`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Topps having trouble selling boxes??

Topps having trouble selling boxes??
Was just on Blowout doing some window shopping since I have no extra money it's all I can do. I noticed large Price drops/sale prices on 2012 product and even recent releases like Bowman are included. Are the consumers starting to vote with their wallets and sending Topps a message by buying just the singles or am I reading too much into this?

RE: Topps having trouble selling boxes??
I have noticed a lot of different product fluctuating in price almost like single cards lately. It seems like every time a certain player gets super hot the product that has a big card of that certain player gets a big bump in price. I hate it.
[Image: iH7PVE8.png]
[Image: haze_zps7d62355a.jpg]

Every product Topps has released so far in 2012 is a nice product. There's no voting with their wallets... Wallets are dictating what is being purchased. Card collectors live in a bubble and it's bursting for many. I've just been clinging on since 2007.

I don't believe many of US realize how small the card collecting community has become. At least with actual COLLECTORS. Like I said... BUBBLE and a handful of collectors/dealers swapping the same money back and forth.

I'm not putting my beloved hobby down, but some people need to step out of the bubble before they suffocate. Smile

(05-24-2012, 08:43 AM)Haze28 Wrote: I have noticed a lot of different product fluctuating in price almost like single cards lately. It seems like every time a certain player gets super hot the product that has a big card of that certain player gets a big bump in price. I hate it.
I believe that is called the Strasburg Effect. I got back into collecting in 2010 and what a zoo that was. I was in shock at what cards of unknown players were going for and the sky high box prices. Made me think of the Griffey Jr and Gregg Jefferies days except a helluva lot more expensive
(05-24-2012, 08:51 AM)0mattinglyalexander0 Wrote: I'm not putting my beloved hobby down, but some people need to step out of the bubble before they suffocate. Smile
I am starting to believe I am probably one of those people. I am hanging on by a thread.

Try actually collecting. Smile Stop acting like it's gold you're purchasing "for future value".

By the way, Gold will be worthless in about 50 years. Yep. Write it down.

I do believe the people that buy in the hopes of scoring a big hit that is going to net them profit is destroying everything. The card makers are bowing to them though with all of these crazy SP's and low numbered refractors that are basically like winning the damn lottery when you pull one. That is what is making it too expensive for the real collectors. I haven't sold anything in almost 10 years lol.
[Image: iH7PVE8.png]
[Image: haze_zps7d62355a.jpg]

(05-24-2012, 09:19 AM)0mattinglyalexander0 Wrote: Try actually collecting. Smile Stop acting like it's gold you're purchasing "for future value".

By the way, Gold will be worthless in about 50 years. Yep. Write it down.
Trust me I know it's not gold. Maybe Fools Gold. I really don't get into the prospecting thing so future value isn't too big to me

I love to bust boxes when I have the extra cash. I do it for the enjoyment and set building. I will try to sell any of the bigger hits to offset some of the cost and use the rest for trade bait. To make any money you have to bust 20+ cases and work it like a business or get lucky. Might as well buy lottery tickets.
[Image: Sig.png]

(05-24-2012, 09:19 AM)0mattinglyalexander0 Wrote: By the way, Gold will be worthless in about 50 years. Yep. Write it down.
The zombie apocalypse will make lead more valuable than gold.

(05-24-2012, 09:30 AM)ty_slocumb Wrote: To make any money you have to bust 20+ cases and work it like a business or get lucky. Might as well buy lottery tickets.
EXACTLY. And that's what most dealers (eBay dealers anyway) do... and it's starting to bite them. I tried it with one case of '11 Bowman draft. No Go..... and I actually got some decent hits AND 5 of the 13 hits I sent in for grading got 9.5's. I listed all 13 graded on eBay... only 3 of the 9.5's sold... only 6 cards total sold and final sales was only around $450. Then minus listing, final value, paypal & shipping fees. I think I got around $325 in the end. ZERO profit. Then take away my time and shipping material... not worth it at all. I wasn't doing it to strike it rich, just to maybe break even and buy another case. Lather, rinse and repeat. With what I pulled and the grades they got, I figured I'd at least make back the cost of the case. Sad

I do the same as many of us do... sell what I don't want. I'm fine with base chrome autos for a set... sell the refractor autos. Can't even come out on top doing that now. Refractor autos, 1/1's are no where near what they were 6 years ago.

Last good turn I had was in 2006. Pulled an Billy Rowell Orange Refractor... not signed, just refractor... sold it for $350. seems like a dream now.