`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Topps having trouble selling boxes??

RE: Topps having trouble selling boxes??
I couldn't agree with 0mattinglyalexander0 more. Selling out of my 'investment' type cards and focusing on buying what I truly want has made collecting as a whole so much more fun.

Did I make some money prospecting...yep. Did I lose a lot more, yep. Did I enjoy it...I liked the big cash ins (I feel like I owe David Wright and Melky Cabrera thank you cards).

Do I like this stack of Lastings Milledge Chrome autos sitting here...it makes me friggin' cringe.

Do I like this 1959 Topps set I've been piecing together? I love it. The HOFers are up on the wall looking like a piece of 50s Americana. I wouldn't have it any other way.

(05-24-2012, 12:42 PM)clarkzac Wrote: I guess I don't see how those cards should have covered the cost of the case. The only big name is Bradley. USA autos don't sell for a whole lot yet. With those USA autos and refractors they will sell better once they are drafted
I'm not sure why so many people think you can make money breaking a box or a case and selling off the individual cards. Sometimes you can, but more often you can't. If you could always sell the cards for more than the box, why would Topps bother with the boxes? They could just sell all the individual cards themselves!

Breaking boxes or cases is a long way from a sure money maker, despite what some people seem to think.

(05-24-2012, 01:10 PM)dpatera Wrote: I'm not sure why so many people think you can make money breaking a box or a case and selling off the individual cards. Sometimes you can, but more often you can't. If you could always sell the cards for more than the box, why would Topps bother with the boxes? They could just sell all the individual cards themselves!

Breaking boxes or cases is a long way from a sure money maker, despite what some people seem to think.
I never said that breaking boxes and cases are the way to make money. I'm saying that if it is done right it can happen. I hardly ever bust boxes. Generally I just grab a couple of packs to get my fix. I was just saying that you have to sell more than just 13 cards from a case to make your money back generally
[Image: 2013%20Ginter%20Signature_zpsraq8vd9t.jpg]

I think it says more about online prices + shipping than people not buying because of anything Topps has done.

Also Topps ser. 2 is due out in a couple weeks so makes sense they'd be dropping the price on ser. 1 at least to make room.

(05-24-2012, 09:51 AM)0mattinglyalexander0 Wrote: Last good turn I had was in 2006. Pulled an Billy Rowell Orange Refractor... not signed, just refractor... sold it for $350. seems like a dream now.
Wow! I don't know who Billy Rowell is, but he must be a star to pull that kind of money.

(05-24-2012, 03:27 PM)Vols-1 Wrote: Wow! I don't know who Billy Rowell is, but he must be a star to pull that kind of money.
Just got a 50-game suspension for drugs, actually. Not trying to be a buzz kill.

(05-24-2012, 07:06 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Just got a 50-game suspension for drugs, actually. Not trying to be a buzz kill.
He was probably a hot prospect back then but never panned out so he resorted to PEDs
[Image: 2013%20Ginter%20Signature_zpsraq8vd9t.jpg]

(05-24-2012, 09:19 AM)0mattinglyalexander0 Wrote: Try actually collecting. Smile Stop acting like it's gold you're purchasing "for future value".

By the way, Gold will be worthless in about 50 years. Yep. Write it down.

What are you even talking about?
My Bucket - w/ PC & Up For Sale Scans (NOT BACK UP TO DATE YET)

(05-24-2012, 09:03 PM)clarkzac Wrote: He was probably a hot prospect back then but never panned out so he resorted to PEDs
It was marijuana.

(05-24-2012, 07:06 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Just got a 50-game suspension for drugs, actually. Not trying to be a buzz kill.
It's amazing what hype and and a short hot streak will do to a players cards. It's simple, if one collects for financial gain and as an investment they're basically gambling against the odds and bound for disappointment. If on collects for the passion of the game, the team or the players they love then they'll enjoy a fun satisfying hobby. The true value is in the memories made collecting, trading and remembering the players that made history big or small.