`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting back in the hobby

RE: Getting back in the hobby
(05-23-2012, 12:16 PM)ThyKingZG Wrote: what does this mean? just buying cards outright off ebay/lcs? one at a time? i suppose that's one way, i'd like to get them from packs of course with the "thrill" of the rip......anyhow.
"Thrill of the rip" and "bang for your buck" really don't coincide! Busting boxes really is a crapshoot. I've pretty much totally gotten away from it and just buy singles I want off ebay.
[Image: IconmsBannerFinal3.jpg]

(05-23-2012, 12:16 PM)Krangry Wrote: Singles are the way to go, stay away from blasters, and stick to hobby boxes. If your looking to get back in to get that big hit to flip stop now, as its one in a million.

Decide on a PC, and buy boxes that fit into it.

I wasted a TON of money on busting wax when i first started back, and REALLY wish i would have bought singles instead.

If your looking to collect rookies you can never go wrong with the Bowman products.

This is probably the best advice you will ever get.
http://s1014.photobucket.com/albums/af262/dayton310/

DO NOT TRADE: MGRUBER2 DO NOT TRADE: MGRUBER2
R.O.A. (DO NOT TRADE) THE GREAT 48

(05-23-2012, 12:23 PM)Krangry Wrote: Singles i mean single cards off of Ebay or check out my cards.

Hobby boxes generally arent sold at your walmart. target etc. They can have as little as 1 or 2 packs depending on the box, and can go up to close to $300+ for a box.

PC is Personal Collection, or what you choose to collect.
right but hobby boxes ARE sold at lcs right? in single packs?

but it's better to just buy a complete hobby box for yourself instead of a single pack out of a hobby box at the lcs?

(05-23-2012, 12:35 PM)ThyKingZG Wrote: right but hobby boxes ARE sold at lcs right? in single packs?

but it's better to just buy a complete hobby box for yourself instead of a single pack out of a hobby box at the lcs?
Hobby boxes are sold at LCS. And it depends on what you are looking to do. If you just need to scratch the itch to rip packs just buy a couple. Usually when I buy boxes to bust I usually want to put the set together. Its all up to you really
[Image: 2013%20Ginter%20Signature_zpsraq8vd9t.jpg]

(05-23-2012, 12:35 PM)ThyKingZG Wrote: right but hobby boxes ARE sold at lcs right? in single packs?

This is correct, and if you buy a sealed box you are guaranteed the hits, if its a opened box / a few packs you never know what youll get, or if the hits are gone from the box.
[Image: n0Ji6.png]

and if your trying to make sure the box is a hobby box look over the box it will say somewhere on there hobby edition, or on individual packs there is usually a spot in a corner that says hobby. the difference isnt just autos and jersey cards, usually hobby packs have a better chance are printing plates and what not, retail packs have no garrentee of any kind of hit in the box and hobby usually garrantee(itll say on the box it depends how many 'hits' on what product it is). as for which product is the best, I believe that Bowman / Bowman Chrome is pretty much the standard as far as Prospects / rookie cards.
[Image: 2choicesig_zps9f1610c4.gif]

thanks for all the feedback, is there a thread somewhere for news to the hobby? that someone could link.

First, if you are looking to flip cards you are playing the lottery. We all know the odds on that.

2nd If you collect Rookies and first year cards Bowman, Bowman Chrome, Bowman Prospects, Bowman Chrome Prospects, Bowman Sterling, Bowman Platinum, and Donruss Elite are the way to go.

3rd If you have a certain player in mind buy the cards. It will be chaeper

4th if there is a certain team you would like to collect buy a box of cards, keep your team and trade off the rest of the box for your team collection. That way you will have some trade bait.

5th Not every box will get your money's worth. Lets say you buy a 100.00 box and the highest card you pull is 10.00bv you just lost the lottery. In most cases if you buy a box you will double your money if you add in all the card values together.

If you are like me. You will collect every star, every HOFer, Every Rookie, Every auto, Every game used, Every game used auto and every relic. That is why I buy boxes. My collection consists of all these things. and it is cheaper for me to buy boxes rather than singles.

One more thing I will need to add. Like Bowman products for the rookies. You will need to hold onto them for at least 5 years. Some of the guys are still in high school. Lets give and example. Brennon Boesch you could not give away his card in 2007. Today last year he made stardom and several collects now are hunting for his cards. Just like in football Ryan Grant 2005 rc same thing happend to him in 2010. Now he has cooled off a bit and his cards are more stablized but he is not considered as a common more like a semistar to star. heck I dont even know if he still plays.

When dealing with rookies it mainly has the attention of pateint collectors not flippers. Every box will not have a Darvish auto, Jeter auto, Ripken auto, or Pujols auto.

If you are looking to flip try Topps Sterling. Very expensive lottery tickett. I seen bust and I have seen great success. the question is do you have 200.00+ to gamble?
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

stay away from boxes and cases... just buy singles. only buy what you need/want and you will be a happy person. if you buy boxes, you may get a $5 dollar auto card (thats your big hit of the box) and a bunch of cards that you didnt want.
[Image: angelsbanner.jpg]

If you want to bust boxes and get the best bang for your buck, I recommend picking a base set to put together. That's what I do. That way, if I don't get a good hit, its not a complete bust. I still have cards that will go towards my set. I could save money buying the set. But I enjoy paying more to put the set together with packs.
Collecting 2010 Bowman, 80s oddball rookies, and '89 Griffeys.