`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Let me get this straight...

RE: Let me get this straight...
Common sense says it's the seller's card and he can do what he wants with it. We all know that. It doesn't mean we can't express frustration and call the seller out for gouging and being a predatory "SOB".

Ive stopped posting a lot of sets and even have made some sets private in my photobucket because of this as well.

This hobby was supposed to be fun and not cause undo stress. Buying to turn a profit is fine, especially when you swim with the other sharks doing the same thing. This stinks for true collectors because you need the card and you are stuck arguing over who is screwing whom in a deal for it.

I've seen people intentionally buy stuff I'm looking for and mark it up for 4x or higher to try to sell to me.

I've learned to do without. If I have a set w/ 34/35 cards, I'll live with it.

I see this all the time on other sites.

But, what truly is a reasonable mark-up on a card any way? There're an awful lot of bragging on both ends on the boards...

Buyer: "Look at this great steal...."

Always embarrassing for the seller, especially when they are made fun of on the boards for being an idiot and not knowing what he had.

Seller: "Look at how smart I am for getting this idiot to pay x amount for this...."

That was an actual quote! This is why there is so much shilling these days.

I don't fault a seller for trying to get his money back and make a profit. It's insane and unrealistic when the seller overpaid to begin with, the item then drops precipitously in value and then the seller tries to screw someone else because of his mistake.

For example, spending $400 for a Matt Ryan rookie that at it's prime was selling for $300. Seller marks it up to $600. Two years later, it is selling for less than $200. You offer $275 and the seller says you are lowballing or block you.

I've had this fight too many times with seller/collectors who are in the hobby more for profit. That's fine, just not at 4X the expense to me!

In the end, you just have to hope people become less selfish and greedy. If not, accept it for what it is and just move forward. Karma catches up to all of us eventually!

My brother in law is a picker and does it for a living. They basically do the same thing, buy stuff cheap and flip it for a profit. I don't agree with it but he hasn't had to work in 2 years so more power to him I suppose. I can't stand it but that's the way it goes, had some guy buy a 3/10 Ian Kennedy booklet I REALLY wanted of eBay for 45 and now he's selling it for 130.00 buy it now, it stinks but that's the way the world is these days unfortunately.
[Image: drdwe0.jpg]

(05-16-2012, 07:39 AM)melcmd Wrote: ...For example, spending $400 for a Matt Ryan rookie that at it's prime was selling for $300. Seller marks it up to $600. Two years later, it is selling for less than $200. You offer $275 and the seller says you are lowballing or block you.
I get this all the time with my Sam Bradford stuff. One seller has some really nice stuff, but it is SOOOOOO overproced. Turns out, the seller lives here in Oklahoma, which makes things worse, since that is where Bradford played his college ball. I tried to get him to drop his prices, but he blocked me instead. The only saving grace is, he still has all his overpriced cards I need.
[Image: sds_zpsc4ba5032.jpg]

You are already missed

I lost out on the 2011 Finest Superfractor of Matt Stafford by $1 at the last second...for $180. Shortly thereafter the seller lists it on ebay for around $800 (because it's PRISTINE). He tells me he can't sell it for less than that because it will "easily" grade out at a 10.

I told him a grade on a 1/1 doesnt raise the price too much, as there is nothing to compare it to. But he doesn't agree.

So, he sent the card in after a long time of him saying he was going to do so...apparently, it wasn't as "PRISTINE" as he thought, as it came back a PSA9. However, he now has it listed on ebay for $1750 OBO....which is CRAZY
[Image: rsz_stafford.jpg]
[Image: e4YJ0.png]

(05-15-2012, 08:37 PM)chibearsboy Wrote: yea...i dont even like to post my sets anymore because of the greedy pigs with the cards i need..
i need a dark alley and 3 minutes with any one of them...
just once...
like finding a pack searcher in wally world.......
a dream come true to pull the prick in the parking lot and teach him some manners....it would be for the kids of course.
Tongue
(05-15-2012, 08:38 PM)chads-cards Wrote: Jeff trust me I dont need 3 minutes haha
(05-16-2012, 12:37 AM)jncdrew Wrote: Please, please call me when you do, please!!!!! I want to get in on that!
Big Grin
And........What are you guys going to do?? Get on your knees and do whatever it takes to get er done?!!! :p

OP, it happens to all of us! At least yours is only in the hundreds of dollars range!

(05-15-2012, 08:22 PM)chads-cards Wrote: Yeah theres a colbert I want but they are asking $100...theve sent it to auction before with a starting price of $50 and it got no bids...so wy not lower the price?
It's ok bro, I run a mantique booth, and I'm in an even more awquard boat. I like buying press photos because they're cheap...but my recent source has gone off the deep end...he'll start an auction at 9.99...if it doesn't sell he then lists it at BIN 29.99 OBO because it "costs more to do that kind of auction." He won't even take a 9.99 ea if I want to do a BULK deal

...explain that one Tongue lol, cause if it doesn't sell at 9.99, it'll definitely sell at 30 LOL

Needless to say I need to find a new source!
[Image: logo1_zpsad67d293.jpg]

11-12 UD Hockey w/ YGs: 438/500 (88%)

DO NOT TRADE LIST: chargers2427, mrmagnum75

See you are looking at it wrong.. You know who has it now. There is two main shipley guys and we both know "they" wont pay that much for it. So let him keep it safe for ya.

I know the pain. They have already begun to do it with my Dan Herron stuff. I'm the only one publicly collecting him...
Eddie George Super Collector

(05-16-2012, 11:24 AM)ZeroDave Wrote: I know the pain. They have already begun to do it with my Dan Herron stuff. I'm the only one publicly collecting him...
Wink

(05-15-2012, 08:22 PM)chads-cards Wrote: Yeah theres a colbert I want but they are asking $100...theve sent it to auction before with a starting price of $50 and it got no bids...so wy not lower the price?
I see this alot with my Guy's 1/1's they have them for a $100 for years and still they don't go down. My guy drops out of the NFL and they still don't go down. And I am thinking the whole time. At what point does it costs him more to relist it over and over then they are going to make off it?
(05-16-2012, 11:24 AM)ZeroDave Wrote: I know the pain. They have already begun to do it with my Dan Herron stuff. I'm the only one publicly collecting him...
Yep once its public it all goes up. A guy has a card of a Safety I collect. He goes through my bucket and sees I collect him after I ask if its for trade. He then changes from a trader to a seller of an Extremely RARE card that he stated earlier has been sitting in a box for 2 years. And instead of being a $5 shipped card it is now a $35 card since its so rare. Makes you wonder if instead of saying hey we are collecting so and so, Maybe we should be writing I hate SO and SO he's a terrible player and would never buy him!!!!
[Image: cbeg-2.jpg]
http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b21/Da...or%20Sale/
Chris Henry Collection Items:811/423 MEM:307/152 AUTO:395/175 Ser #'d:711/343 RC:38/37