`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
contest

contest
so i am trying to get rid of all of my basketball stuff and i am not having any luck selling it. i broke it into 10 lots and some of the "chaser cards" if you will are the following.....

glen rice rc
charles barkley insert
demarcus cousins rc
greg monroe rc
scottie pippen
devin ebanks rc
brandon jennings insert
shaq 2nd year card
charles barkley
vince carter /249 insert
andy rautins rc
magic johnson
marc gausol /249 insert
shaq 3rd year card
paul pierce insert
derrick rose insert
solomin alibi auto /99
shaq 2nd year card(another 1)
tiny gallon rc /999
dennis rodman insert 90's
tayshon prince insert /49
john wall rc
michael redd insert /499

To enter all you have to do is post your favorite player of any sport and any decade and why....

there will be 10 winners and the contest will end this sunday

I DO ASK THAT YOU PAY A 3 DOLLAR GIFT VIA PAYPAL FOR SHIPPING!!!
if not i wont send you the cards

RE: contest
Hands down Jerry Rice. I was born in Sacramento and had a father who is/was a die hard 49ers fan. We went to training camp one year and Jerry Rice came to the fence and signed an autograph for me. I was only 6 years old and I could not believe this giant would take the time to notice me. I followed his career with great interest until his retirement. I remember trading any card I had for one of his, it really did not matter who I was giving away. I am still a 49ers fan and I believe Jerry Rice is one of the greatest receivers to ever step out on the field.

Cool contest, thanks for the opportunity.

michael jordan.......complete definition of a winner/and prime example of what motivation can do. got cut from the varsity team in high school.....went to be the best basketball player in nba history. hands down. avoided jawing through the media, and would wait until he was on the court against you to make you look like a fool by actions, not words......(6 three's in a row after hearing through a press conference he couldn't shoot from the outside).....
Always looking to collect Carmelo Anthony patches and autos

Still offering 20 dollar finders fee for anyone who can point me to the T or Y of 07-08 Topps letterman set.

Check My Melo PC on my bucket.
http://photobucket.com/nateadamsdubvmelo

[Image: ZfsEI.png]

I'm gonna have to go with Roger Federer. Seems like an obvious pick given his incredible dominance during the middle of the last decade. In one season, I believe it was 2005, he went 92-5. By comparison, Djokovic's astounding run last year ended at I believe 70-4. He does absolutely everything as well as anybody in the game. His game is beautiful to watch and looks so effortless that anybody who doesn't play the game probably watches him and thinks they could play at that level in a matter of weeks lol.

What I think is most remarkable, however, is his presence and persona on the court as well as off. He admits that, as a world-class junior player, his demeanor was far less impressive than the calm player he appears to be now. He routinely threw racquets, broke racquets and cursed at himself. As a sport psychology doc student and former college tennis coach, I have seen many talented players self-implode due to poor mental skills. The fact that he simply decided one day to stop acting this way on the court, and then actually DID it, is nothing short of incredible.

Off the court, other professionals often remarked that they really wanted to dislike him during his dominant years, but they just couldn't because he was so relaxed and likeable off the court. I worked at the Master's series event in Cincinnati a couple of summers ago and was unfortunately stationed on the opposite side of the show court that Roger Federer poked his head out of to watch the match that was taking place. He started chatting with the worker on that side, who was astonished that, just an hour before a Master's series match, the #1 player in the world was just having a casual conversation with a volunteer. He's truly that nice, and that is something to be valued and admired, IMHO.

Wow, that got lengthy. My bad! But that's my pick! Smile
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

[Image: buckunteer_edited-2-1.gif]

This may not be a popular pick with the way the Pistons have been playing the last few years, but my favorite professional athlete is Joe Dumars.

He doesn't have many awards and accolades to show, but that's one of the things I admire most about him. He came from a small town and small school in Louisiana and was drafted by the Pistons (I believe the first from his town). Within four years, the Pistons won the first of back to back championships. He was always a floor general, showing everyone where they should be without being arrogant or overly abrasive. He's always been a likable and humble guy. So humble and likable that they created the Sportsmanship award after him. When they made that announcement, I was almost in tears (I think they made that announcement at his retirement). One of my favorite moments, and I wish I remembered what year let alone what game, I remember Joe hitting a three at half time from half court with two defenders on him.

One of the things I also like about him most is for his unrelenting work ethic and his ability to stop who some (not me, lol) consider the greatest to ever play the game, Michael Jordan. No, he didn't stop him to the tune of only getting 15 pts a game, but his stats were noticeably less when Joe defended him. Michael has even said multiple times that the team he hated to go up against the most was the Pistons and more so Joe D. And Joe would never gloat through the media, on the court or anything like that. He was always thinking about the next play, not celebrating (he did, occasionally, when they won championships). He's a great role model.

Now, onto the business side of things, when you have the owner talking to you before you retire that they want to make you the President of an Organization, that says something right there. They didn't say that to Isiah when he retired, nor Bill Laimbeer. Now, everyone may think he was stupid for drafting Darko instead of Melo or Wade. However, I think it was a smart decision. I have nothing against Melo or Wade, but I understood his thinking. Joe was from blue collar roots and played for a blue collar team and wanted to build a blue collar team. He had already brought in Chucky Atkins and Ben Wallace in the trade involving Grant Hill, then he picked up Richard Hamilton, Chauncey Billups. He drafted Darko and everyone thought that was a mistake. Midseason trade for Rasheed Wallace and we win the championship that year. The Pistons have the same number of championships as Wade does (more than Melo) and just like Miami last year, had a very close shot for a second in 2005 (took SA down to 7 games). People are also upset at him for the Pistons down hill slide since 2008-09, but I can't fully put the blame on him. Ben leaving for money, Stuckey not fitting with Iverson (I understood the Chauncey trade, but it didn't work, hindsight is 20/20), major injuries to Hamilton, Gordon (first major injury of his career, involving a touchy area - ankle), and Villanueva (wasn't fond of signing him from the get go), the owner dying and the club being in limbo of being sold. The only thing I didn't like that Joe did, though I was willing to give it a chance, was hiring Curry and then Kuester as coaches. But I think Frank was a good hire. I think Knight and Monroe were great picks. I think resigning Tayshaun, Jerebko and surprisingly Stuckey were good moves. We finished the season 21-21 after a horrid 4-20 start. Teams have to rebuild at times, and I like his ethic of doing it the right way.

Sorry for how long that got and WAY off topic, but I like Joe D's focus, determination, humbleness, characters and vision. I will always look at him as my favorite professional athlete and favorite professional.

Thanks for the contest.
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards

You guys are over achieves. Making me feel bad with my small posts Sad. Lol
Always looking to collect Carmelo Anthony patches and autos

Still offering 20 dollar finders fee for anyone who can point me to the T or Y of 07-08 Topps letterman set.

Check My Melo PC on my bucket.
http://photobucket.com/nateadamsdubvmelo

[Image: ZfsEI.png]

If I had to pick one, damn, picking one is hard. Ok, I feel like I'm giving the finger to Muggsey Bouges, Dell Curry and all the other old school Hornets, but Larry Johnson has to take the cake. In those formative 5th, 6th 7th grade years, he was the man. The Hornets first All-Star, and likely one of the first 3-5 packs of cards I ever opened had his rookie card in it with the ugly shirt and everything from that Skybox with the weird graphics and colors what was it? '91-'92? I had to have the Grandmama shoes with "react-juice" and my sainted mother actually got them for me! Just such a personal attachment to him, and the way he played and feeling bad about the way he was just sent packing at the first sign of his back issues.

Loved that guy, but I've just started to appreciate his play. The rebounding, the physical nature of his play. I remember watching him in those final four games, as a Duke fan, and hating his guts, but then when he came to the Hornets, he was the man. Between he and Zo, the Hornets were the greatest, pulled me into the NBA and into the hobby and has carried me on in those thin years while we had no team and even now when we have a team but it really doesn't seem like it here in Charlotte.

Awesome thread and awesome contest, thanks.

bump, thanks for all of the responses so far but i need more people! Hard to give away 10 lots of cards to 10 people when there isnt that many people commenting

Reggie Miller. I been a big fan of his as a kid. He's arguably one of the best showman in the NBA and best trash talker of all time. It doesn't matter to me anymore if he never got a ring. He's a HOF now. Come on, I don't think many can score 8 points under 10 seconds especially when a playoff game is on the line. Respect!

vinsanity! Mr. Air Canada !Half man and Half amazing! The ultimate show growing up. You could not watch espn without seeing his highlights. Rookie of the year, slam dunk champion , voted fan favorite for all star game three times. Basically took every team to the playoffs with him. Been traded so many times and still a threat to this day. Lucky number 15!