`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Maybe we are TOO particular

Maybe we are TOO particular
As both a buyer and occasional seller of sports cards on various avenues via the internet I also browse great online communities like the one here on Beckett.com. I can think of so many great helpful users here that have PM'd me with great words and stories or have posted in threads helping me or other users. You guys (*ahem* and gals) are awesome.

Frequently the same issues arise for all of us. Overcharged on shipping, delivery method of cards, type of packaging, etc... and then we make a thread describing our situation, how it's unique to the other threads of similar topic, and seek advice on how to proceed.

Today I had a minor delivery of three cards from 2 sellers and once I took stock of it I said, "Damn I really am turning anal retentive."

See the first card was an auto of a Saints rookie that I paid $9.99 with free shipping. When I pulled the PWE out of the mailbox that said "DO NOT BEND" steam rose from my head like on a cartoon. The card is fine. It's in a top loader and looks great, Mr. Toon is unharmed. Still this guy needs to be taught a lesson! I'm giving him negative feedback!!! I stormed to the computer and logged in and he's got 12K positive feedback, not so much as one neutral or a negative and that's 12k unique buyers if I interpret correctly as the tally next to his name only lists uniques. "Wha wha what????!!!" All these people were okay with similar packaging? Common sense tells me he didn't randomly say, "NO!!!! A SAINTS FAN!!! PWE FOR YOU!!!!!" So I 5 starred him on everything, I mean really it was paid for on May 2. In feedback I had enough room to write, "card arrived fast, safe, & as described but in a PWE - just an FYI." And, egg in my face, he states in his listing cards sold for less than $10 he ships that way. So take the lessons from all of that that you will.

My second seller sent me two Saints cards from the most recent national treasures release. I'm still scratching my head on this one. The first card, a jersey card, arrived hanging out of the top loader by about 25%. Through miracles of the deity of your choice, it was not harmed. I indicated the exact thing via feedback but left positive and all 5 stars.

The second card was an auto of a 2011 draft pick and I was salivating at the National Treasures auto of one of my team's rookies! THIS top loader had tape on the top, a frequent collector peeve, and my card was STICKING TO THE TAPE!! GAH! SCANDAL! Get the heart paddle thingies!!! I was able to get the tape off in 30 seconds and through my decent enough eye sight see no tape goop on the edge, and my auto is safe in a different holder now.

I thought about it, looked at this guy's feedback, and again butt loads of positive feedback and one neutral which I quickly dismissed as a miscreant looking for a handout, "oh noes the large lot of cards you sent me had duplicates." I put the first feedback, "card 1/4way out of toploader, but not damaged. shipping was quick" and after I hit submit said, "I can do better." and on the 2nd card I wrote, " arrived fast and undamaged" then I sent the seller a message detailing each card and how I will refuse to beat him up over it as they're for my PC and I sell at times too. I continued that I've encountered some loons too and refuse to participate in lunacy.

As I was about to hit submit on this thread, this seller messaged me first in response to my feedback, apologizing then he saw my message and responded again that he will be amping up quality control with his packager (if his life is like mine: his lady/partner).

Now a few months back I had 2 cards arrive in a padded mailer, loose. No top loader, no penny sleeves, nothing. The seller had two feedback. So I sent him a message with card selling tips, left positive again with a warning.

I just figured I'd share these musings with you guys. I'm not saying I'm right or your wrong if you disagree with me. Just throwing some perspective out there.
Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas

Hobby instagram

RE: Maybe we are TOO particular
Love the post-haven't we all been there? I have to say, I pulled the trigger WAY TOO fast one time in a similar situation. I received a card that was going into my pc and it was delivered in a PWE and just in a soft sleeve. The card appeared (tomy very untrained eye) to be safe. I was so ticked that I left negative feedback and then received a message from the seller practically crying. Next time I will handle it differently, but as a seller, if ya don't want negatives, you should do your best to ship safely.
[Image: AllthingsOregon2copy.jpg]

As long as the card arrives as described, I am happy.

JonathanI
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

I totally agree with you, while I always ship in bubble mailers I had the same thing happen to me where someone didnt even put them in penny sleeves or toploader. I was thinking of giving him negative feedback but then I thought to myself, its a set that I am working on and if he asked me to ship them back and refund my money I would refuse so I gave him a fivestar. I guess IMO it really is what kind of risk as a seller you are willing to take and if the card arrives safe and in good condition what else could a buyer ask for? My biggest gripe right now is with the postal service, I am about the same distance between two and in both it depends on who is waiting on me as to what they charge to ship a bubble mailer. Thats frustrating to me.
[Image: TotallySports.png]
Collecting Steven Jackson, Sam Bradford, Peyton Manning, Derek Jeter,Andre Ethier, Clayton Kershaw, Rickey Henderson, Kobe Bryant
http://s992.photobucket.com/user/datsyukguy/library/

Great post! I wonder if sometimes the sellers only sell and do no collecting themselves. As us collectors, we are particular on how we like to receive our cards. And only think another collector that is selling would understand.
Eddie George Super Collector

(05-09-2012, 02:25 PM)totally sports Wrote: I totally agree with you, while I always ship in bubble mailers I had the same thing happen to me where someone didnt even put them in penny sleeves or toploader. I was thinking of giving him negative feedback but then I thought to myself, its a set that I am working on and if he asked me to ship them back and refund my money I would refuse so I gave him a fivestar. I guess IMO it really is what kind of risk as a seller you are willing to take and if the card arrives safe and in good condition what else could a buyer ask for? My biggest gripe right now is with the postal service, I am about the same distance between two and in both it depends on who is waiting on me as to what they charge to ship a bubble mailer. Thats frustrating to me.
I just had this experience...no top loaders, not even penny sleeves. However, 2 of the cards were bent and are completely useless to me. It was a 5 card lot I paid $14 for...so just a junk trade bait lot...but still, 40% of the lot was destroyed. Am I wrong for thinking I should get 40% of my money back?

Jim

(05-09-2012, 03:01 PM)vannestjc Wrote: I just had this experience...no top loaders, not even penny sleeves. However, 2 of the cards were bent and are completely useless to me. It was a 5 card lot I paid $14 for...so just a junk trade bait lot...but still, 40% of the lot was destroyed. Am I wrong for thinking I should get 40% of my money back?

Jim
No you are not, if my cards would have been damaged I would have requested a refund for them. I was just stating that my cards were still in good condition. To me thats the risk he took for shipping them that way.

[Image: TotallySports.png]
Collecting Steven Jackson, Sam Bradford, Peyton Manning, Derek Jeter,Andre Ethier, Clayton Kershaw, Rickey Henderson, Kobe Bryant
http://s992.photobucket.com/user/datsyukguy/library/

(05-09-2012, 02:43 PM)ZeroDave Wrote: Great post! I wonder if sometimes the sellers only sell and do no collecting themselves. As us collectors, we are particular on how we like to receive our cards. And only think another collector that is selling would understand.
Good point!! I know sellers are trying to save money, but they risk losing it all for the price of a toploader and penny sleeve!!

Penny sleeve, toploader. Put it in a team bag and then a bubble mailer. Doesn't cost the earth and saves a lot of hassle.

Good post. The way I look at it, I paid for someone to get me the card in a stated condition. As long as that is accomplished, I don't care if a carrier pigeon delivered it unprotected in it's beak.

Thankfully 99.9% of my purchases and trades have been packaged very well. I have not had the PWE show up yet.

However, there was one purchase 2-3 years back that really irked me. It was for some Magic cards, like 200 or so if I recall correctly. No big hitter book values, but definitely some cards I was looking for to make decks with and I believe shipping was about $5 on top of the final auction price. 100% intended for playstock not my private collection. So I open up the mailbox one day to find a Priority Mail envelope, the thin cardboard variety for letters, not the bubblewrap one, stuffed to the brim with cards. Around 30% of them were bent badly. All of them had edge damage. Since they were only for my playstock I wasn't too concerned though my anal retentive side was definitely angry. The more I thought about it though the more upset I got - what if I was trying to get cards for my daughter or a younger cousin for their birthday? Kids don't want to get gifts that are damaged...

So while I agree with the general sentiment from the OP, there are definitely cases of absolutely no respect coming from the sellers. I sell as well as trade and I take pride in ensuring no damage comes to anything I'm sending. Then again, I probably got that from my mom who uses like a whole roll of packing tape for every box she sends to my daughter lol

Oh and as others said, I do believe there are many eBayers that are basically day traders and don't really know much about collecting and taking care of cards.