`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Why Does it Take Card Buyers So Long to Pay?

RE: OT: Why Does it Take Card Buyers So Long to Pay?
what I love is how you get 50 bids in the last hour, someone snipes it and takes two weeks to pay it off Sad if you're sitting there in the last 5 seconds (yes, I do know there's programs that will do that for ya Wink) you could at least pay right away as well Wink

but trust me it's not just cards, any form of memorabilia takes forever to get payment nowadays Sad

(05-01-2012, 07:00 PM)melcmd Wrote: That's one of the reasons sellers want to get paid quickly. If the item goes out and is received within about 24 hrs the funds are available.

It probably works both ways. Slow shipping doesn't bother me for a $5 card. It stinks when the card is over $100+ and the seller is slow. If all funds were held, all sellers would ship faster.

However, this buying and selling is a hobby for most people. Some people have regular jobs and may not always be on line. I almost am never at my computer when my own auctions end (as a seller or bidder).

It's bad, I know. When a seller lists that he will ship in 3 or more days, I feel like he can wait to get his money like I have to wait on him to ship my purchase. He gets his money instantly and I still have to wait for the postal service. If the seller ships the next day, I try to go out of my way to get him his money quickly.

One other thing. I've noticed more buyers paying later as well. It's been my experience that a lot are also sellers and are waiting on their recent funds from selling are available from Paypal. This is the problem with Paypal and ebay holding up funds.

But like it was mentioned, communication is the key.
See now that I fully agree with and it works both ways. If I'm willing to ship items same day or next day if payment is made after PO hours, then the buyer should have the courtesy to pay just as quickly.
On the flip side, there are sellers that say up 5 days for shipping time, to me that's unacceptable and they shouldn't expect to be paid quickly. These days you never have to go to the PO if you don't want, print it and stick it in the mailbox with the flag up, or throw it in a drop box.

I fully understand people don't wait by the computer, but 24 hours is more than enough time to pay for something. Those buyers I have no problem with, but past that you're most likely just waiting for pay day and shouldn't have been buying to begin with.

I see it as an "I'm the only person on the planet" attitude. By that I mean they have no respect for the seller or the other buyer who may have paid for it right away, I won the auction or hit Buy it Now and I'll pay when I damned good and ready. (not directing any of that at you Mel, just adding to my statement, LOL)
[Image: Evil_Dead2.gif]

(05-01-2012, 04:23 PM)all day baby Wrote: I think a new part of the 'problem' is some buyers use smartphones with an eBay app, so they can bid and win via their phones, but might not trust said phones to actually PAY for what they have won. They will wait until it is convenient (and safer) for them and pay at home from their PC/Mac.

Personally, if I'm at home when I win an auction, I pay in a matter of minutes. If I'm out, but in town, I wait to pay when I get home. If I'm out of town when I win, then I contact the seller... but I try my best not to bid on items when I know I won't be in town when the auction ends.
Yup, I do this. Buy alot using the ebay app but don't pay till I get home. If I go over to the girls place after work and stay there for the day I may not get the chance to pay for a couple of days. I try to contact the seller tho.

I will say - lately I've been buying on a whim and winning (2 PC BIN eBay , and one auction) - paid immediately - but am on my iPad.

It's that darn echeck crap. PayPal is linked to my bank acct - so I don't know why it's not instant. Heck - they don't take it from my acct until they approve it - bought a program Friday : money taken out today (PayPal approved today).
[Image: bbd5_1.jpg][Image: beachebay3-1.jpg]

(05-01-2012, 07:21 PM)pbean Wrote: what I love is how you get 50 bids in the last hour, someone snipes it and takes two weeks to pay it off Sad if you're sitting there in the last 5 seconds (yes, I do know there's programs that will do that for ya Wink) you could at least pay right away as well Wink

but trust me it's not just cards, any form of memorabilia takes forever to get payment nowadays Sad
LOL, yeah that's one of my favorites! They bid with 2 seconds left, but 4 days later eBay automatically opens the unpaid item case.

I mean I'll admit, before I started the business I always just figured that was how eBay was. You've got your people that do pay fast, but then a quickly growing group that just takes forever to pay.
It wasn't until like last week that I started to realize, you know these knife and outdoor gear buyers pay QUICK, I never had people consistently pay this fast when I mostly sold cards. It was then that I knew it had to have something to do with what the item is.

The biggest thing is like I and several others have said... If you need a few extra days to pay, perfectly fine, but TELL the seller this, don't just keep shrugging them off.

After reading this thread again I got nostalgic to the early years on eBay when most people sent payment via money order or personal check. You want to talk about having to wait to get paid. I remember waiting 2 weeks to receive a personal check and then waiting another 2 weeks for the check to clear. Oh how times have changed and now we want everything done instantaneously.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(05-01-2012, 09:19 PM)djohn Wrote: After reading this thread again I got nostalgic to the early years on eBay when most people sent payment via money order or personal check. You want to talk about having to wait to get paid. I remember waiting 2 weeks to receive a personal check and then waiting another 2 weeks for the check to clear. Oh how times have changed and now we want everything done instantaneously.
I remember those days well!
Paypal was tiny and there were all the other online payment things. I think one of them I used the most other than Paypal was Billpoint. Does that sound right? Swear it was Bill-something.
Now we can't even accept them for the sole reason of more Paypal fees, LOL. They could say it was safer for the buyer all they wanted, FEE DRIVEN.
Basically what annoys me most is just the lack of communication, that and the fact that I've got $100 worth of card auctions staring me in my face in the "awaiting payment" section.

(05-01-2012, 09:19 PM)djohn Wrote: After reading this thread again I got nostalgic to the early years on eBay when most people sent payment via money order or personal check. You want to talk about having to wait to get paid. I remember waiting 2 weeks to receive a personal check and then waiting another 2 weeks for the check to clear. Oh how times have changed and now we want everything done instantaneously.
Your 100% right. Were all spoiled. Thanks for waking me up.....

2012 Beckett "Super Collector"

This one is easy to me... Once you secure your card by winning an auction, youre not in a rush to pay. Cause once they get it, its going in a box. Knife and gear guys want that stuff NOW. So they gotta pay quick to play quick! Big Grin
But Like ev1 else, I pay that day or the next morning. And it still takes some sellers 6 days to print a lable from home, lol.
Hope you get your $$ soon man.
[Image: davisban2bcopy4.jpg]

(05-01-2012, 10:07 PM)the great 48 Wrote: This one is easy to me... Once you secure your card by winning an auction, youre not in a rush to pay. Cause once they get it, its going in a box. Knife and gear guys want that stuff NOW. So they gotta pay quick to play quick! Big Grin
But Like ev1 else, I pay that day or the next morning. And it still takes some sellers 6 days to print a lable from home, lol.
Hope you get your $$ soon man.
Very good point brother, very good.

Honestly I'm in no rush to get the money, don't HAVE to have it. Just kinda found it odd once I realized it.