`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Never again!

RE: Never again!
Thanks everyone for the words of reassurance and yes I think I will begin to focus on my vintage collection.

I stopped buying boxes 2 years ago my pcs have EXPLODED with depth because of it
[Image: marksig1.jpg]
STAN MIKITA CUP FOUNDATIONS
MATT SMABY CUP PRINTING PLATES

BUCKET LINK

Boxes are basically scratch off lotto tickets. If it bothers you that you will usually end up with nothing of note.... don't buy them. Leave them for us gamblers.

I agree to a certain extent box buying is garbage, I just look for the value boxes (discounted product typically 1-3 years old). Alot of the newer premium products are big hit, big miss. You used to be able to buy a box and get 3x book value for your boxes. Even if you couldn't sell the cards for squat. You still had value... Nowadays most boxes are lucky if they can pull = book value. I have not quit buying boxes in total but I have probably shifted 90-95% of my hobby money into singles and 5-10% of that in boxes.

You spent 109.00 on Crown Royale?
[Image: 0a0d6456-0c97-44b9-873b-79f839312664_zpstsdq3axa.jpg]

I agree that boxes dont really have much value these days and most everything is just filler stuff. I only bust like 4 boxes a year and only do it because it is a lot of fun of not knowing what your going to get. But I live by 2 rules when busting boxes. 1. Dont do it looking to make your money back. 2. Dont buy something so expensive your gonna feel like slitting your wrists for even if you pull a $100 card. Singles are the way to go for player or team collectors. But some people only collect to get the joy of busting boxes so leave that to them I guess if its not working out for you too well.
[Image: nthnoak.jpg]

Looking for 49er Autos and Kobe Bryant.

http://s829.photobucket.com/albums/zz216...r%20Trade/

I have shifted to singles ONLY, except when my LCS gets 2012 lead draft in (I have opened 11 boxes and broken even so far with at least $300 left in sell value) singles are the way to go unless you find the diamond in the rough of products, like 2011 topps chrome fb when it first came out is a good example
Betts Hursh Kimbrel Smile

[Image: bd2740c1-d591-4332-b7b1-0528f205c994_zpsdbff6c02.jpg]

(04-20-2012, 03:39 PM)BigBadBootyDaddy Wrote: I'm with all those saying singles is the way to go. I only bust about 1 box a month, 2 depending on my financial restraints; and I only do it for two reasons:

1. Trade bait. it's the best way to get something that someone else either on this site or at the lcs will want to trade with me for.

2. Instant gratification. I love ebay, I hate waiting 4-5 days to get the cards I buy in my hand. At least if I bust a box, I get the cards I pay for when I pay for them.
until you get a redemption that takes almost a year to come in and then its not even close to the player you were supposed to get! biggest thing I hate is pulling one of those!.... I feel like I'm giving the card companies a loan ! they take 25% of my money on a promise they will send a redemption at a MUCH later point if at all!

PC - Dolphins, Daniel Thomas, Parker, Ajayi, Jordan, Landry & Phins 1/1's

(04-24-2012, 03:21 AM)phinzphan1372 Wrote: until you get a redemption that takes almost a year to come in and then its not even close to the player you were supposed to get! biggest thing I hate is pulling one of those!.... I feel like I'm giving the card companies a loan ! they take 25% of my money on a promise they will send a redemption at a MUCH later point if at all!
+100000000000000000000000
nothing pizzes me off more than pulling the dreaded "IOU. . . maybe. . . someday. . . " card.
And Panini is the undisputed king in that regard.
NY Giants and HOF/legend/superstar collector.
[Image: GiantsFade.png]