`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Fall of Sidney Crosby?

The Fall of Sidney Crosby?
Any thoughts on whether this 1st Round series is doing permanent harm to Crosby's legacy? What if the Pens get thrashed in a 4th straight game?

Will getting swept in the 1st Round matter in the long run? Or will it become an insignificant blip in a long illustrious career, one of the crazy unpredictable things that just can happen in the Playoffs?

My two cents...

A large part of the Crosby mystique comes from his success (at a young age) in the playoffs. His regular season per-game stats have been the best in the league and trending up, but the thing that sets him apart from other suitors for Best Player in the World (like Stamkos, Ovechkin, Giroux, Datsyuk, and even Malkin) is that he wills teams to championships.

Other players have put up comparable numbers but Crosby is considered "next-level" precisely because he doesn't allow his team to lose the way they did in Game 3 with so much on the line, with so little dignity. If he's healthy and his team's healthy and they lose, it is going to have to be a game 7 SCF fight to the proverbial death against a Red Wings dynasty...or at least it was.

Personally, I don't know if I'll ever look at Crosby the same way after this weekend.
LOGAN COUTURE | MARTIN ST. LOUIS | JEREMY ROENICK | JONATHAN TOEWS
Malkin | Iginla | Datsyuk | Kane | Larionov | Thornton | Fedorov
(Link) Gimme Your: 09-10 SP Authentic | 09-10 Ice | 07-08 O-Pee-Chee

RE: The Fall of Sidney Crosby?
crosby is a defenseman?

I think this series has finally exposed Crosby for what he really is.. an overrated, crybaby, punk kid. He is, without a doubt, a great player. But he is not the "Great One" or anything even close, and, many times (especially this series), he's playing more after the whistles than between them
[Image: finlandbanner.jpg]
Bucket - http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/phildonu37/ (I don't update my bucket when stuff is gone)

i dont like crosby, believe him to be overrated. HOWEVER....

the problem in this series is not the Pen's offense, it's the abhorrent lack of anything resembling a defense

(04-16-2012, 06:44 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: i dont like crosby, believe him to be overrated. HOWEVER....

the problem in this series is not the Pen's offense, it's the abhorrent lack of anything resembling a defense

I 100% Agree. Not sure to the same extent, he is incredibly skilled.... I dont think you can judge him too harshly on this years playoffs, yeah i know the guy is touted as this and that, but for crying out loud, he cant score/set up/have a part in 9 goals a game, when the defense and goaltender is that leaky.... And put in to the equation that hes not seen over a year of action in the last 2.... C'mon guys! If you're gonna hang it on of the offensive guys blame Malkin - AT LEAST HES BEEN THERE ALL YEAR. Dont be haters, be objective, if anything else it was time for the rest of the team to stand up and say "We aren't a one man team/one trick pony"

Just my opinion, no matter how unpopular/how much ill get yelled down for being Australian, whatever. Im not his biggest fan either. Give a guy a fair go, thats our way of life...

Steve.
[Image: nemesisbanner2.gif]

Sig by tha_penguin

After Joe Thornton serial #1's

Joe Thornton PC: (515) 11.36% Joe Thornton #'d 01/xx: (37) 1.34%
Owen Nolan (260) 15.63%
Couture (37) Demers (26) Sateri (23)

AFTER: TOMAS HERTL, HARRI SATERI

im not a crosby fan but i blame the three losses thus far on the penguins as a whole. what good is the offensive fire power if you cant defend your own zone stop the puck from going in? id blame fleury and the defense first before pointing at crosby

I think crosby did exactly what he should have done as a captain. He tried to do anything he could to get inside philly's head to disrupt their momentum. He even fought to try to spark his team to get it together. Watching that game i saw more emotion, more frustration, more feeling, more desire to win and the helplessness that comes with not, than I've ever seen in any playoff game of the wings. The Penguins desperately wanted to win and you could see that when they did not. I watched the wings game (being from detroit, i watch a lot of wings games) and one thing i've always said they lacked was emotion. Did anybody catch the last minute of the game? I sure did. They had no worry, no stress, no lay it all on the line push to get it to the net. To me, I felt that the wings thought if they lost that game, no biggy, and to me, that's unacceptable. In playoffs, you play like every game is your last. And the penguins blew 2 games and got destroyed in the 3rd, but i felt the way they felt as a fan.
Looking for: Brandon Nolan, Manon Rheaume
Trilogy Ice Scripts / Ultimate Collection Premium Patches
2011-12 Upper Deck Ice / 2008-09 Upper Deck Ice
1995-96 Bowman / 1995-96 Select Certified / 1995-96 Playoff 1 on 1
2014-15 Upper Deck MVP / 2005-06 Upper Deck Ice Fresh Ice Patches

Crosby just returned remember. Wait until he gets a full season in next year and is in the full swing of things. The Penguins team as a whole has been lacking in the 1st round. Where'd Malkin go???

What the HELL happened to Fleury??? I honestly think the hype of Jagr and Talbot going against their former team has gotten into their heads (even though they won't admit it).

All you Crosby bashers.... hahahahaha, you'd love him if he were on your fav team.
How is he overrated??? He's made the things happen and accomplished the things that got him his rating.
I think you need to double check the definition of overrated. Ovechkin is overrated (well, was).

The stanley cup is not won by a single player. A single player can lead a team there but all parts must be playing their role to the highest level. It's just not there in round one... but it's also not over.
[Image: TPnewbanner.png]
MARIO LEMIEUX COLLECTION = 1263 listed cards

(04-16-2012, 08:17 AM)tha penguin Wrote: Crosby just returned remember. Wait until he gets a full season in next year and is in the full swing of things. The Penguins team as a whole has been lacking in the 1st round. Where'd Malkin go???

What the HELL happened to Fleury??? I honestly think the hype of Jagr and Talbot going against their former team has gotten into their heads (even though they won't admit it).

All you Crosby bashers.... hahahahaha, you'd love him if he were on your fav team.
How is he overrated??? He's made the things happen and accomplished the things that got him his rating.
I think you need to double check the definition of overrated. Ovechkin is overrated (well, was).

The stanley cup is not won by a single player. A single player can lead a team there but all parts must be playing their role to the highest level. It's just not there in round one... but it's also not over.
crosby is overrated not by his doing, but the hype that makes him the second coming of gretzky. he isnt, period. probably best player in the game when healthy. but his rep for nutshots, his supposed softness...there's a lot of reasons people dont like him. but mostly because his has been overrated by the media for years, elevating his position in the annals of the league to something it isnt

You guys are looking at this all wrong......it is because the Flyers are that good offensively .....I can say this for both teams their D and goaltending just is not visible Bryzgalov has upped Fleury 2-3 saves per game ....Lets not forget Max Talbot the lets stick the puck down your throat when you get the man advantage leaving you on the ice with your head hanging in disgust...who would not be ticked ...Max has always been that type of player come playoff time a game changer....Not only is it the Flyers stars but it is also their rookies who are seeing playoff action for the first times Couturier who is perhaps the most mature rookie in the league who has been putting Malkin in check and took it to the score sheet in game 2...or how about Matt Read the little speedster with a pinpoint quick shot ...Giroux ,Jagr,Hartnell the highest scoring line this season....then Briere who come playoff time puts the puck in the net at an alarming rate...just imagine if Pronger was there...you add all those factors in and you have your answer...The Flyers just have that little touch more than the Pens ...2 high scoring teams who's defensive game could use a huge overhaul...wait till round 2 we will see if the defensive game matters....
It is a team sport and you do not take it out on one player Crosby is exactly who he is Crosby one heck of a hockey player with enormous skills 37 points in 22 games this injury ridden season...5 points in 3 games these playoffs.......still productive!