`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Walmart to start selling Hobby Boxes

Walmart to start selling Hobby Boxes

Just got back from walmart. Was browsing for the marked down blasters when I found a hobby box of 2008 topps chrome baseball 39.98...2009 Upper Deck Signature Stars for 59.98.I couldn't believe it. A guy who works there came by and told me that walmart and possibly others will be carrying hobby boxes now.He said he has seen some older hobby boxes but nothing 2011-2012 yet.

Why is this?? I thought retail only carried retail? Either way thats pretty cool. Just thought i'd share if anyone wants to check their stores.
[Image: ge_zpse4f470b2.jpg]
Wanted: Indians, Cavs, Rookies, Inserts,Lebron and Kyrie.

RE: Walmart to start selling Hobby Boxes
(04-13-2012, 10:59 AM)talkntribe Wrote: Just got back from walmart. Was browsing for the marked down blasters when I found a hobby box of 2008 topps chrome baseball 39.98...2009 Upper Deck Signature Stars for 59.98.I couldn't believe it. A guy who works there came by and told me that walmart and possibly others will be carrying hobby boxes now.He said he has seen some older hobby boxes but nothing 2011-2012 yet.

Why is this?? I thought retail only carried retail? Either way thats pretty cool. Just thought i'd share if anyone wants to check their stores.
My first thought would be for old overstock nobody else wants. Otherwise... doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of there being hobby boxes separate from retail boxes?

WHAT!!!! My LCS is an hour away! This is bad news for my bank account and my relationship with my wife. lol. Might have to check it out and see if I can find a bargain in mine. I'm down for some cheap older hobby to quench my thirst until Archives in May.
[Image: bryansbanner2.jpg]
Braves certified auto count: 114 different players
HOF auto collection: 10 players
Looking for Braves auto's of current and former players.

For this who think this is good news, it is far from that. If Wal-Marts start carrying hobby boxes then what is the point of the hobby shop and what would keep them from becoming extinct? This is not gospel for the hobby shop or the hobby at all.

I assume though, as someone else stated, it is overstock from old product.
[Image: broockerd_zpsd0d55e86.png]
Kila Ka'aihue 133/138 Non 1/1s (96% complete) 13/64 1/1s (19% complete)
Auto Needs: http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1529244.html

(04-13-2012, 11:18 AM)dbroockerd Wrote: For this who think this is good news, it is far from that. If Wal-Marts start carrying hobby boxes then what is the point of the hobby shop and what would keep them from becoming extinct? This is not gospel for the hobby shop or the hobby at all.

I assume though, as someone else stated, it is overstock from old product.
Didn't think about it that way when I first saw it. I see where that might hurt not only card shops but all the way down to collectors. Maybe it is just overstock and will never be a new product.

(04-13-2012, 11:26 AM)bryandavidknight Wrote: Didn't think about it that way when I first saw it. I see where that might hurt not only card shops but all the way down to collectors. Maybe it is just overstock and will never be a new product.
They have had some stuff at my Walmart for around a month or so. All older stuff. I think it is older stuff and they just got it cheap. I doubt they will sell new product.

(04-13-2012, 11:35 AM)minitracer Wrote: They have had some stuff at my Walmart for around a month or so. All older stuff. I think it is older stuff and they just got it cheap. I doubt they will sell new product.
my local walmart has hobby boxes on 2010 bowman platinum, 2008 topps chrome, and 2009 upper deck signature stars so far hope that helps

Walmart has always gotten older hobby boxes from time to time. They currently have some 2008 Topps Chrome and 2009 UD Signature Stars at multiple Walmarts near me. I have seen other boxes in the past (including hobby tins of Sweet Spot a few years ago), however usually I can find the same hobby boxes online for less. I believe it is the distributor who buys cases at a big discount several years after the product came out and then marks the original sticker price on them with a sale price that's even lower. This gets some people to buy them without checking what they can find them for online, as they see the discount and think its a good deal.
I do not believe the distributors will be sending new hobby boxes to Walmart as the margin isn't high enough to justify doing so on new hobby product. Plus they know that putting out new hobby product would kill the retail version, as who would buy a retail pack when there are hobby packs right next to them.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

I would be concerned about expired redemptions
[Image: Boston.jpg]

I use to love the mixed boxes that my local Toys R Us used to carry. They would have mostly retail and a few hobby packs in them. Like 15 packs or so for $20. I've pulled many good pulls from those like multiple GU and auto's including a Peyton Manning TOTT numbered to /100 out of a retail pack. Haven't had near the luck with the newer mixed packs at Target, and I would guess this has some to do with pack searching. Those were the good ole days, around 6-8 years ago when I could spend $20 and be as happy as a $200 box these days.