`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are your collecting passions?

RE: What are your collecting passions?
I don have any rhyme or reason. I just like collecting Look at me PC thread that can prove it. Although I do go after Nolan Ryan when I can
http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1462621.html
Make sure you have time and a 12 pack
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

(04-05-2012, 10:46 PM)sxfn4lf Wrote: After a couple years of flirting with this hobby, I finally found what I really want to collect. I'm really starting to dive into Bowman products. They seem to be the sort that have the most room to grow (or in some cases fall). That really seems to be what I like, to watch these young guys come up. It's exciting to watch a $5 auto grow into a $50 auto, and it's kind of exciting to splurge on a big colored refractor and wonder what's going to happen in a couple years. Will I be sitting on gold? Or was it a bad investment? I used to do a bunch of football, but I since traded off/sold everything I have. Of course I still pull for my Sox, so I decided every year I'm going to hoard everything I can find of one Sox prospect I like for whatever reason, and I'll be limiting my box breaks to Bowman, BoChro, and BDPP.

With all that said, what is your collecting passion? Prospects? Autos? Patches? Vintage. What is it that excites you about your preferences?
Sounds more like investing than collecting to me...

(04-06-2012, 09:12 AM)mjbuchanan80 Wrote: Sounds more like investing than collecting to me...
One can take pride in having a card in his PC that grows from $5 BV to $50 BV without having to be "investing" per se. I also enjoy buying Bowman products, and would be happy as a pig in poop if one of my colored refractors or autos happened to be that of a future starting 3B or on and off All Star. Nobody wants to own cards of failed players.
[Image: mP9e9L.png]

(04-06-2012, 09:43 AM)ryancholden Wrote: Nobody wants to own cards of failed players.
There are plenty of people that want to own cards of failed players. Set collectors...team collectors... LOTS of failed players in those sets. H*ll, there are plenty of people that player collect unknown guys (many of whom have "failed").

And sorry if you think I took the OP's words out of context, but " Will I be sitting on gold? Or was it a bad investment?" sounds like an investor to me.

(04-06-2012, 09:55 AM)mjbuchanan80 Wrote: And sorry if you think I took the OP's words out of context, but " Will I be sitting on gold? Or was it a bad investment?" sounds like an investor to me.
I agree. That is not a "collector's" point of view. If you're in the hobby to make money, that makes you an investor. Not that there's anything wrong with that. To each his/her own but don't confuse the two.

I'm a collector and I collect as many different cards as I can get of every Hall of Famer and potential Hall of Famer.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

Mine is as obvious as the nose on your face (see user name). I started collecting baseball cards as a kid growing up in NYC in the late 60's. My mom used to take me to Mets games with tickets she got while working at a downtown NYC bank. My fondest memory was going to game 5 of the 1969 World Series with her and watching the underdog Mets win it all. I took a long hiatus after the baseball strike and picked it back up a few years ago. I bust Bowman products to scratch the wax itch, but more importantly in the hopes of hitting something I can trade for '69 Mets cards/memorabilia. If you're interested in seeing my collection (so far), check out my bucket.
[Image: 1969WorldSeriesTicket.jpg]
I collect 1969 Mets memorabilia and 1960 Topps baseball, nothing else.
My 1969 Mets PC Bucket:
http://s214.photobucket.com/user/d3a3l3e3/library/1969%20NY%20Mets%20PC?sort=6&page=1

2 focuses I have right now.

First, is collecting GU and Auto cards of former Red Sox players. Key being they have to be shown on a Red Sox uni on the card. Currently have over 550 different cards. I hate trading for a card that shows to be a Red Sox card, and the uni is a different team. But it goes back in the pool as trade bait.

Second, trying to put a set of the 2005 Donruss Champions GU together. I love some of the patches and pieces used in the set. I opened up box after box of that stuff several years ago. Now, trying to work on that. Ebay is better for that, and I have picked up some truly unique cards.

(04-06-2012, 09:55 AM)mjbuchanan80 Wrote: There are plenty of people that want to own cards of failed players. Set collectors...team collectors... LOTS of failed players in those sets. H*ll, there are plenty of people that player collect unknown guys (many of whom have "failed").

And sorry if you think I took the OP's words out of context, but " Will I be sitting on gold? Or was it a bad investment?" sounds like an investor to me.
(04-06-2012, 09:55 AM)mjbuchanan80 Wrote: There are plenty of people that want to own cards of failed players. Set collectors...team collectors... LOTS of failed players in those sets. H*ll, there are plenty of people that player collect unknown guys (many of whom have "failed").

No, no... you didn't take words out of context at all. I'm just saying that I would probably post something similar as to the OP, but in my mind "gold mine" isn't neccesarily $$$, but more the excitement to show my boy... for instance having a Starlin Castro RC, which is his favorite player. But yes, if gold mine equals selling on the bay, you are spot on! Sorry to mix words.

Also, about the failed player bit. Sure if you are a set/team collector, you'll have plenty of "failed players" in your collection. And let's say you have a connection to a player for whatever reason (born in same town, like his name, went to your alma mater, or whatever), you obviously see much more in that player than "never made a 25 man". What I am saying, is that if I go to Target and buy a box of BDPP and pull a card (any card....base, auto, whatever) of some dude I've never heard of, have no connection to and failed to even reach the Triple A ball club, I'm not going to be real excited? But if I pull a card of a guy that turns into a perinial All Star, now I'm going to be pretty pumped.

You are correct on both accounts, I'm just trying to clarify my thoughts.
[Image: mP9e9L.png]

I collect Rookies, Autos and Game Used of my teams HOF'ers, current roster and build sets for years when they had notable post season performances. Im currently going nuts with hockey and The Cup rookies (New York Rangers).

I think the Twins will have a better than expected year and have also been picking up Bowman Chrome 1st's.

As for the OPs prospecting desires, its fun to have exciting cards of the guys youre gonna watch all season, especially the rookies because of the great unknown.

I get it. I just dont do it anymore. And be careful about using words like investing, youll set yourself up for failure. I did a ton of that in the 80s and when I looked back at my PC this year I felt no connection whatsoever to guys like Ruben Sierra, Mike Greenwell, Eric Davis, John Smiley, Danny Tartabull, Roberto Kelly etc.

When I look back at my PC I just wanna see lots and lots of Orange and Blue (Mets); Red, White and Blue (NY Rangers/Twins)); Green and Red (Wild) and Viking Purple.
-:Mets:-:NY Rangers:-:Twins:-:Wild:-:Vikings:-

Just to clear things up, I'm not looking at this from an investing point of view. But to me it's cool to pick something up and either watch it go ten fold in value, or watch it tumble (okay that isn't as much fun). But what I'm getting at is, it's cool to go out , watch these players, read about them, learn about them and decide which ones you think will be successful. Eventually I'll be able to show my future children "you see this Stephen Strasburg autograph?" and I'm gonna get one of two responses... "WOW, you have his autograph?" or "Who's that guy?". Everyone wants their collection to be worth something. Look at those that bought Pujols back in the day, and still own them. Don't you think they are happy with their purchase? Just like I said later in the postings, I'm still looking for another set to complete, and am picking one Sox prospect to collect hard. I don't think that resembles investing. Never mind the fact I'm still buying up Jose Lima autos. Surely those won't be skyrocketing anytime soon
[Image: 9cef0db8.jpg]

Always interested in quality Barnes, Red Sox, and Patriots