Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NOOB in need of veteran trader advice
Lightbulb 
NOOB in need of veteran trader advice
I just bought my first hobby box last night. 2010 Topps Platinum Hobby.

I'm curious to know what boxes are worth buying? I have some common sense when it comes to football cards but I don't know which brands are cheap and don't hold value.

What are some manufacturers that I should always buy from or does it matter?

Topps, Upper Deck, Panini, Donruss, and so on...

I'm starting an exhaustive collection of Tim Tebow starting from high school.

Thank you for your time

RE: NOOB in need of veteran trader advice
For licensed stuff, it's basically Topps and Panini. Upper Deck has some good stuff, but isn't licensed, so it is fine as long as you are ok with getting college uni's. Other than that, it will depend on the set itself, not the brand. Topps and Panini have both made some great stuff this year and they have both made some awful stuff this year.

- Contenders (Panini) is a winner every year, holds it's value very well.
- SP Authentic (Upper Deck) is always a winner.
- Topps Chrome is also another winner every year.

I think those are the 3 that are extremely popular every year. (Which means they hold their value well) I also did VERY well with Topps Supreme this year if you don't mind the gamble. It's pretty cheap, but you only get one hit. 8 of the 12 in the case have an auto, you're pretty screwed on the other 4. :-) If you have the money to spend, Five Star (Topps), Exquisite (Upper Deck), and National Treasures (Panini- and usually my favorite every year) are the high end products. You can get some AMAZING pulls from them, but you will pay for it.

My advice is to watch youtube breaks for whatever you are interested in and see what is coming out of them. Plus, it's very entertaining! (IMO)

(04-05-2012, 01:08 PM)joe callahan13 Wrote: For licensed stuff, it's basically Topps and Panini. Upper Deck has some good stuff, but isn't licensed, so it is fine as long as you are ok with getting college uni's. Other than that, it will depend on the set itself, not the brand. Topps and Panini have both made some great stuff this year and they have both made some awful stuff this year.

- Contenders (Panini) is a winner every year, holds it's value very well.
- SP Authentic (Upper Deck) is always a winner.
- Topps Chrome is also another winner every year.

I think those are the 3 that are extremely popular every year. (Which means they hold their value well) I also did VERY well with Topps Supreme this year if you don't mind the gamble. It's pretty cheap, but you only get one hit. 8 of the 12 in the case have an auto, you're pretty screwed on the other 4. :-) If you have the money to spend, Five Star (Topps), Exquisite (Upper Deck), and National Treasures (Panini- and usually my favorite every year) are the high end products. You can get some AMAZING pulls from them, but you will pay for it.

My advice is to watch youtube breaks for whatever you are interested in and see what is coming out of them. Plus, it's very entertaining! (IMO)
Hey man this is invaluable advice. Thanks! When I get paid next check I'll look into getting a few of these hobby boxes.
I'm seriously looking for a gem mint 2012 AFC wild card Tim Tebow. I hope I can get one. That game was what brought me back into the hobby.

Yupp I agree with joe, panini stuff and topps are solid buys
http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/bigjohn79/
NEED:Tom Brady, Big Ben,P Manning, LUCK,Tannehill RC AUTO contenders for my PC!
[Image: bigjohnbannercopy.jpg]

Panini and Topps are great, however, if you're a Tim Tebow guy Upper Deck may be your go to. He and Sam Bradford were its big draws so they feature heavily in 2010 products.

So SPA, SPX, and Sweet Spot are great products for college uni's, and of course Exquisite is probably the great get if you can afford it.
As far as lower cost mid end goes, I like Crown Royale. And for Lower cost/lower end, Epix is good (even has Timmy on the box)
[Image: Gdgj0.png]

PhotoBucket

Top 5 Auto Needs
1. Elijah Pitts
2. Oscar Robertson "Big O"
3. Giannis Antetokounmpo "GA34"
4. Aaron Rodgers "A12R"
5. Aaron Rodgers "A8R"

I like topps chrome and Magic, Five star and Plates and Patches. I also like contenders. If your looking for Tebow, get your organize together. I have some Tebows I will trade you.
Who Dat Nation, Who Dat Pride!!!!!!! I am all about New Orleans and collecting Saints memorabilia.

[Image: imagesCAB5DF6E_zpsc77d5e81.jpg]

http://s448.photobucket.com/home/codenamelawman/index