IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Condition" What's Your Preference?
Question 
"Condition" What's Your Preference?
Greetings Everyone,

I just recently joined a few weeks ago as I just got back to the hobby to start a collection with my son. I have not pulled the trigger on listing cards as "trade for/trade away" just yet, due to the following concern;

Should I allow the default of "8" remain as the condition of all my cards as my opinion of a 9 rating may not be your rating of a 9. My concern is, most traders list their wants as "9" and I do not want to be overlooked just because I allowed the default of 8 to remain even though I may have a card worth the 9 rating.

The other option is to honestly rate my cards as best as possible and place a 9 where I believe it is deserved. Then offer to send a photo of the actual card to any potential trader and have them decide for themselves if they agree with my rating. The drawback is, I don't want anyone thinking I'm overating a card just to grab attention and waste someone's valuable time.

What is the best way to handle this or your preference?

RE: "Condition" What's Your Preference?
(03-30-2012, 01:08 PM)starben1827 Wrote: Greetings Everyone,

I just recently joined a few weeks ago as I just got back to the hobby to start a collection with my son. I have not pulled the trigger on listing cards as "trade for/trade away" just yet, due to the following concern;

Should I allow the default of "8" remain as the condition of all my cards as my opinion of a 9 rating may not be your rating of a 9. My concern is, most traders list their wants as "9" and I do not want to be overlooked just because I allowed the default of 8 to remain even though I may have a card worth the 9 rating.

The other option is to honestly rate my cards as best as possible and place a 9 where I believe it is deserved. Then offer to send a photo of the actual card to any potential trader and have them decide for themselves if they agree with my rating. The drawback is, I don't want anyone thinking I'm overating a card just to grab attention and waste someone's valuable time.

What is the best way to handle this or your preference?
Another thing to be wary of is that if you use the Organizer's "Duplicate Item" function the duplicated item gets a default of a 9 instead of an 8.

I personally leave all my stuff at the default of 8. If I were to come across a trade someone wanted to do and I noticed the card was scuffed or had some other damages I would definitely let the trader know before we agreed to the transaction.

It still bugs me that in today's day and age of all this great chrome, refractor, high def photos, etc, we can still open a pack of cards from a sealed box and end up with screwed up corners, scuffed bottoms, "zipped" edges.

8 unless it is graded higher.
[Image: n0Ji6.png]

I put most as an 8 except for graded cards or some newer cards with sharp corners and good centering. i will mark those as mint and will trade them as mint. i dont want to be stuck trading mint cards for a bunch of near mint or dinged cards.
I am the resident super collector of David Wright. I also collect Jose Reyes, Michael Jordan, Brett Favre, Antoine Walker and Rookies.
Set needs- 2007 bowman chrome and draft refractors -69% complete
Over 500 trades on beckett since joining in 1999
[Image: FG4Hq.png]

Thank you for your insight. It is greatly appreciated. 8 it is!

Looking forward to making friends and making all transactions a great one.

Happy Trading!

I give my cards my own, honest, untrained condition grades. I have never had a trader say he was displeased with what I noted, but my comments show many that have said the cards were "better than described". My repeat traders show I am doing something right. I like that.

That said, if someone mails me a card he called an "8", it had better be an "8" if he expects positive feedback.

JonathanI
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

8 is the standard for pack fresh. I wouldnt grade higher unless it is professionally graded or your ready to make a sales pitch w/ scans. Anything lower than an 8 I would set as you grade it. Ive passed up MANY trade offers when I see their ORG is loaded with vintage all marked 8. I dont even counter offer as I dont want to have to keep asking and going back and forth on card conditions. Its worth it to take the time to accurately enter your cards in ORG.
[Image: Pinstripe2.jpg]
I need 2007 & 2008 Topps Sterling Base Cards #/250
My Bucket

I completely agree and love the statment, "8 is the standard for pack fresh".

Since my son and I are just getting started from scratch. Everything I have is pack fresh. All cards have been immediately placed in penny sleeves and top loaders from sealed packs. Unless, there is a noticeable mark, way off centering, obvious damaged, dented, or rough corners and edges, most cards should qualify as an 8.

Point taken and will be applied.

Thanks!

Welcome to the boards as well! There's a LOT of knowledge here, so don't be afraid to ask.