Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crazy TTM mailday!!!
Video 
Crazy TTM mailday!!!
As a Dutchman I have always had love for Rik Smits who was at his peak when I was in my teens and spent most of my time playing basketball myself.

Now others will probably remember him for one of two moments, 1) his behind-the-back pass in the 1998 All-Star Game or 2) the game-winning buzzerbeater in Game 4 of the 1995 Eastern Conference Finals, tying the Series 2-2 (although they wouldn't make it to the Finals though).

In commemoration of this moment I designed a booklet that shows the shot (I used the photo from a 1995-96 Collector's Choice ShowTime card) and on the inside describes the sequence of events in the hectic last minute of the game. On the back it has Smits's career stats.

back - front - inside front in one strip:
[Image: full1small2.jpg]inside back:
[Image: inside2small.jpg]

As an investigation expert (I have seen like 70% of all CSI episodes) I found out Smits's current address and thought I'd try my luck. I just sent the page I wanted signed (not the whole booklet) to save on postage and to be able to have it sent as a letter to avoid customs.
I actually sent two copies of the page in case he wasn't happy with the auto on first attempt.

Anyway, on the 9th of March it went along with a letter and a preview of the design to the address that I had found. To my great surprise on Monday I already received the return-envelope back and here's what was in it:

[Image: img9497f.jpg]
^^^^ he signed both copies and
[Image: img9502z.jpg]
^^^^ he actually signed the draft design with a note saying "greetings from Indy" in Dutch - absolutely amazing

Needless to say I was completely amped about getting his signature (although in the video I may not sound like it - shell-shock effect). I know he's not considered the greatest player of all time, but for me personally he's a hero. Having received his signature for the booklet that captures one of the highlights from his career is an absolute thrill for me and I can't wait to get started on it and actually make it.

Thanks for looking/reading!

RE: Crazy TTM mailday!!!
That is So awesome dude congrats

WOW that is insane!!! What a great sport of Rik, very nice story as well....Grats!
Players I Collect:

[Image: NewBanner_zps183e3df7.jpg][/URL]

Henderson Auto PC Stats:
Non 1/1's Autos: 193/202 95.5%
1/1's: 22/37 59.5%
Jersey #'d - 65

very nice

Nice, Smits is a stand up guy!
Collecting Bob Feller, 1951 Bowman, anything Cleveland.

[Image: SonnyDay.jpg]

Very cool and very creative..

Just an awesome thread. I really enjoy stuff like this. It must have felt great receiving that in the post. You deserve it.

Very Nice, Great story I love how he signed the draft design with a note saying "greetings from Indy" in Dutch. Congrats!

As an investigation expert (I have seen like 70% of all CSI episodes) lol
Photobucket