`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magic Johnson buy's the Dodgers

RE: Magic Johnson buy's the Dodgers
According to Forbes, the Dodgers are only worth $1.4 billion. The Yankees, of course, is the franchise worth the most at $1.85 billion.

(03-29-2012, 06:31 AM)fulltritty Wrote: According to Forbes, the Dodgers are only worth $1.4 billion. The Yankees, of course, is the franchise worth the most at $1.85 billion.
Yup, agreed. The "Johnson Group" OVER PAID obviously. They should be able to get that franchise turned around though and make tons of $$ in the long run.

The next highest bidder was about 600 million behind.. Lol. Insane either way you look at it.

Honestly, if I won the MEGA MILLION DOLLAR LOTTERY, which is at 365 million i think, I would probably look to invest in something like that for sure.

Also, I think MJ had to sell his portion of the Laker's to get into the mix of things.

(03-28-2012, 03:03 PM)elfeo013 Wrote: if Magic has any more money left... he should pay for more police officers to be at Dodger stadium to keep the gang bangers in check. Impossible to wear a non-dodger jersey there without something happening to you or people that are with you.
I heard this was a big reason families have not renewed their season tickets.

First off I want to say I am a Dodgers fan and I might be a little biased in my opinion. The way I look at this is like a baseball card. The card books for 1.4 billion but its a 1/1. The card shows up on ebay and if you want it, you know you might have to overbid. There is no guarantee you will ever see this card again so you bid 30% above book value to make sure you get it. In this case, we are talking about the Dodgers. One of Americas greatest franchises. Its almost a guarantee that they will be making tons of money in the future. Most if not all fans will be back at the stadium this year. We have to remember that other than last year, the Dodgers usually placed first and sometimes second in overall attendance. People in LA love the Dodgers. It sounds like a lot of money now, but eventually this franchise will return to its former glory. I hope...

(03-29-2012, 08:01 AM)mickey7mantle7 Wrote: Yup, agreed. The "Johnson Group" OVER PAID obviously. They should be able to get that franchise turned around though and make tons of $$ in the long run.

The next highest bidder was about 600 million behind.. Lol. Insane either way you look at it.

Honestly, if I won the MEGA MILLION DOLLAR LOTTERY, which is at 365 million i think, I would probably look to invest in something like that for sure.

Also, I think MJ had to sell his portion of the Laker's to get into the mix of things.
mega millions is 500 mill, and its all mine !

(03-29-2012, 09:13 AM)Blue_Horde Wrote: First off I want to say I am a Dodgers fan and I might be a little biased in my opinion. The way I look at this is like a baseball card. The card books for 1.4 billion but its a 1/1. The card shows up on ebay and if you want it, you know you might have to overbid. There is no guarantee you will ever see this card again so you bid 30% above book value to make sure you get it. In this case, we are talking about the Dodgers. One of Americas greatest franchises. Its almost a guarantee that they will be making tons of money in the future. Most if not all fans will be back at the stadium this year. We have to remember that other than last year, the Dodgers usually placed first and sometimes second in overall attendance. People in LA love the Dodgers. It sounds like a lot of money now, but eventually this franchise will return to its former glory. I hope...
I am a dodgers fan as well (especially when Nomo was on the team), however there is no way that they are going to be able to recoup that money, unless they basically sell the team for the Tv rights.

They Spent 2.15 billion for the team, and inherited almost 750 million in debt, and not only that, sold the most valuable part, the parking lots and land around the stadium (250 + acres) to McCourt and his buddies for a measley $150 million, now they are going to have to raise parking prices, to pay the rent on the lots, concession prices, (a hotdog, will be outrageous, let alone a beer, etc...) and ticket prices to the game, I foresee more and more families, not going to games, except for maybe once a year.

they are really going to have to make a killing on the TV rights, to even come close to being able to afford the team, and drop all relationship with frank mcCourt and his buisness.

the bucket
http://postimage.org/Shez

WANTED:
2006 FLAIR SHOWCASE SIGNATURES #/35

I'm sorry for the Dodger fans who had to put up with the McCourts personal problems and bad ownership. I hope they never return to Boston and certainly grateful they did not own the Red Sox. Hopefully they are never seen in baseball again!!!
Ted Williams/Vintage Red Sox collector

(03-29-2012, 10:15 AM)shezdoni Wrote: I am a dodgers fan as well (especially when Nomo was on the team), however there is no way that they are going to be able to recoup that money, unless they basically sell the team for the Tv rights.

They Spent 2.15 billion for the team, and inherited almost 750 million in debt, and not only that, sold the most valuable part, the parking lots and land around the stadium (250 + acres) to McCourt and his buddies for a measley $150 million, now they are going to have to raise parking prices, to pay the rent on the lots, concession prices, (a hotdog, will be outrageous, let alone a beer, etc...) and ticket prices to the game, I foresee more and more families, not going to games, except for maybe once a year.

they are really going to have to make a killing on the TV rights, to even come close to being able to afford the team, and drop all relationship with frank mcCourt and his buisness.
I agree with most of the things you mentioned and I believe they will make a killing on tv rights. I've read articles that state they expect the tv rights to be auctioned for around 4 billion. Maybe even more. The Dodgers do not have to recover the money in a year. They will eventually recover over time. I think the right group bought the team and I think things will get better once they start winning.

(03-29-2012, 10:40 AM)Blue_Horde Wrote: I agree with most of the things you mentioned and I believe they will make a killing on tv rights. I've read articles that state they expect the tv rights to be auctioned for around 4 billion. Maybe even more. The Dodgers do not have to recover the money in a year. They will eventually recover over time. I think the right group bought the team and I think things will get better once they start winning.
+1 They will make a killing on the TV rights. And regardless of personal opinion of Magic Johnson, the man is tremendously successful AND I can't imagine that he lined up a bunch of financial idiots to buy the franchise. The Dodgers as long as I can remember have drawn incredible attendance numbers. I wish Magic the best...keep the team intact and let's get back to the days when we produced 5 consecutive ROY. Where are the O'Malleys when we need them?

Collecting:
Matt Kemp AUTOS
Dodger GU & AUTO
2009 Ultimate or Legendary Collection Quad / Auto - ALL
Mantle cards
2001 Fleer Greats of the Game AUTO 92/94 - 97.8% complete - missing Stargell Redemption Card and Mays SP
National League Rookie of the Year - GU, Auto, RC
____

McCourt does not still own the lots and land around the Stadium outright. He has merely joined the group in a limited way to PARTIALLY own the lots and land for future development. Before he was a crappy baseball owner, McCourt was actually a decent real estate developer. It pains me to say anything nice about the man because I hate him so much. I wish he would just shrink away from public life. That being said, as long as he doesn't have anything to do with the on-field operations of the Dodgers, or the financing of the team, I couldn't care less what he does with the lots.