`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Questions for those who have been to the National.

RE: Questions for those who have been to the National.
(03-19-2012, 05:51 PM)ozzieguillen13 Wrote: I know that you see Chicago and are thinking downtown Chicago. It is actually in Rosemont, IL which is about 15 miles from downtown and can be up to a 45 minute drive depending on traffic. Hotels are going to be cheaper, food is going to be cheaper, etc. Just something to keep in mind. I would imagine that hotels right by the convention center will be more expensive trying to draw the show-goers and dealers, but the further out you go, you will find them cheaper.
Thanks for the info, that is something to consider.
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards

You have got some great info already but still thought I would throw my .02 in. I went last year to the one in Chicago and it was an absolute blast! I loved every second of it, but it can be very overwhelming. A couple of things I would consider.

1. Use the map of the showroom floor to track your progress, and plan your route. It is easy to get distracted and wander into the abyss. Then it is really hard to keep track of where you have been and haven't been. If there is a booth you passed b/c it was busy make a note on the map to come back to it. Believe me it is overwhelming.

2. I wouldn't bring your pc but maybe make a list or print out your collection on here so you know exactly what you have and what you need. I just brought a shoebox full of cards that I could put in my suitcase for trade bait on some high-end stuff. I had good luck bringing stuff that was regional specific. For example I brought a bunch of Blackhawks, Cubs, and Bears autos and memorabilia. The dealers will usually be willing to trade for these because they know they can sell them at the show.

3. Bring a notebook that is easy to handle and a pen/highlighter etc. for marking things off your list and adding things you got, b/c like previously mentioned you will find some things you didn't know existed.

4. Base and Inserts IMO went very cheap at the show last year. I found reasonable prices about everywhere I went. Know your bv's and sell values. Haggle for the prices you want, these dealers are trying to get rid of cards.

Hope all this helps. Oh yea and +1 on the folding chair and the rolling suitcase.

(03-20-2012, 08:46 AM)rob024420 Wrote: You have got some great info already but still thought I would throw my .02 in. I went last year to the one in Chicago and it was an absolute blast! I loved every second of it, but it can be very overwhelming. A couple of things I would consider.

1. Use the map of the showroom floor to track your progress, and plan your route. It is easy to get distracted and wander into the abyss. Then it is really hard to keep track of where you have been and haven't been. If there is a booth you passed b/c it was busy make a note on the map to come back to it. Believe me it is overwhelming.

2. I wouldn't bring your pc but maybe make a list or print out your collection on here so you know exactly what you have and what you need. I just brought a shoebox full of cards that I could put in my suitcase for trade bait on some high-end stuff. I had good luck bringing stuff that was regional specific. For example I brought a bunch of Blackhawks, Cubs, and Bears autos and memorabilia. The dealers will usually be willing to trade for these because they know they can sell them at the show.

3. Bring a notebook that is easy to handle and a pen/highlighter etc. for marking things off your list and adding things you got, b/c like previously mentioned you will find some things you didn't know existed.

4. Base and Inserts IMO went very cheap at the show last year. I found reasonable prices about everywhere I went. Know your bv's and sell values. Haggle for the prices you want, these dealers are trying to get rid of cards.

Hope all this helps. Oh yea and +1 on the folding chair and the rolling suitcase.
Thank you very much for that info as well. Someone should make a "How To: The National" video. Smile
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards

I have been to quite a few Nationals since I live near Chicago..

As far as base cards, there will not be a lot there as most dealers do not want to carry all the extra weight of boxes full of base...but most likey you would find some dealers who will have the items in their stores and if you know exactly what you are looking for, you should be able to work something out for them to ship to you..

The last few Nationals I've been too are mostly vintage or current high end graded cards with huge asking prices...

I like going to the Nationals for the promos and dealer booths but those have been ridiculous lately as they usually are out of the promos after the first hour of the day...

Chicago is a great host for it as there is always a baseball team in town to see over the weekend..and lots to do downtown Chicago..the dirve is really not bad from Rosemont to downtown Chicago..
[Image: arod.gif]