`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opening uncirculated cards?

Opening uncirculated cards?
I have a few "uncirculated" cards from topps which are in a plastic holder and taped shut with an official topps sticker. There is no way to get to the card out other than to break the sticker and, essentially, the case. Would it significantly decrease the value or the possibility of reselling if I remove the card from the holder and place it in a different one? Assuming the card is not damaged during the transfer does it make a difference? My guess is yes, but curious what everyone thought. Thanks!

RE: Opening uncirculated cards?
once it's out of the official "uncirculated" holder...does it not make the card now "circulated"??
My thoughts are that..
So why remove from the UNC holder in the first place??
Collect Michael Jordan, Stockton/Malone/Hornacek/Eaton, Kresimir Cosic, Int'l oddballs
I specialize in hard to find oddities for player/team collectors
eBay Geonut (100+ auctions)
Int'l/player INVENTORY: http://www.hobbydisplay.com/geonut/

It's stupid but I don't like having a thick holder like that on a thin card worth maybe $10-$15. I prefer it in a smaller top loader so it takes up less space. It's my OCD kicking in...

well..my opinion...if it's just for your own personal collection, go for it, but if you have any intentions on selling it at somepoint, I think it will greatly reduce the pool of buyers to buy an "uncirculated" card that is out of the holder and not stickered.
Collect Michael Jordan, Stockton/Malone/Hornacek/Eaton, Kresimir Cosic, Int'l oddballs
I specialize in hard to find oddities for player/team collectors
eBay Geonut (100+ auctions)
Int'l/player INVENTORY: http://www.hobbydisplay.com/geonut/

Agreed.
Smile 
(03-18-2012, 01:03 PM)marquettewade3 Wrote: Agreed.
+1
[Image: 755bd9c1.jpg]
I will miss you bbills1999
Where are you XstreamInsanity/Jason?

Does anybody actually buy a card because of the holder it's in? I could care less about them, If a person goes to get a card graded it comes out of the holder and if it receives a high grade, its worth even more, so as far as I am concerned, what difference does that little piece of tape mean?
Collecting Eric Hosmer and Alex Gordon
[Image: tperks.gif]
Do not trade list: charbs1111
Smile 
Does anybody actually buy a card because of the holder it's in?

Not 100% sure but I guess it is possible for someone to buy it for that sole reason.

I could care less about them, If a person goes to get a card graded it comes out of the holder and if it receives a high grade, its worth even more, so as far as I am concerned, what difference does that little piece of tape mean?

Authenticity, especially for the memorabilia pieces. Some people might get them out of the original holder with the intention of faking one or two or more components of the card.

Just my opinions and I hope they are appreciated.
[Image: 755bd9c1.jpg]
I will miss you bbills1999
Where are you XstreamInsanity/Jason?

The only reason I would ever take an uncirculated card out of it's original holder is if I was sending it off to get graded.