`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue vertical lines on Nolan Ryan RC?

Blue vertical lines on Nolan Ryan RC?
I just noticed that seemingly all the Nolan Ryan RCs in existence have those blue lines. I had never noticed them before. Two on either side of Koosman and one to Ryan's right. And Koosman has a horizontal one, too. What's the deal with those?

RE: Blue vertical lines on Nolan Ryan RC?
I'm pretty certain those are metal pipes from a backstop.

(03-17-2012, 10:15 PM)pacrimcollectibles Wrote: I'm pretty certain those are metal pipes from a backstop.
Really? They seem different enough on different cards that it wouldn't actually be something in the photo. Some are really bold, some seem more jagged... just seems like print ink, but I guess not.

I believe those lines are the poles in the outfield you see. They show up on a lot of Mets cards from the 60's. There is one flag pole right in front of that black box just like on the Ryan rookie.

Lets scan the RC and see what they are..

In looking at a bunch of them, I think it has to be something in the background that is out of focus to the point the is is fuzzy. I could be WAY off since I have never been to Shea, and I was born nearly 10 years after this photo was taken, but I would bet this is a Spring Training photo. Neither Ryan or Koosman really became regulars until 1968, and this photo was likely taken in 1967. For some reason the lines in the Koosman photo almost look like an old football goalpost. The diagonla line looks like it would intersect. I could be WAY off on all of this though.
Collecting Dan Haren,Troy Tulowitzki, Al Rosen, David Christensen, Kevin Elster and Jamal
Anderson(RB)

This may solve the mystery. This is the original photo and it looks like the flag pole. This will be one of the Topps vault items that will be for sale soon.

Once the pics were posted it all makes sense. Even the line going across both poles is at the correct angle.
Collecting Dan Haren,Troy Tulowitzki, Al Rosen, David Christensen, Kevin Elster and Jamal
Anderson(RB)