Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any advice on hobby boxes?
Question 
Any advice on hobby boxes?
Hi everyone! I've been leisurely collecting for a while now, but I'm starting to get serious with hobby boxes. I make sure to do a lot of research before I purchase anything, but I feel like I'm not doing enough to give myself a good shot at nice pulls. I see the hits that guys around here get and I feel like Charlie Bucket, a'la Willy Wonka, pressing my face up against the window and wishing I had something like that! LOL!

That all being said, do you guys have some advice when it comes to hobby boxes? Is it better to buy early when a product first comes out? Better to pre-order? Any particular products to avoid? Any kind of advice about this would be much appreciated!

RE: Any advice on hobby boxes?
I feel like you sometimes my friend but the only advice I can give is it's all luck.....the more you buy the more chances, kind of like scratch offs Smile.

[Image: Hof_zpsa29cd41a.png]

If you smoke in your home, please don't trade me.

Depends on what you are going for. Just expect to be disappointed a majority of the time. Personally, I never pre-order anything. I want to see some breaks first. The only exception for me is National Treasures. It is always my favorite, so I will get those the day they come out.

The best advice I can give is: watch a bunch of breaks on youtube for the ones you are interested in and make your decision that way.

Thanks guys! I'm definitely going to keep trying my luck at it!

Go for the guaranteed stuff at first, it lessens the blow of products like Topps Chrome and basically any other mid-low end Topps products. 2010 had some nice sets and a good chance to pull some interesting cards. Crown Royale, Sweet Spot, Threads, and Contenders are good places to start. All have 4-6 "hits" guaranteed, and you'll at at least find something pc or higher dollar amount.
[Image: Gdgj0.png]

PhotoBucket

Top 5 Auto Needs
1. Elijah Pitts
2. Oscar Robertson "Big O"
3. Giannis Antetokounmpo "GA34"
4. Aaron Rodgers "A12R"
5. Aaron Rodgers "A8R"

Good to know! I've been trying to go for products that have multiple guaranteed hits because it definitely does give a fighting chance to pull something nice.

My advice stay clear of Panini Threads...... Try upper deck if you like lettermans! That is my favorite product by far in a while! Normally 2 letterman autos and another auto for around $60-$75. You have good chanes of pulling good rookie autos and then there are all the sp's and everything. Very fun product
Betts Hursh Kimbrel Smile

[Image: bd2740c1-d591-4332-b7b1-0528f205c994_zpsdbff6c02.jpg]

If you are trying to pull nice items then go for it, but if you are trying to flat out try and profit just stay away. Boxes are a horrid odds of actually turning a profit

I definitely wouldnt pre-order. Like Joe C said - i like to see what others are pulling.
As far as specific products, if you dont mind pulling redemption cards, Certified and Contenders are a good bet. But you'll almost always get a redemption card (true about any panini product) I think the most fun I had this year was ripping Topps Jumbos. Between me and a friend of mine, we pulled 4 Super Bowl Legend autos, a Dual Auto of Cam/Gabbert, and countless other decent auto and GU. Plus you get a PILE of inserts, RC's and parallels for trade bait and not a single redemption. (You might have noticed I hate redemption cards - lol)
Finally there's Upper Deck - they might be going out of business so your redemption cards might not be worth anything, but SP Authentic are amongst my favorites every year.
I cant afford the high end stuff like National Treasures, Exquisite or 5 star so I just buy singles of those.
Also, the chances of you actually making money ripping wax is almost non-existant. Its a hobby - enjoy - and don't get discouraged when you bust a box and get $30 worth of no name rookies for $150.
NY Giants and HOF/legend/superstar collector.
[Image: GiantsFade.png]

I agree Contenders and Certified are good brands. However if you are looking for specific players I suggest buying singles because you will get more value for your money and get players you want.
[Image: Banner.jpg]
Sports Card Album
Contenders Collection
UF: 39/46 (84.8%)
Phins: 14/56 (25.0%)