Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
My New York Jets Contenders RC, RC tickets and Inserts collection

RE: My New York Jets Contenders RC, RC tickets and Inserts collection
Congrats on the new additions!!

A lot has happened since you started this thread!!

Everyone has an opinion on Tebow. I really hope it works out for both him and Sanchez.

You're right, the media circus is crazy....but Tebow is now a Jet, so I will stick by him. Thank goodness Rex Ryan turned down the opportunity to do Hard Knocks again.

I might be in the market for a few of his base cards this season!!!

(04-17-2012, 04:19 PM)jfrench91 Wrote: really enjoyed this thread and the scans! nice pc going there
Thanks for your comments.
My 17th year of putting this collection together, it's my happy addiction!!!
(04-17-2012, 05:27 PM)estuaryman Wrote: Congrats on the new additions!!

A lot has happened since you started this thread!!

Everyone has an opinion on Tebow. I really hope it works out for both him and Sanchez.

You're right, the media circus is crazy....but Tebow is now a Jet, so I will stick by him. Thank goodness Rex Ryan turned down the opportunity to do Hard Knocks again.

I might be in the market for a few of his base cards this season!!!
Thank you for your comments.
I will stick by Tebow, I want Sanchez to start AND be given a chance.
Occasional wildcat with Tebow, occasional, it won't work every game, or for a full game.
Yes, I will add to my Jets collection with Tebow base, hopefully it won't be crazy money to get them.

So I will have followed a franchise and bought cards in our colors of Joe Namath, Don Maynard, Matt Snell, John Riggins, Joe Klecko, Mark Gastineau, Freeman McNeil, Wesley Walker, Al Toon, Mo Lewis, Curtis Martin, Vinny Testaverde, Chad Pennington, Darrelle Revis, Brett Favre, Mark Sanchez & Tim Tebow to name but a few.

And still, only 1 Super Bowl appearance when I was 7 years of age & had never heard of football at that time!!!
Being a limey from England, I have a read made excuse.

Same here Ginge!! Born and raised in London. I never would have known you were a Limey!!

I wasn't around in 1969....us younger Jets are still waiting for a Super Bowl.

This is really cool!
http://s1181.photobucket.com/albums/x428/Kylebucksfan/
Collecting Andy Dalton, Tyler Eifert, Jermaine Gresham and Bengals

[Image: Bengalsnightbanner_zps050bbaf3.jpg]

Ok its truly an enjoyment to check out your extensive collection but now that I know there were color variations/parallels of the 90s stuff Im wondering if I ever got rid of any Marinos that I actually needed...lol.

Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341

(04-17-2012, 08:05 PM)estuaryman Wrote: Same here Ginge!! Born and raised in London. I never would have known you were a Limey!!

I wasn't around in 1969....us younger Jets are still waiting for a Super Bowl.
I'm from 'Up North', beyond the North Circular, 250 miles along the A! to Middlesbrough.

Channel4 in 1982 got my hooked, the year the Jets made it to the AFC championship.
I disguise my heritage and colours by writing in American!!!! LOL
I walk on a sidewalk, I leave my car in a parking structure, I refill the car with Gas.

I drive on a parkway, I park on a driveway etc etc

After 20+ years, it's normal for me now, going back to the old country and remembering pavements, petrol, multistory carparks, I find myself struggling to speak to the locals in their accent and their terminology.

I'm a naturalized American, I find myself being a stranger, an outsider in the town I was born in and lived in for 28 years.

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets

(04-17-2012, 08:52 PM)kylebucksfan Wrote: This is really cool!
Thank you for your kind comment, I enjoyed building the thread
(04-18-2012, 12:54 AM)bakerman8419 Wrote: Ok its truly an enjoyment to check out your extensive collection but now that I know there were color variations/parallels of the 90s stuff Im wondering if I ever got rid of any Marinos that I actually needed...lol.
Thanks bakerman. It's greatly appreciated to have Dolphins fans check it out and enjoy it.
The only year I saw color variations was 2004 with the blue and the black, the Eric Smith 2006 variant may have been from signing sheets of stickers differently with and without #33 so both variants exist.

Dan Marino was around long before Contenders arrive and I've never seen color variations on the insert cards, just the base 2004 rookie autos.
(Don't make me think about the Jets passing on Dan Marino and taking QB Ken O'Brien instead in the 1st rd of the 1983 NFL draft. Not that O'Brien was not good (the 2nd best stats in lots of categories for the Jets), but Marino is a Hall of Famer and all time forever great who ripped us apart many times, thankfully the Dolphins defense on those days let him down. His 6 TD's in New York in 1986 is an all time great game, but O'Brien threw 4 TD's and the Jets stole it on OT 51-45. Stole it because the OT opening kickoff was fumbled by the Jets around their 20, but we got a play off before Don Shula could challenge and the Jets scored the winning TD on that drive).

One of these days, I'm going to get a Dan Marino auto, I will upload ot for you to see.

This is my Playoff - Panini Contenders New York Jets collection.
Newly updated with 2012 and additional autos picked up since last year

[Image: Jets2007Contendersupdated.jpg]
I picked up some cool Darrelle Revis autos, one with David Harris and one with Laron Landry who was a Jet for 2012
[Image: Jets2007Contendersupdatedinserts.jpg]

New autos
[Image: Jets2009Contendersinserts.jpg]
These Jets will always be Jets legends, not rookies hoping to be great one day, Joe Klecko & Joe Namath
[Image: Jets2009ContendersInserts2.jpg]

The era of Contenders variations continues, three rookie players, four RC tickets with three SP’s,
top row 5th rd WR Jeremy Kerley 1 of 82 & 6th rd QB Greg McElroy 1 of 204,
middle row 4th rd pick RB Bilal Powell with the photoshopped SSP 1 of 25 (the undershirt is colored black, the riddell logo on his helmet is whitened out), the base rookie is to the right.
bottom row auto inserts
Signs of Greatness Shonn Greene 1 of 25
Legendary Contenders Curtis Martin 1 of 25
Rookie Ink Bilal Powell 1 of 25
[Image: Jets2011Contendersupdated.jpg]

More Rookie Inserts and parallel autos all 1 of 10
Draft Class Jeremy Kerley and 7th rd Scotty McKnight who did not get an individual RC ticket
Draft Class Bilal Powell and Greg McElroy
Rookie Roll Call Bilal Powell
[Image: Jets2011Contendersinserts.jpg]

Bringing the definition of crazy to a new level, the Jets front office makes bizarre personnel moves, giving Mark Sanchez below average WR's, injuries to Dustin Keller & Santonio Holmes ensue and a disastrous 6-10 record.
Another year of Contenders, the cards say Panini Contenders, the redemptions say Playoff Contenders, so what are they?
Jets draft 8 players, the era of Contenders variations grows to new heights, four Jets draftees get two versions, one of them was not a Jet during any of the regular season, cut in preseason, had a year of some Jets cards, some in preseason uniform with 'Signed by Rams 9/1/12' eventually Rams only cards until Contenders.
The draft class who got cards
1st rd DE Quinton Coples (Contenders)
2nd rd WR Stephen Hill (Contenders) Redemptions so far
3rd rd LB Demario Davis (Contenders)
6th rd S Josh Bush (Got an Absolute but no Contenders bah)
6th rd RB Terrance Ganaway (Contenders in Jets and Rams unis!!!)
7th rd S Antonio Allen (Topps cards only, double bah)
7th rd WR Jordan White (Topps cards only, triple bah)

The cards
top row, veterans
middle row, variations of 1st rd Quinton Coples 1 of 115, 3rd rd Demario Davis and 6th rd Terrance Ganaway in his Jets uniform 1 of 200
bottom row, same three guys in their base autos, Coples 1 of 550, Ganaway correctly in his Rams uniform!!!
[Image: Jets2012Contenders.jpg]
Stephen Hill, please sign your Panini stickers, I have entered the redemption codes, I want the cards.
base auto, variation auto 1 of 200, playoff ticket auto 1 of 99
Rookie Ink auto 1 of 75, Rookie Stallions auto 1 of 25, Rookie of the Year Contenders auto 1 of 10
Draft Class Auto with Quinton Coples 1 of 15 & the base inserts
[Image: Jets2012ContendersInserts.jpg]
If any more autos are acquired, or the Stephen Hill redemptions arrive, I will update this thread.

J-E-T-S

This is one awesome looking collection. Big fan of Contenders myself.
Currently collect: NON-SERIAL NUMBERED autos, Topps, and Topps Chrome cards of players in Bengals uniforms.

Just noticed that they did go back to the '98/'02 Contender look, looks like you and the other member got the wish!
[Image: Desertfox24.gif]

Collecting Ed "Too Tall" Jones and Dallas Cowboys!
Also collecting: Dez Bryant, Keke Coutee, Jorvorskie Lane, Ken Houston and Reggie McNeal

http://s1339.beta.photobucket.com/user/D...1/library/

(03-17-2013, 06:20 AM)nineof Wrote: This is one awesome looking collection. Big fan of Contenders myself.
Yes, I have enjoyed this set since 98 when it grew in significance with the RC autos. Did not get really serious until Chad Pennington signed the first Jets cards along with Laveranues Coles. Got turned off in 2001 when only 50 copies of Lamont Jordan were produced. Finally got that around 2005. This product is definitely one of the most important sets of the year. Like the 1998 retro look this year.
(03-17-2013, 08:15 AM)DesertFox24 Wrote: Just noticed that they did go back to the '98/'02 Contender look, looks like you and the other member got the wish!
Some years the design was not as attractive, I do like this years design