`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hockey Card Collectors Against Jersey Cards

RE: Hockey Card Collectors Against Jersey Cards
I like the idea as I collect signed jerseys. But, my son loves the jersey cards and every time he hits one nothing replaces the sheer joy on his face. Its christmas in every pack he opens. I am so torn on this issue

(03-08-2012, 04:49 PM)thesensman Wrote: Hi folks, i may be a new member to the forum but I am not new to collecting cards and game used hockey memorabilia (www.gameusedhockey.net). I also write a memorabilia column for canadianhockeyonline.ca and am hoping I can gather some support for a cause I am spearheading to stop the card companies from cutting up older jerseys.

I will be asking the NHL, NHLPA and the 3 major card companies (UD, Panini and ITG) to refrain from cutting up any jerseys that were worn prior to 1980. While we understand the card companies have a business to runn it is the older jerseys that truly are irreplaceable and since they have been cutting up so many over the last 10 years they likely still have a stock to continue to make cards for a few years to come.

I have reached out to the Hockey Hall of Fame, The Hockey News, Team Canada, and the Team USA hockey program for their support as well.

If you are interested in supporting this cause, please email me your name and email address to sensman11@hotmail.com.

Thank you for your support.
Send me all your MEM cards and Ill think about it
-:Mets:-:NY Rangers:-:Twins:-:Wild:-:Vikings:-

(03-09-2012, 09:40 AM)skyfire47 Wrote: i'll go on the oppositte and say i disagree. while older jerseys are much rarer, one jersey only does one person good. card companies aren't buying the old jerseys from the NHL or the HHOF here; they're buying them from private collectors. when they cut up the jersey, that's possibly hundreds of people who can now potentially own a piece of hockey history that would otherwise never have a chance. preventing card manufacturers from using jerseys doesn't prevent private collectors from keeping a jersey locked away in a closet where it does no one any good.

in the end, you can't prevent a card company from purchasing memorabilia. a good example would be ITG and the Vezina pads they have. from what i hear, the pads were put up for sale and the offer from the HHOF was laughable. ITG put in an offer and it was accepted. how are you going to tell someone what they can and can't do with their property?
I completely agree with skyfire47.

For those that don't, don't get me wrong. I "get" what you're saying that it's "sad" that old jerseys are cut into pieces. However, they aren't done so frivolously.

If not for jersey cards then sports memorabilia is a rich man's hobby and those jerseys are less accessible. At least with sports card collecting, it's something can be appreciated by the masses.

While it would be nice to have all these items in HOFs or museums, I was going to use the Vezina pads as an example just as skyfire did. What do you do? If a museum won't respect the value of these items, but a card company does and makes it accessible to the masses then that's not something sad taking place. It's a good thing, IMHO.

(03-10-2012, 04:10 PM)franktoronto Wrote: I completely agree with skyfire47.

For those that don't, don't get me wrong. I "get" what you're saying that it's "sad" that old jerseys are cut into pieces. However, they aren't done so frivolously.

If not for jersey cards then sports memorabilia is a rich man's hobby and those jerseys are less accessible. At least with sports card collecting, it's something can be appreciated by the masses.

While it would be nice to have all these items in HOFs or museums, I was going to use the Vezina pads as an example just as skyfire did. What do you do? If a museum won't respect the value of these items, but a card company does and makes it accessible to the masses then that's not something sad taking place. It's a good thing, IMHO.
a Home and away jersey at HOF for every players that makes the game memories is okay why shoudld HOF had 12 jersey of each.......

I agree with Skyfire47. I want to own a piece of the miracle on ice jerseys, so be it if it's the size of a quarter. At least i'm able to afford something as sweet as that.

I thought this thread was going to be more along the lines of the card companies over producing jersey cards thus reducing their value and awesomeness. I worry that jersey cards will become so mass produced, it'll be like the 90's again where there's no value and specialness to getting sweet jersey cards.

eh oh well. I wish you good luck with your quest non the less.
Looking for: Brandon Nolan, Manon Rheaume
Trilogy Ice Scripts / Ultimate Collection Premium Patches
2011-12 Upper Deck Ice / 2008-09 Upper Deck Ice
1995-96 Bowman / 1995-96 Select Certified / 1995-96 Playoff 1 on 1
2014-15 Upper Deck MVP / 2005-06 Upper Deck Ice Fresh Ice Patches

This is really a tough one for me - I really do respect the historical significance of relic jerseys, but - what good are they when they are hoarded away by other collectors. The fact remains many of us collectors are in it for patches, and vintage memorabilia in their cards. I appreciate the respect for vintage jerseys and memorabilia, but...I wouldn't be able to enjoy these beauties. I can't be cynical and support banning the cutting and chopping of history to little bits and pieces, when I enjoy such little relics myself.

[Image: 0203BAPUltimateMauriceRichardGameUs.jpg]

[Image: 0304BAPUltimateBobbyOrrJerseyandEmb.jpg]

[Image: 0102BAPUltimateJacquesPlanteEmblemA.jpg]

[Image: 0203BAPUltimateMauriceRichardVintag.jpg]

those are some sweet sweet sweet cards. I don't think i can express in words how awesome those cards are. And it would have never happened if they never thought of profits first. Man. Those really are sweet cards.
Looking for: Brandon Nolan, Manon Rheaume
Trilogy Ice Scripts / Ultimate Collection Premium Patches
2011-12 Upper Deck Ice / 2008-09 Upper Deck Ice
1995-96 Bowman / 1995-96 Select Certified / 1995-96 Playoff 1 on 1
2014-15 Upper Deck MVP / 2005-06 Upper Deck Ice Fresh Ice Patches