`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weird item on ebay...

RE: Weird item on ebay...
So i found these. Made by Heaton but they have that made in canada tag with Felix Potvin's name on them. Maybe the Irbe are real.
http://www.classicauctions.net/Default.a...&lotid=260

[quote='johlix' pid='1933624' dateline='1331222159']
So i found these. Made by Heaton but they have that made in canada tag with Felix Potvin's name on them. Maybe the Irbe are real.
http://www.classicauctions.net/Default.a...&lotid=260
[/q uote]

Could be. maybe just the way the Irbe's are presented (just alittle on the slimy side) makes them look wrong.
Is this a common practice amongst goalies to have custom pads made and then not wear them? I thought they all had pads provided by sponsors.

I'm glad that you also found the auctions weird, and I am not the only one.

Yeah, I had a good laugh at those listings with my dad the other day. Moving to Belize? Really? Red flag, too much detail and too unrealistic.

"Custom Made for Irbe"? Not common to write that on any goalie equipment. I've met many a goaltender (pro and not-so-pro) and seen their padding in my short life and very few have such markings. Seeing those reminded me of the episode of "Pawn Stars" where the guy took in a John Wayne movie-worn hat with the only COA being a small slip of paper saying the word "Duke" on it. Having them autographed by the athlete that they were "custom made" for is not much proof of authenticity. The patches actually made them less believable as custom gear.

And even if it is custom made for Irbe, part of the value is the game-used nature of things, or if a player wore it at least once. Being custom made for a player is almost exactly the same as buying a brand new item in a store. "Antiques Roadshow", "Pawn Stars", "Pawnathon Canada", etc. all seem to share this view when it comes to "custom made" items, they are not that valuable at all.

(03-08-2012, 11:56 AM)irbefan4life Wrote: I'm glad that you also found the auctions weird, and I am not the only one.

Yeah, I had a good laugh at those listings with my dad the other day. Moving to Belize? Really? Red flag, too much detail and too unrealistic.

"Custom Made for Irbe"? Not common to write that on any goalie equipment. I've met many a goaltender (pro and not-so-pro) and seen their padding in my short life and very few have such markings. Seeing those reminded me of the episode of "Pawn Stars" where the guy took in a John Wayne movie-worn hat with the only COA being a small slip of paper saying the word "Duke" on it. Having them autographed by the athlete that they were "custom made" for is not much proof of authenticity. The patches actually made them less believable as custom gear.

And even if it is custom made for Irbe, part of the value is the game-used nature of things, or if a player wore it at least once. Being custom made for a player is almost exactly the same as buying a brand new item in a store. "Antiques Roadshow", "Pawn Stars", "Pawnathon Canada", etc. all seem to share this view when it comes to "custom made" items, they are not that valuable at all.
Seller finally responded, heres the info:
"The glove came from the sports exchange in Vancouver back in march of 2001. I do recall that he commented that it was one of his older gloves when he signed it.No certificate on the leg pads but I did get these from Toronto Hockey Repair (aka goalie heaven) and they do sell pro returns from time to time. Thanks - The pads are size 34"

I have no issues with the glove, it is a Koho Revolution that he wore early on in SJ before he swtiched to the ones with teal writing. The pads to, ackkkk. Why they would be at toronto hockey repair, I have no idea. And the fact that Irbe donated all his old equiptment to hockey organizations in latvia. I dont know what size pads Irbe actually wore, but 34" seems to big. Im 5'8 and I wear 32"s and they are a tad tall, Ideally I should wear 30"-31s" but my Koho revolutions were on clearance for $600 when I got em and 32 was the smallest. 34's would be ay to tall for me... As I said before Ill buy the pads just to play in if they are 32's cause I have no use to dispay an Irbe auto that says "To Dave", but being 34's im definately out... Have at em Bruce, you can buy a maniquin and display them on him with your jersey & stick haha (Like uncle Joey had that maniquin with goalie equiptment in Full House haha)
[Image: hitmanbanner2.jpg]
Check us out for PC cards, cards for trade & cards for sale

(03-08-2012, 04:46 PM)irbecards32 Wrote: Seller finally responded, heres the info:
"The glove came from the sports exchange in Vancouver back in march of 2001. I do recall that he commented that it was one of his older gloves when he signed it.No certificate on the leg pads but I did get these from Toronto Hockey Repair (aka goalie heaven) and they do sell pro returns from time to time. Thanks - The pads are size 34"

I have no issues with the glove, it is a Koho Revolution that he wore early on in SJ before he swtiched to the ones with teal writing. The pads to, ackkkk. Why they would be at toronto hockey repair, I have no idea. And the fact that Irbe donated all his old equiptment to hockey organizations in latvia. I dont know what size pads Irbe actually wore, but 34" seems to big. Im 5'8 and I wear 32"s and they are a tad tall, Ideally I should wear 30"-31s" but my Koho revolutions were on clearance for $600 when I got em and 32 was the smallest. 34's would be ay to tall for me... As I said before Ill buy the pads just to play in if they are 32's cause I have no use to dispay an Irbe auto that says "To Dave", but being 34's im definately out... Have at em Bruce, you can buy a maniquin and display them on him with your jersey & stick haha (Like uncle Joey had that maniquin with goalie equiptment in Full House haha)
Hey all,

I stayed away from the goalie pads although they do look very similar to the pads Brian's made with the padding from his Koho Revolutions. Irbe did wear a 34inch pad at least in his sharks days. His evolutions have a small 34 on the sides. As far as the glove goes, Irbe is the only goalie that I know of that has the "Custom Made for IRBE" tag on his gear. Every pad, glove and blocker in pictures and cards has it. I wonder if it is because it was made in Finland or if it was at Irbe's request. Either way, the glove has the same specs as every glove he used in his NHL career until he stitched on new pieces. Justin
PC Goalies: ARTURS IRBE, Antti Niemi, Patrick Roy & Sawchuk
Sets: Millennium Goalie Memorabilia, BTP Goalie Gear and Trappers
Irbe PC: http://irbecollection.weebly.com/index.html
Photobucket Traders: http://s1271.photobucket.com/user/Irbe3201/library/TRADE%20BUCKET?sort=6&page=1

I'm thinking they were custom made for someone with the last name Irbe... but not Arturs...
[Image: TPnewbanner.png]
MARIO LEMIEUX COLLECTION = 1263 listed cards

all i would say is they are remakes of the actual pads