`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I Am Ice Cold Right Now ... Anyone Else Have This Problem?

I Am Ice Cold Right Now ... Anyone Else Have This Problem?
So back in November I pulled a Bryce Harper auto refractor out of a blaster of Bowman Chrome.

I was ready to swear off buying cards, especially retail, because I knew I would never do better.

Of course, that lasted about two weeks.

Since then, I have been sub-zero, freezing, North Pole, ice cold on my pulls.

I don't really have a LCS in our area so I mostly buy retail, and I always fall for the little "gimmicks" like WalMart or Target exclusives in the blasters/rack packs, etc.

Today, for example ... I have been hounding the local stores the last couple of days looking for Opening Day baseball.

I know, say what you will, but I actually like this product because of the player 'updates' and the mix of guys that won't be in regular Topps until Series 2.

You can't beat the price, either.

Anyway, I found five blasters of Opening Day at WalMart today, assuming I would pull an Albert Pujols in his Angels uni.

Guess how many I pulled?

Zero. Out of 55 packs.

That's not to mention last week when I buzzed through three blasters of Upper Deck World of Sports, looking for the first Jimmer Fredette "rookie" you could pull out of retail.

Guess how many Jimmers?

Zero. Out of 33 packs.

Though I did pull a couple of lacrosse jersey cards. ???

Or, the week before that when I buzzed through 90 — yes, 90! — retail packs of Topps football at a couple of Targets looking for one of those Bowman Cam Newton rookies with the red border.

Guess how many Newtons?

Zero. Out of 90 packs!

So, basically, out of the last 178 retail — RETAIL! — packs I have purchased, for basically $300, I have gotten ZERO of the players I was looking for.

Brrrrr.

This is ridiculous on so many levels, given the fact that I could have bought all three cards on the Bay for less than 20 bucks.

(I actually gave up on the Cam and bought one.)

Or the fact that I could have bought two or three really nice hobby boxes for the same amount.

Not to mention the time, gas and mental anguish I went through/am currently going through right now.

That's the definition of insanity, I guess.

I should have quit after the Harper.

Anybody else?

RE: I Am Ice Cold Right Now ... Anyone Else Have This Problem?
The pleasures of pack ripping....

I have been streaky. But lately not that great of pulls. I would say I have not pulled anything great for at least 2 weeks and that is hobby and retail! Before that I was killing it in Bowman Chrome Draft. The best being in 4 packs a Bubba Starling Gold Refractor auto! I would say since you do not have an LCS buy online from DA or Blowout. You probably can get free shipping too. I will also say that my best hits have been in hobby hands down!

(03-07-2012, 02:08 AM)evolb909 Wrote: The pleasures of pack ripping....
Yeah, I mean, the Cam is one thing, if there are 15 in the set and they're 1:6 packs ... but then why do I get four of Marcel Dareus?

But the Pujols just floored me — 11 packs per box, 6 base cards per pack, that's 66 out of the 220 base cards right there ... times 5 boxes!

Yet I got three or four Yovanni Gallardos ...

I've always known that the retail blasters tend to go in 'runs,' as far as you often get the same base cards in blasters out of the same case, but it's like, 'hey, card companies, do you think anyone might actually buy more than one box?'

Mix it up a little! Does that mean that somebody else in some other WalMart got four Pujols in five blasters? I doubt it!

You and me both. I have opened 108 and 15 hobby/retail Z-Force Series Two packs in the last few months. That is 968 cards. Best pulls have been some $20 BV Raves. $650 worth of boxes, I am currently the owner of 6 complete series two sets.

Yep busting packs is always a gamble. Most of the time you just end up with trade bait at best. I totally hear you on the elusive cards that aren't supposed to be tough pulls, I've been plagued by that many times unfortunately. I mostly just stick to marked down blasters if I go retail, especially the ones with a guaranteed hit. With hobby I always go with older products since the brand new stuff is over priced.

@jeep1991 - Ouch!! I bust 90's wax all the time, but some boxes like the Z-Force, Skybox Premium, and most of the 96-97 boxes are just way overpriced when you consider how astronomical the odds are of pulling the cards you actually want. Shoot, just a few years ago I was buying 97-98 Skybox Premium II boxes for $12-15 online and at my LCS. Now I wish I would have bought them all, people are listing them for $100+. I can't lie though, I am a sucker for 90's boxes!

(03-07-2012, 02:41 AM)jeep1991 Wrote: You and me both. I have opened 108 and 15 hobby/retail Z-Force Series Two packs in the last few months. That is 968 cards. Best pulls have been some $20 BV Raves. $650 worth of boxes, I am currently the owner of 6 complete series two sets.
What year? Who are you looking for?

1997-98. I am completing the BMOC set. Cheaper to buy them as singles, but busting is fun and there is a chance at a Super Rave. I haven't bought wax since 2000 so I've been having some fun with it. It's been a complete waste of cash though.

(03-07-2012, 03:11 AM)jeep1991 Wrote: 1997-98. I am completing the BMOC set. Cheaper to buy them as singles, but busting is fun and there is a chance at a Super Rave. I haven't bought wax since 2000 so I've been having some fun with it. It's been a complete waste of cash though.
Ahhh ... 97-98 ... Keith Van Horn, the next Larry Bird.

(03-07-2012, 03:16 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Ahhh ... 97-98 ... Keith Van Horn, the next Larry Bird.
Yeah, I've been wiping my ***** with the stack of those.
(03-07-2012, 02:56 AM)evolb909 Wrote: @jeep1991 - Ouch!! I bust 90's wax all the time, but some boxes like the Z-Force, Skybox Premium, and most of the 96-97 boxes are just way overpriced when you consider how astronomical the odds are of pulling the cards you actually want. Shoot, just a few years ago I was buying 97-98 Skybox Premium II boxes for $12-15 online and at my LCS. Now I wish I would have bought them all, people are listing them for $100+. I can't lie though, I am a sucker for 90's boxes!
The '90s were my heyday for collecting. I'm a big 90s insert fan. All of these GU and autos the new series crap out of every box just don't do it for me. I can see the attraction, but I'm just too old school. I miss the days when pulling an auto meant something.