`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
MJ Star '86 cards

MJ Star '86 cards
Recently, someone mentioned that they were adding some BGS graded MJ Star cards to their PC. Even though I don't buy cards often, I now have the itch to add some of those cards to my collection. I was surprised to see that the Star cards are extremely affordable considering the prices of his 90's inserts are going through the roof. Can anyone shed any light on this matter? Here are some of the cards I'm looking at...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400280110168?ssP...1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380416377278?ssP...1423.l2649

Let me know what you think? What price tag would you put on them? Thanks!
I collect Michael Jordan...

RE: MJ Star '86 cards
(03-05-2012, 06:10 PM)rudolphbeezhold Wrote: Recently, someone mentioned that they were adding some BGS graded MJ Star cards to their PC. Even though I don't buy cards often, I now have the itch to add some of those cards to my collection. I was surprised to see that the Star cards are extremely affordable considering the prices of his 90's inserts are going through the roof. Can anyone shed any light on this matter? Here are some of the cards I'm looking at...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400280110168?ssP...1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380416377278?ssP...1423.l2649

Let me know what you think? What price tag would you put on them? Thanks!
Rudolph,

Unfortunately we cannot post active auctions on here. My guess is that the 90's inserts were more available to the average collector back then and most of the people picking them up are from that era. Also a lot of the star Jordan cards as well as his Fleer RC was forged. People would rather not deal with the hassels.
I collect LeBron, Jordan, Kobe and anything that catches my eye.
[Image: SU1BRzAxODMtMS5qcGc-1.jpg]

(03-05-2012, 06:31 PM)kenarm79 Wrote: Rudolph,

Unfortunately we cannot post active auctions on here. My guess is that the 90's inserts were more available to the average collector back then and most of the people picking them up are from that era. Also a lot of the star Jordan cards as well as his Fleer RC was forged. People would rather not deal with the hassels.
Sorry for posting active auctions, but thanks for letting me know! In regards to your comment about 90's inserts, that makes perfect sense. My collection is mainly inserts from that era, and I find myself gravitating towards those cards whenever I go on the bay, especially those cards that seemed untouchable when I was younger. I don't have own a single graded card, but is it safe to assume that a BGS graded card legit?

You better do your homework before you buy any Star cards. They were produced on cheap cardboard and are easily to counterfeit. And no, I would not 'assume' its real just because it is graded. It probably is real, but I have seen a lot of off-brands slip through the grading cracks because they are so easy to copy.

(03-05-2012, 06:41 PM)rudolphbeezhold Wrote: Sorry for posting active auctions, but thanks for letting me know! In regards to your comment about 90's inserts, that makes perfect sense. My collection is mainly inserts from that era, and I find myself gravitating towards those cards whenever I go on the bay, especially those cards that seemed untouchable when I was younger. I don't have own a single graded card, but is it safe to assume that a BGS graded card legit?
Beckett (BGS) grading is usually a safe bet.
I collect LeBron, Jordan, Kobe and anything that catches my eye.
[Image: SU1BRzAxODMtMS5qcGc-1.jpg]
Thumbs Up 
(03-05-2012, 06:56 PM)Vols-1 Wrote: You better do your homework before you buy any Star cards. They were produced on cheap cardboard and are easily to counterfeit. And no, I would not 'assume' its real just because it is graded. It probably is real, but I have seen a lot of off-brands slip through the grading cracks because they are so easy to copy.
I don't have any experience with graded cards nor do I have accidentally or unfortunately purchased counterfeit cards that are graded but I highly agree with Vols-1.

Research is the key to any successful and fulfilling purchase for your private collection.
[Image: 755bd9c1.jpg]
I will miss you bbills1999
Where are you XstreamInsanity/Jason?

The market was flooded with counterfeit Star cards sold on the Shop At Home Network in the mid-late 90s. That's probably one of the biggest reasons that ungraded Star cards can be had for very cheap. Personally, I wouldn't buy any if they weren't graded and verified as being authentic.

Thanks for all the advice! I've done a little research regarding the Star Co., grading practices, and the counterfeits that may exist. Beckett has been grading Star cards since 2008, and Star. Co. card expert, Steve Taft, has trained Beckett graders on how to authenticate the cards. Supposedly there is a process, similar to the authentication of MJ Fleer RC card, that identifies fakes from originals. Still, it is still a little unnerving.