`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Lin?

RE: Lin?
No reason to hate! In fact, we should all be really thankful for Linsanity.

This is simply what happens when the general public starts going after things. In our little cubby of the world (especially in the past 15 years or so), there's only a few thousand people who are "serious" collectors that are dropping a lot of money.

Lin comes in and all of a sudden you have an influx of several more thousands of people who are interested in our hobby, except they don't have the benefit of knowing the trends and history of cards. They would be confused by why an All Time Greats Jordan auto numbered to 15 sells for $500, when an UD game jersey auto /23 goes for $15,000. Or how precious metal gems numbered to 100 sell for more than 1/1's.

Fact is, our hobby has never really made any sense, and never will. The fact that we have a "superstar" (if not due to actual ability then at least his drawing power and popularity) to revive interest in our hobby and put it in the news, well, that's awesome for us Smile

(03-05-2012, 01:23 AM)tradebark Wrote: No reason to hate! In fact, we should all be really thankful for Linsanity.

This is simply what happens when the general public starts going after things. In our little cubby of the world (especially in the past 15 years or so), there's only a few thousand people who are "serious" collectors that are dropping a lot of money.

Lin comes in and all of a sudden you have an influx of several more thousands of people who are interested in our hobby, except they don't have the benefit of knowing the trends and history of cards. They would be confused by why an All Time Greats Jordan auto numbered to 15 sells for $500, when an UD game jersey auto /23 goes for $15,000. Or how precious metal gems numbered to 100 sell for more than 1/1's.

Fact is, our hobby has never really made any sense, and never will. The fact that we have a "superstar" (if not due to actual ability then at least his drawing power and popularity) to revive interest in our hobby and put it in the news, well, that's awesome for us Smile
That is a really good point, never really looked at it that way. As an MJ collector, I was floored to see a Lin auto patch /25 go for 21k I think it was when the same type of card of Jordan would go for far less. But if it is bringing in more collectors than that is a good thing! Good point/thought.

[Image: Nick.jpg]

In the short term, you're going to see those ridiculous prices.. People who don't really collect cards will pay $50 (which may not be a lot of money to them) for a base RC of Lin since they just want to have a piece of "history."

What I bet will end up happening is that you'll see a general increase in interest in our hobby.. Meaning Jordans will start selling for more, Lebrons, Kobes, etc.

It's natural that once the Lin fanatics come back down to earth a bit, they may be curious to see what else is out there. Those of us that have been chugging away at our collections will likely have plenty of chances to benefit if we intend to sell off stuff.

(03-05-2012, 01:55 AM)tradebark Wrote: It's natural that once the Lin fanatics come back down to earth a bit, they may be curious to see what else is out there. Those of us that have been chugging away at our collections will likely have plenty of chances to benefit if we intend to sell off stuff.
Very interesting outlook on the whole thing. I like that idea.

Dunno, it mostly just shows that I use Ebay. I don't have anything for sale and don't sell things on there anyway, just buy things here and there. So probably cant see anything cuz there is nothing to really see.

I think he means this "The User ID you entered was not found. Please check the User ID and try again."

Might be a possibility that you have it entered wrong.

(03-04-2012, 05:16 PM)nickm1123 Wrote: Spend 17 grand on a Lin card or spend 17 grand on a MJ card? Which card will hold its value?
For 17 grand you can probably invite MJ over to your house and personally sign your favorite card, lol

(03-05-2012, 08:18 AM)folkertino Wrote: For 17 grand you can probably invite MJ over to your house and personally sign your favorite card, lol
...lol true that

not smart