`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Upper Deck almost done?

RE: Is Upper Deck almost done?
My problem as a store owner and casebreaker with panini is the lack of value out of their boxes, the problem is that the singles do not hold the same value as UD products in the secondary market. I have lost money on every Panini product that our store has cracked except score.

(03-24-2012, 09:13 PM)chrislucy72 Wrote: My problem as a store owner and casebreaker with panini is the lack of value out of their boxes, the problem is that the singles do not hold the same value as UD products in the secondary market. I have lost money on every Panini product that our store has cracked except score.
WOW you made money on a box of score?!
[Image: testcopy.jpg]
2010-11 Dominion Base 86/230
2011-12 Artifacts 183/242
2011-12 UD Series 1 250/250
2011-12 Canvas 83/120
Bucket

(03-24-2012, 06:07 PM)rippinwax Wrote: 1.)It is not UD and their products,it comes down to Richard McWilliams, how this guys still has a job is beyond me. Not sure how the ownership/share thing works at UD, but he is the #1 reason why UD is in so much trouble.
2.)Panini needs to stick to soccer, or understand the different sports. Dominion was a fantastic product, especially for a first year release. We need some fresh blood with street experience running a shop, or a collector who can make them understand what people want. The Muirs etc. are now high and mighty and have lost sight of the hobby. Him leaving was unfortunate, but needed to be done. Who knows what is going on behind the scenes and changes may be in the works, but who knows.

Just my 2 cents worth peeps!
If I recall correctly, he is the reason that UD International sued UD US last year. There were some issues with unauthorized reproductions of foreign Yu Gi Oh cards being made for the US product. They borrowed money from UDI to pay their settlement and did not pay them back.

Sounds like a pattern of bad business decisions.

Maybe that is why Panini got a license after all those years of UD being the only card maker.

Thanks,
Nathan

(03-24-2012, 08:58 PM)bonnev659 Wrote: correct me if i am wrong but didn't UD try to buy tops way back when?
Yep about the same time Topps sued UD for the OPC retro deal.
(03-24-2012, 11:03 PM)madmack29 Wrote: If I recall correctly, he is the reason that UD International sued UD US last year. There were some issues with unauthorized reproductions of foreign Yu Gi Oh cards being made for the US product. They borrowed money from UDI to pay their settlement and did not pay them back.

Sounds like a pattern of bad business decisions.

Maybe that is why Panini got a license after all those years of UD being the only card maker.

Thanks,
Nathan
Probably correct as the NHL did not want to be left with NO license

(03-24-2012, 09:13 PM)chrislucy72 Wrote: My problem as a store owner and casebreaker with panini is the lack of value out of their boxes, the problem is that the singles do not hold the same value as UD products in the secondary market. I have lost money on every Panini product that our store has cracked except score.
Part of the reason for that I think is that collectors are more used to UD products and just have not got into Panini yet. Hopefully over time that will change.

I could not agree with you more. I crack an obscene amount of wax and Panini this year is horrible. Last years products were not too bad, but this year no wonder Muir got ran off......horrible horrible stuff.

@reelins,
Yes we make money off of Score, we on average cracked this year 5 cases of score hockey, the insert sets sell well, the Team sets sell very well without rookies and with rookies, the SSP rookies sell well, the inserts themselves sell pretty decently. Score is the only product that holds its own water in the market, the reason being is that it is Priced like Victory and its set make up is like o-pee-chee.

Chris

(03-25-2012, 12:32 AM)rippinwax Wrote: I could not agree with you more. I crack an obscene amount of wax and Panini this year is horrible. Last years products were not too bad, but this year no wonder Muir got ran off......horrible horrible stuff.
In Panini Blog most recent box break of NHL product, Muir was there. Not sure if he never left or came back.

(03-25-2012, 10:17 AM)hckydv7 Wrote: In Panini Blog most recent box break of NHL product, Muir was there. Not sure if he never left or came back.
That "professionsal video" was shot before he was shown the door. I do not know about you but if that was the "brain trust" behind a professional company trying to market a product.......ohhhhhh boyyyyyyyyyyy. They tried to make Crown Royale sound like the coming of something huge. Panini needs to get serious and get someone in there that hasn't made the rounds of UD, Beckett (sorry) and now Panini. Muir is not the only one on there in his second and third company. Get some new blood in there that knows the market especially in Canada. First year products get you hooked then they water the stuff down in the next years releases. Sound familiar UD and SPAGU? With todays brilliant minds and creativeness with the technology age there has to be some new approaches. I mean how many $1 jerseys can we keep getting in a box before we get bored? They also were very lazy in CR this year as they could not even number parallel cards.

Ok Well Upper Deck took Payment today for Game Used, so that should be out on 4-10-12

Chris

(03-27-2012, 03:42 PM)chrislucy72 Wrote: Ok Well Upper Deck took Payment today for Game Used, so that should be out on 4-10-12

Chris
Oh yeah! What is SRP this year $195?