Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trying to Understand Centering

Trying to Understand Centering
Hi,

New to the hobby here and I am having a hard time understanding BGS centering criteria. So I have been eyeing and researching 1981 Montana rookie cards. Attached are two.

One card receives a centering of 7.5. L/R centering isnt bad but the U/D centering is clearly not great.

The second one receives a centering of 6.5. However, it looks much better than the first one. Am I missing something?

Side question: I noticed that some Montana have yellow tint on the card and other are white. What is the "norm"?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RE: Trying to Understand Centering
First of all, I cant see any pics. Dont use the thumbnail attatchment... its worthless. Create a photobucket account and copy/paste the HTML code. Then we can see your pics. As for the centering issue, I cant say for certain without seeing the cards, but BGS has a bunch of different people grading cards. Some are a little more firm on certain sub grades than others. Its all up to the actual person grading that particular card. I guess you could somewhat call it, human error.
[Image: banner.jpg]
Collecting everything BRETT FAVRE
Packers HOF Autos
**LF/WTB: Packers '97, '98 & '99 Precious Metal Gems & Flair Legacy Collection Parallels!!**

http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o545/torodo/

i think it is because the 6.5 is twisted off center and side to side ..the 7.5 is off center but parallel to the edges of the card....just my opinion
Smile
2007 FotG NFL Prime 130/133
2009 FotG NFL Prime 66/90
2010 FotG NFL Prime 103/103
DONE
http://s877.photobucket.com/user/sto66/l...ECUT%20SET
2011 Playbook Prime 68/95

(03-01-2012, 03:53 PM)chibearsboy Wrote: i think it is because the 6.5 is twisted off center and side to side ..the 7.5 is off center but parallel to the edges of the card....just my opinion
Smile

Oh I see. Do you think the 7.5 grade is correct? I always assume the grading agency take the worse score (either L/R, U/D). The U/D on this one looks worse 70/30 and 75/25. This would put it below a 7. Thats my interpretation (noob) lol.

the centering on the back also makes a difference i believe
collecting LeGarrette Blount, Colt Lyerla & other Ducks
[Image: youngducks-1.png]
[Image: inceptionrainbow3.jpg]

the backs are comparable (centering wise).