`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Beckett Condition Guide

The Beckett Condition Guide
Pristine (10) - Centering 50/50 all around, corners perfect to the naked eye and Mint under magnification, no print spots, perfect gloss, devoid of any surface flaws.
Gem Mint (9.5) - Centering 50/50 one way, 55/45 the other. Corners Mint to the naked eye but subtle wear is allowed under magnification, smooth edges, a few extremely minor print spots detectable under intense scrutiny.
Mint (9) - Four sharp corners (a tiny speck of wear is allowed), 55/45 or better centering, smooth edges, original color borders and gloss, a handful of specks or one minor spot.
Near Mint-Mint (NmMt 8) - Must have 60/40 or better centering, relatively smooth edges, original color borders and gloss. One of the following very minor flaws is allowed: corners sharp to the naked eye but slight imperfections under intense scrutiny, a handful of minor print spots, subtle color or focus imperfections.
Near Mint (NrMt 7) - Centering of 65/35 or better. In addition one of the following minor flaws is allowed: a slight touch of wear on two or three corners, slightly rough edges, a few noticeable print spots or speckling, color or focus imperfections.
Excellent-Mint (ExMt 6) - Centering no worse than 70/30. No more than two of the following flaws are allowed: two or three fuzzy corners, slightly rough edges, very minor border discoloration, noticeable print spots, color or focus imperfections.
Excellent (Ex 5) - Centering no worse than 75/25 with four fuzzy corners (a touch of notching or a minor ding is allowed). May also have rough edges, minor border discoloration and noticeable print spots, color or focus imperfections.
Very Good (VG 3) - Handled, but not abused. Centering 80/20 or better. Slightly rounded corners with slight layering, slight notching or noticeable chipping on edges, moderate border discoloration, some gloss lost from the surface, very minor scuffing. May have hairline creases.
Good (2), Fair (1.5), Poor (1) - Well-worn or abused. Badly rounded and layered corners, scuffing, no original gloss, major border discoloration, and serious creases.

Condition Sensitive
Cards or sets marked with "!" are condition sensitive (colored borders, poor centering, etc.). Such sets and cards from *1987-back, if in Mint condition, typically command premiums... Condition sensitive cards from 1988-present...typically command moderate premiums above listed prices if in Mint condition.

This was taken from an old issue of Beckett (Beckett #192 - March 2001 - Alex Rodriguez).

Arod Beckett Thumb

I'm posting this because the link to Beckett Grading condition guidelines seems to be broken. If you have the information to fill in the details for the missing grades feel free to update.

Hope this comes in handy for anyone needing to reference the information.

RE: The Beckett Condition Guide
I scanned this for the very same reason.

[Image: scan0012.jpg]
Always trading for Barry Larkin. Also looking for Joe Burrow and Tee Higgins. 

Will consider trading for other current/past Cincinnati Reds and Bengals.

[Image: Uw7lfAR.jpg]

Percentages are off now though.
[Image: banner.png] [Image: wieters-1.png]
Collecting Orioles, Ravens, and Topps Baseball sets 57, (Finally finished 58!), 67, and 69 (need only 2!). Also, MLB HOF Autos.

7Whodey--when is that one from? Mid 90s? I love it. Mint used to be the top.

I think it's from 1995 or 1996. I know it's outdated, but it helps for the vintage stuff.

Just curious.......where's grade # 4 (VG-EX)? It's missing.....

(02-28-2012, 01:08 PM)willbbc2 Wrote: 7Whodey--when is that one from? Mid 90s? I love it. Mint used to be the top.
Always trading for Barry Larkin. Also looking for Joe Burrow and Tee Higgins. 

Will consider trading for other current/past Cincinnati Reds and Bengals.

[Image: Uw7lfAR.jpg]

(02-28-2012, 01:52 PM)7whodey Wrote: Just curious.......where's grade # 4 (VG-EX)? It's missing.....
The Beckett I used didn't include a description for 4 (vg-ex) either. I don't think the numbers were really in play back then too much in terms of non-graded cards. I'd have to say a good description of a 4 grade would be somewhere between the VG and the EX... ? Just sayin'. lol.

Quote:I scanned this for the very same reason.

Huh. Guess that works too. Is it searchable though?

Thank you for posting this. Very helpful!