IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Ebay sellers cancelling auctions
Thumbs Down 
OT: Ebay sellers cancelling auctions
Begin rant:

Ok this has happened MULTIPLE times and im getting sick of it. sellers that cancel your bids and say that the item isnt available anymore. I had bids and a chance to get my very first 1/1 Drew Brees. woke up this morning with an email saying that all my bids were cancelled. sorry but had to vent!

End rant.
[Image: 9F306E21-7461-40F2-9F1D-AECEC32DB0F3-305...10b87e.jpg]

Drew Brees
True RC 66/66 (100%)
2001 323/359 (90%) AU - 64 Mem - 76
Total AU - 127

RE: OT: Ebay sellers cancelling auctions
(02-24-2012, 08:49 AM)brentboudreaux1 Wrote: Begin rant:

Ok this has happened MULTIPLE times and im getting sick of it. sellers that cancel your bids and say that the item isnt available anymore. I had bids and a chance to get my very first 1/1 Drew Brees. woke up this morning with an email saying that all my bids were cancelled. sorry but had to vent!

End rant.
Do they have to have some sort of notice in the listing saying they have the right to cancel any bids?
Photobucket

I think its bull crap that ebay allows that to happen. As a seller we have to legally commit to buying an item if we bid on it, but the seller doesn't have to legally commit to selling it if there are bids?? No other auction house or website would allow this crap. I mean how upset would you be if you went to a live auction and halfway through the auctioneer stops and says sorrythisitem isntforsale anymorethesellergot a betterdeal. (MY attempt at auctineer speak).

(02-24-2012, 08:56 AM)libs021 Wrote: I think its bull crap that ebay allows that to happen. As a seller we have to legally commit to buying an item if we bid on it, but the seller doesn't have to legally commit to selling it if there are bids?? No other auction house or website would allow this crap. I mean how upset would you be if you went to a live auction and halfway through the auctioneer stops and says sorrythisitem isntforsale anymorethesellergot a betterdeal. (MY attempt at auctineer speak).
Except for the times the item actually ISN'T available... what happens then? I've had a card up once, and I dropped it while putting it in a single screw holder... and dinked the corner. I couldn't sell it like that, so I removed the bids and cancelled the auction.

There ARE some times when that feature is needed.
[Image: sds_zpsc4ba5032.jpg]

You are already missed

as long as the auction isnt final, the seller has every right to cancel for whatever reason he wants

I think this is what it's come to, unfortunately. With all the last second sniping and no slow bidding, sellers have no indication of any interest in their item, so when a reasonable offer comes in, poof, it's gone. I can't blame them, really. It sucks to be the guy getting the short end of the stick though. The seller should have at least made the winner outbid you. It would've been in everyone's best interest, except perhaps for the guy making the offer. ...Assuming the card was backdoor'd.
[Image: OuM7E.png]

1997 Ultra PLATINUM - 81.4% Complete (285/350)

*Hundreds and hundreds of trades completed here and elsewhere. Ah, the days of trading in AOL chat rooms and leaving feedback on eBay... But sure, I'll send first. lol ... Really, I don't mind. Smile

Ive had people contact me before wanting to end the auction and offering a certain price.I felt bad and dint do it because of situations like yours brent,I felt bad that people had already started bidding on it so I told them I wouldnt end it early.

(02-24-2012, 12:26 PM)jdetter23 Wrote: Ive had people contact me before wanting to end the auction and offering a certain price.I felt bad and dint do it because of situations like yours brent,I felt bad that people had already started bidding on it so I told them I wouldnt end it early.
Alot of sellers/buyers do this on ebay. Offer a certain price, etc. I could see doing it if no one has bid on it. If people were bidding already, it wouldn't feel right

I totally undertsand your frustration; however, if you were selling an item and lets says the bid was 75 dollars with 3 days left. Someone comes in and says i'll pay you 200 right now through pay pal to end it right now... and you are not sure that the card may or may not go that high.. would you take the money?? I would. I think the seller has every right to end early if they feel they can get a better deal and more money... JMHO
(02-24-2012, 12:42 PM)diablo71 Wrote: I totally undertsand your frustration; however, if you were selling an item and lets says the bid was 75 dollars with 3 days left. Someone comes in and says i'll pay you 200 right now through pay pal to end it right now... and you are not sure that the card may or may not go that high.. would you take the money?? I would. I think the seller has every right to end early if they feel they can get a better deal and more money... JMHO
Not saying it is right or wrong, and it does suck when that happens to an item you are bidding on... Happened to me a few times, but it is the way it goes sometimes. and just for the record I havent ended and auction early sp far

This has happened to me a couple times too and it's definitely frustrating. About a month ago a guy was selling several really nice Patrick Willis 1/1 cards - then one day every single one of his 1/1 auctions ended early. Just doesn't make any sense.
(02-24-2012, 12:42 PM)diablo71 Wrote: I totally undertsand your frustration; however, if you were selling an item and lets says the bid was 75 dollars with 3 days left. Someone comes in and says i'll pay you 200 right now through pay pal to end it right now... and you are not sure that the card may or may not go that high.. would you take the money?? I would. I think the seller has every right to end early if they feel they can get a better deal and more money... JMHO

Not saying it is right or wrong, and it does suck when that happens to an item you are bidding on... Happened to me a few times, but it is the way it goes sometimes. and just for the record I havent ended and auction early sp far
Does this happen often though? I haven't sold much, so perhaps I'm unaware; it just doesn't make any sense that if an auction is at $75, why would someone offer $200 to end early? If the buyer is concerned that the card could go over $200, then surely the seller would share the same feeling. In that case, the seller shouldn't end it early. But if it doesn't go over $200, then it made no sense for the buyer to pay the extra premium.

The other problem I have is if the seller is afraid a card isn't generating enough bids, then why not put a reserve price in? I know there's a fee to do so, but it's relatively small. Or list it as a BIN. Or, just start the bidding closer to what you're willing to accept. Otherwise, don't end auctions early if you start bidding at $0.99 with no reserve - even if someone offers you money. Tell them to bid like the rest of us.