`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you think of MPAA? Would you wait the 30 days to get a better deal?

What do you think of MPAA? Would you wait the 30 days to get a better deal?
I believe Panini implemented MPAA as a way to protect our LCS's from being undercut by websites such as DACW. Seems like it's been out for about a year now and I'm curious what everyone thinks of it.

Also, would you wait for MPAA to expire in order to save some money? I plan on buying either a case of Five Star or NT from my LCS, but if I were so inclined I could wait 30 days and probably get a better price through an internet re-seller. I'd feel kinda guilty for doing this though. Thoughts?

RE: What do you think of MPAA? Would you wait the 30 days to get a better deal?
The Motion Picture Association of America? Responsibele for setting the ratings for movies?

Ok, I'm partially joking because I have never heard of MPAA before, except as what I said above. Exactly what is it?
[Image: sds_zpsc4ba5032.jpg]

You are already missed

That is why I buy from DCS Sports Cards. They have their own shop but also sell online. They are authorized internet retailers for Panini, Topps and Upper Deck. I seem to get a better deal on boxes there than I would anywhere else.
Eddie George Super Collector

not sure what that is!?
Collecting Jimmer Fredette.

he's talking about MAPP which is where panini prevents sites such as dacardworld from giving bonuses with their items like 2011 contenders for 30 days of the product's release

(02-20-2012, 10:40 AM)all day baby Wrote: The Motion Picture Association of America? Responsibele for setting the ratings for movies?

Ok, I'm partially joking because I have never heard of MPAA before, except as what I said above. Exactly what is it?
Oh Geez! My typing got the best of me again! I continually misspell that acronym, what I meant to type was M-A-P-P! I'm referring to the Minimum Advertised Pricing Policy from Panini.

Here's an article with a Panini executive explaining the policy:
http://paniniamerica.wordpress.com/2011/...p-pricing/

(02-20-2012, 11:49 AM)vinnie900 Wrote: he's talking about MAPP which is where panini prevents sites such as dacardworld from giving bonuses with their items like 2011 contenders for 30 days of the product's release
Exactly, thank you for keeping me straight. That's just me being careless with the keyboard again.

MAPP is also a way to prevent DACW from undercutting your LCS in the first 30 days of a product release. That's why everyone is selling 2011 NT for $400/box ($1600/case). It also means if you want 2011 NT before anyone else, you gotta get it through your LCS and not order it online (or you'll have to wait 7 days after it's released).

MAPP is pretty well an industry standard nowadays ..... pretty well everything you buy today has a "minimum" advertised price on it ..... this way all retailers can receive a decent profit on the products they sell.

I think it works to some extent, since most LCS's go wayyyyy over it anyways (at least in this area they do) and it keeps them at par with online sellers who don't have the overhead of a storefront, employees, etc.

Just my $.02 Smile

(02-20-2012, 10:48 AM)ZeroDave Wrote: That is why I buy from DCS Sports Cards. They have their own shop but also sell online. They are authorized internet retailers for Panini, Topps and Upper Deck. I seem to get a better deal on boxes there than I would anywhere else.
Great point, but I'm sure my local guy would disagree. He'd rather I bought through a physical shop here in FL than one online up in NY. HOWEVER, I think it's fair to point out he, too, sells online

The two shops up here in AK carry everything released, and the price is normally reasonable. Typically it is within $5 - $10 of getting stuff from online retailers. No ground service shipping usually means 2nd day air, so to get a box of Contenders would be around $150-$165. It's right at $139 at the store 5 minutes from my house. Which happens to be across the street from the biggest bar in Anchorage, a liquor store warehouse, and the theater pub. Big Grin
[Image: 1c4478fb-d731-4d9f-ba14-899045a13077_zps5489e52d.jpg]

(02-20-2012, 12:54 PM)pbean Wrote: MAPP is pretty well an industry standard nowadays ..... pretty well everything you buy today has a "minimum" advertised price on it ..... this way all retailers can receive a decent profit on the products they sell.

I think it works to some extent, since most LCS's go wayyyyy over it anyways (at least in this area they do) and it keeps them at par with online sellers who don't have the overhead of a storefront, employees, etc.

Just my $.02 Smile
I get what you're saying. I still think there online sellers can really price-cut the "mom-n-pops". Plus, there's the challenge I have: is it worth waiting for the 30 days to expire to get a better deal? Last year DACW had 2010 NT for something like $400/box (same as LCS) but after the 30 days they dropped it $50/box ($200/case). My LCS couldn't match that. Makes me think that since these online re-sellers sell so much they get products for below cost. I'm thinking it's the equivalent to amazon.com - would you buy a book at a local book store at a premium or save through amazon?
(02-20-2012, 03:22 PM)mrgonzodad Wrote: The two shops up here in AK carry everything released, and the price is normally reasonable. Typically it is within $5 - $10 of getting stuff from online retailers. No ground service shipping usually means 2nd day air, so to get a box of Contenders would be around $150-$165. It's right at $139 at the store 5 minutes from my house. Which happens to be across the street from the biggest bar in Anchorage, a liquor store warehouse, and the theater pub. Big Grin
You bring up an interesting point - regarding pricing at multiple shops. There are a few card shops around me and I've noticed the pricing, even between local shops, can vary greatly on some products (usually the more popular stuff). This definitely clues me into who the more reputable shop owners are...

Good stuff, thanks for the comment!