`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
guide

guide
i know that what i am about to put down here,many people will say that i do not need to look at price guide,but here goes anyway.since beckett magazine holds many observers in a trance with their pricing,and they tend to follow it instead of using good judgement,here is my quetion to you true believers in the guide.since beckett is unable to price cards # /24 because due to scarcity,and yet cards # /25 can be priced(i still cannot figure that 1 out),how in the heck r they able to price a card #/10.they have it in the new online priceguide a card #/10 priced.yes we don't have to follow it,and for sure i don't,but for the whole bunch who do and use this magazine as a bible,they will certainly use it to their advantage.

to be honest i am truely worried about the hobby with beckett in control.next thing u know cards # out of /1 and /5 will have a tag on them.what will this magazine think of next.

RE: guide
It is a guide and that is all. The reason they can price one #'ed card over another is because one of them may have been sold before and it helped the "guide" determine a value. Whereas your card #'ed /24 may have never sold before. Beckett helps collectors determine whats hot and whats not, its not the end all be all. There are plenty of other sites to help you figure out a value for your card. The bottom line is the card is worth whatever the buyer/seller is willing to buy/sell/trade it for.

Just my two cents.

[quote='johlix' pid='1902975' dateline='1329437939']
It is a guide and that is all. The reason they can price one #'ed card over another is because one of them may have been sold before and it helped the "guide" determine a value. Whereas your card #'ed /24 may have never sold before. Beckett helps collectors determine whats hot and whats not, its not the end all be all. There are plenty of other sites to help you figure out a value for your card. The bottom line is the card is worth whatever the buyer/seller is willing to buy/sell/trade it for.

Just my two cents.
[/q

they should not be determining any values,that is my point.it gets stuck into peoples brains that those r the true values.it has passed on to ebay as well.people now want to price by sale price,as u said a cards price is what anyone wants to charge or pay for it,and those r the final ends.a card changes value every day.and that is why these magazines should be showing recent sale prices from high to low,and go from there.people r stuck to the idea that high/low pricing in beckett is the price.look i run a card store and have been in cards for over 40 years and for someone to say hey the book says this price and another says that price is ridiculous.this is an arguemnnt that can last forever with everyone saying u don't have to follow this one or that one.but how many trades,or sales can u keep losing,or even how much money can collectors keep losing because we r misinformed

The problem is not Beckett, the problem is the people who reverse what Beckett really is. Beckett is (meant to be) a book that tells you what cards have sold for and therefor are worth, not what they will sell for.
Unfortunately way too many people take it as a gospel of what it has to sell for now. I don't think even Beckett would use Beckett as religiously as some do. People just don't seem to understand what the guide is and what it's meant to do. At the end of the day, the card is really only worth the most you can get someone to pay for it. If the book says $50 and you can't sell it for more than $25 guess what it's really worth.
I think your mistake here is assuming Beckett "sets" these prices. They don't. No one does but the buyers. What the guide does, at it's absolute most basic, is take the records of what cards are selling for from many, many different places (Please remember Ebay is only one spot) and average those numbers out and come out with a final value which gives you an idea of what your card is worth. They do not "set" values. They have zero vested interest in what any particular card has for a book value and I would venture to guess that Beckett, probably more than anyone, realizes their guide is not a bible.
I don't like Beckett all that much either, personally, but let's not lay blame where it isn't deserved. Beckett does what they do and there's no problem whatsoever. People who can't figure out what the guide is are the problem. What you're doing here is the same as saying, "That band sucks because their fans are all idiots." That isn't the fault of the band and this isn't the fault of Beckett.
Latest Entry: The Hockey Dad Survival Guide
[Image: mainbanner100x500_zpse4955997.png]
http://blacknblueline.com

I understand what you are saying but not all people are like that. Just the ones who are trying to make money and not true collectors. I dont think that is becketts fault. They offer a high and a low price in beckett reflecting low and high sales. when then have more then one sale recorded. They are not detemining the price by themselves they get their prices from recorded sales. (This is not for certain just what i was lead to believe.)
beat me to it with a little more detail GJ

everyone seems to be missing something here.first off no one changes what is put into beckett.and as u said,if the cards sell at 25.00 why is it listed at 50.00.there are too many cards that have no sales and beckett has found a way to get a price on it.problem is as said people follow it oo religiously because they r mislead.a guide is what it is supposed to be,a guide is a book that will show u what sales have been.the numbers in beckett have nothing to do with sales.show me a card that has sold for any of those prices.hopkins yg sells at 60.00 to 80.00 max and yet his yg moved up 5.00 to 125.00.beckett should be writing inside their magazine to explain wht it is about.none of the older rookies or cards sell for prices that r listed.so lets get real here.for a magazine to be reliable it has to put forth reliable info.explain to me why as this post was started for,a card # /10 has been priced.the chances that 10 of them have been found.those chances r very minimal.for the money that is being made on their magazine,they should put a little more effort into letting collectors know what is going on out there.for someone to say that the hi/low listings in the beckett r what cards have sold for is just ridiculous.its as if wal mart sells at 2.00 everyone else has to sell at 2.00.thats rubbish and we should call it what it is.
(02-16-2012, 08:09 PM)johlix Wrote: I understand what you are saying but not all people are like that. Just the ones who are trying to make money and not true collectors. I dont think that is becketts fault. They offer a high and a low price in beckett reflecting low and high sales. when then have more then one sale recorded. They are not detemining the price by themselves they get their prices from recorded sales. (This is not for certain just what i was lead to believe.)
beat me to it with a little more detail GJ
u said it,this is what u were led to believe.for example,a gretzky rookie card.when has 1 sold for 800 or 900 dollars.never.lets get the real sale prices in there.the prices in the mag r not low and high sales.study it and look around and u will see prices don't even come close to what sales r.

(02-16-2012, 08:32 PM)bossyscards Wrote: everyone seems to be missing something here.first off no one changes what is put into beckett.and as u said,if the cards sell at 25.00 why is it listed at 50.00(1).there are too many cards that have no sales and beckett has found a way to get a price on it.(2)
1 - Someone else might be able to get $75 though.
2 - Do you know every sale that ever happens, or are you just going by E-bay?
Just because something sells for x on Ebay doesn't mean it won't sell for any more or less than anywhere else.

Beckett is supposed to be a guide, but many consider it a Bible and won't move off a price. I have notice for the last year or so that most cards sell nowhere near what Beckett considers a guide for that particular card. I tend to think Beckett is a little out of touch with values/guides.
Collecting all the Ron Hextall Cards especially those
pesky 1 of 1 cards and other low print runs.
I am also collecting Bernie Parent, Pelle Lindbergh,
Antero Niittymaki & other Flyers goalies.
http://s728.photobucket.com/albums/ww288/dam1057/

(02-17-2012, 11:51 PM)dam1057 Wrote: Beckett is supposed to be a guide, but many consider it a Bible and won't move off a price. I have notice for the last year or so that most cards sell nowhere near what Beckett considers a guide for that particular card. I tend to think Beckett is a little out of touch with values/guides.
Beckett is a sales guide that takes many, many sales into account. I imagine a lot of E-bay sales do more for the low value than the high.

it is a guide

and also before the internet, deals was mostly in person compare to all trading/buying sites online Beckett was great in my mind for pricing

I still use the online guide on here
using tracking numbers (all US and some Can)