`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BGS vs PSA, but not the usual discussion

RE: BGS vs PSA, but not the usual discussion
I don't go out of my way to collect graded cards but I buy them if I need the card. I really DO NOT care who graded the card, I just want the card inside and NO, I don't crack them open.

I like PSA simply because if they grade it a 9, it's a 9.
I like Beckett also, BUT, sometimes you get a card with this numbers. Centering 9, Corners 9, Edges 9, Surface 9.5. Final grade = 9. I don't know about you guys but that 9.5 bothers me. I would prefer that 9.5 be lowered to a 9 and print that on the label than looking at that 9.5. Final grade is 9 anyway. Before I realized Beckett did this, I was buying as I need it, now I go out of my way to find out the sub grades. If one of them is higher or lower than the rest, I don't want it. Just my two cents...

Look how bad this looks....
[Image: BGS91996LeafSignaturePlatinum.jpg]
I would prefer to see all 8's on the above and all 9.5's on the bottom
[Image: BGS952001UltimateCollectionMagicNumbers.jpg]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[Image: A71c.jpg]
http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff476/2011CLM/

(03-03-2012, 12:59 AM)2011CLM Wrote: I don't go out of my way to collect graded cards but I buy them if I need the card. I really DO NOT care who graded the card, I just want the card inside and NO, I don't crack them open.

I like Beckett also, BUT, sometimes you get a card with this numbers. Centering 9, Corners 9, Edges 9, Surface 9.5. Final grade = 9. I don't know about you guys but that 9.5 bothers me. I would prefer that 9.5 be lowered to a 9 and print that on the label than looking at that 9.5. Final grade is 9 anyway. Before I realized Beckett did this, I was buying as I need it, now I go out of my way to find out the sub grades. If one of them is higher or lower than the rest, I don't want it. Just my two cents...
um... Ok... I would say Beckett Graded cards aren't for you. You're the 1st and only person that I've seen complain about the subgrades.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

Call it complaining, crying, whining or whatever. Are you honestly telling me that you would prefer a 9.5/9/9/9 = 9 over 9/9/9/9 = 9? I am merely saying that given a choice, I would prefer that 9.5 be lowered to a 9 since the final grade is a 9 anyway. Reading at most of the BGS/BVG threads, and if I don't know any better, it almost look like you're the biggest stockholder of BGS Grading Services. How about letting other people write their opinion without you having a fit? Is that at all possible?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[Image: A71c.jpg]
http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff476/2011CLM/

Ive never had a problem with Beckett's subgrades, it actually helps in determining why that card got the overall grade that it did. I have seen and heard way too many people get their PSA cards back (see any psa mailday on youtube) and wonder why their card got an 8 instead of the 9 that they were hoping for.

As for half grades, well it looks like you are complaining based on pure asthetics alone, I myself would prefer the half grade higher than having just all 9s, that translates in to, you guessed it, a card in better condition. I know alot of people that actually look at particular subgrades for their collection such as others that collect the 1986-87 Fleer basketball set. A few people I have talked to wont add a card to their set if it has anything below a 10 on centering, or a 9.5 on corners and as we all know getting an overall 10 BGS grade from this set is almost impossible so people have to settle for better subgrades.

(03-04-2012, 11:23 PM)2011CLM Wrote: Call it complaining, crying, whining or whatever. Are you honestly telling me that you would prefer a 9.5/9/9/9 = 9 over 9/9/9/9 = 9? I am merely saying that given a choice, I would prefer that 9.5 be lowered to a 9 since the final grade is a 9 anyway. Reading at most of the BGS/BVG threads, and if I don't know any better, it almost look like you're the biggest stockholder of BGS Grading Services. How about letting other people write their opinion without you having a fit? Is that at all possible?

Skybox Autographics Set Collector

I would take the 9.5/9/9/9 over 9/9/9/9 in a heartbeat

This might come as a surprise, but not everybody thinks alike and nobodies preference in the hobby is better/worse than the next guy. The guy would prefer 9s across the board. Oh the horror!

(03-05-2012, 10:05 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: This might come as a surprise, but not everybody thinks alike and nobodies preference in the hobby is better/worse than the next guy. The guy would prefer 9s across the board. Oh the horror!
Agree, everyone has their own preference. As a rule of thumb I usually pass, for instance ,on a BGS 9.5 card that has a subgrade of 9 on either centering or corners. I value those two subs in a card more than the other two , that's all.

(03-09-2012, 10:19 PM)rusty222 Wrote: Agree, everyone has their own preference. As a rule of thumb I usually pass, for instance ,on a BGS 9.5 card that has a subgrade of 9 on either centering or corners. I value those two subs in a card more than the other two , that's all.
I agree 100%

(03-03-2012, 12:59 AM)2011CLM Wrote: I don't go out of my way to collect graded cards but I buy them if I need the card. I really DO NOT care who graded the card, I just want the card inside and NO, I don't crack them open.

Personally, I would take the 9.5/9/9/9 over the 9/9/9/9 any day and twice on Sunday. I think 9 out of 10 people would. I mean, if price was equal, I cannot understand someone wanting a worse conditioned card. I can understand you not wanting to purchase cards that aren't visually appealing to you, and that is your right, but I cannot understand you wanting them to intentionally lower a grade. I, and I think most people agree, would prefer accurate subgrades. What if the corners are a 4, but everything else a 9? How would want/expect the subs to look? I agree that BGS probably isnt for you if you just want to see one number, you should probably stick to PSA. The subgrades and the integrity of the grader should not be compromised for aesthetics. The purpose of grading and subgrading is for accuracy, not what a very small percent of enthusiasts want to see. Heck, if your asking for grades to be changed, why not bring them all up? lol

(04-25-2012, 12:07 AM)SplitTheHit Wrote: I think 9 out of 10 people would. I mean, if price was equal, I cannot understand someone wanting a worse conditioned card.
For me this all depends on the subgrade. I look at centering as the most important subgrade because I can see that, with surface and edges especially after they are in the BGS case I can't. So I would buy a card with all 9s before I would buy a card with 8.5 centering, 9 corners, 9 edges, and 9.5 surface.

But I would not pay more for a card with a higher subgrade and the same overall grade as any other card with that overall grade.
http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o558/dmasci/
Always looking for BGS or BVG graded cards for HOFers....especially the skilled positions.

[Image: DmasciBanner.jpg]