`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Collectors NEED to be trained.

RE: Collectors NEED to be trained.
(02-12-2012, 05:10 PM)elway4king Wrote: The difference is a little more than that. The 1998 "No Protector" Refractor does not have the coating, however, if this was the only difference than you could just remove the coating and call it the "No Protector" refractor which was a little more rare. The best way to tell the difference is to look at the back of the "Refractor" and "No Protector Refractor." The back of the "Refractor" has a refractor print while the back of the "No Protector" has a foil-refractor print. If they are side by side you could tell the difference.
Damn those '98 cards. Thanks for clarifying the years for me elway! The site is lagging so badly right now I didn't want to take enough time to look everything up. Should have just checked elsewhere...
(...but now you have me wondering why I've seen some of the 99 Finest slabbed as "no protector." Now that I've seen the 98 base has a no-protector subset as well, and it's not just the refractors, why would the 99's be like that?? Someone at Beckett and PSA was confused apparently.)
Those were some of the last years we actually had small differences like that. Whatever happened to those? Now it's 17 versions of foil and serial numbers?? I like the little details. Wink
I like cards serial numbered 34/xx
[Image: RD1.jpg]
Still working on 2009 Topps Magic Autos

(02-12-2012, 04:47 PM)ricky williams 34 Wrote: How about we use the word "educated" rather than "trained." Gives the impression we're all dogs.

When you start a new job you go through training.
Baseball players go through a training CAMP.

(02-12-2012, 04:42 PM)nthnoak Wrote: Ive always understood it was just a protective plastic coating you could peel off. Protected ones visibly have the coating with the black words on them like this.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/1998%...ctors1.jpg
The non protective I think have a chrome front and back
(02-12-2012, 08:16 PM)thelegendjerryrice Wrote: When you start a new job you go through training.
Baseball players go through a training CAMP.
But this is not a Job but a Hobby. I think Educated works better here.
[Image: cbeg-2.jpg]
http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b21/Da...or%20Sale/
Chris Henry Collection Items:811/423 MEM:307/152 AUTO:395/175 Ser #'d:711/343 RC:38/37

Something that helped me a LOT when I first started collecting, I bought the Beckett "Price Guide". This gave me a very specific description of the cards and in most cases allowed me to tell the difference.

Example: Not the whole paragraph but the important part.

Finest No-Protectors, This 270-card parallel set was printed on silver foil stock on both front and back and does not contain the Finest plastic protector.

There are other examples I've found, such as a Refractor card, the difference being as little as just the letter R in very small print on the back bottom right corner of the card. Early on as a collector I would not have known this without reading. There is a Glossary and Legend in the front to help also.

Very informative I thought.
Top 3 DT want list.
1.2012 Limited Gold Spotlight #145 Derrick Thomas/25
2.2011 Certified Mirror Emerald/5 #302
3.2000 Leaf Certified Heritage Collection Century/21 #DT58H

[Image: Derrick-Thomas-1.gif]

Here you go.... the way you tell the 1998's apart is this, flip the card....
Regular/ No-Protector
[Image: 02-15-2011085159PM.jpg]
Trying to finish these sets:
1999 Upper Deck Strike Force Quantum /100
2000 Score Complete Players Green/ Blue
2000 Leaf Piece of the Game Preview 4th Down Isaac Bruce
2008 Premier NFL Equipment /25 John Elway

Let me know if you have any available.

(02-12-2012, 02:30 PM)thelegendjerryrice Wrote: 1998 SPx's Silver and Steel......

[Image: img915.jpg]

Silver in the bottom center, Steel on the bottom right.

(02-13-2012, 08:22 PM)htoutlaws Wrote: [Image: img915.jpg]

Silver in the bottom center, Steel on the bottom right.
That SILVER STILL alludes me.....

I have had to return like 3 or 4 because they was the steel and the seller thought they was the silvers..........

This one used to tick me off.

[Image: 95PacificFlatGold.jpg]

1995 Pacific Gold Crown Die Cuts & Flat Gold versions.

Looking at them in normal light you can't tell. Under a halogen at an angle was the only way I could see it. Scanning them was a dead give away.
Anyone have a sample of a 1997 Crown Royale SILVER. The one with a crown on top? I thought I had one, and found out i had miss ID'd it.

(02-13-2012, 08:27 PM)htoutlaws Wrote: This one used to tick me off.

[Image: 95PacificFlatGold.jpg]

1995 Pacific Gold Crown Die Cuts & Flat Gold versions.

Looking at them in normal light you can't tell. Under a halogen at an angle was the only way I could see it. Scanning them was a dead give away.
Anyone have a sample of a 1997 Crown Royale SILVER. The one with a crown on top? I thought I had one, and found out i had miss ID'd it.
If sellers would use a scanner instead of taking actual pics it would be easier.
Stuff like those 95 Pacific's with a camera the glare doesn't help.

I have the silver, But don't feel like scanning right now lol

I understand what your saying, but how is one supposed to know? Expecially when the cards says Game Dated
Collecting Jimmer Fredette.