`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 3.58 Average
Randi's Handy Hints

RE: Randi's Handy Hints
I don't want you to think i'm picking a fight, as i respect your opinion, for it's hard for me to convey my light discussion tone through typing, and as always, you're entitled to your thoughts and opinions and i respect them, I just think keeping an open mind in shipping is important. Don't get me wrong here, I am not saying its okay to stick a card in a PWE and ship it. I think proper care should be taken in protecting the card, and as long as that is followed, i do not see why it should be written off or shunned like it's the ugly step sister. How many bubble mailers have been ripped open, messed up, cut, etc.? I do not feel a bubble mailer offers anymore protection for a single card in a hard plastic case than a PWE lined with cardboard. I have sent single card trades through PWE (and i might be wrong, but did i return the card to you in a PWE?) and i have never had a problem in doing so.

I always admit when i'm wrong (and have no problem doing so) and i try to keep an open mind on things, but at this current time with the knowledge i have, I cannot see why it is a big issue. I understand your personal issue though with PWE's and i will give the person the respect and ask them before i ship from now on if they have a problem with a PWE. I know it only takes one bad apple to ruin the batch and leave a sour taste though so i can understand your apprehension on PWEs. I can also understand the fear one can get with new people just throwing cards in a PWE where as if the bubble mailer guideline is established, the PWE fear can go away. But at a cost of 2.00 min to ship, i think the cost factor hurts the new people from staying into the hobby. I'm at that cross roads myself. It costs me approx 20 dollars almost every time at the post office mailing out bubble mailers for as little as 3 - 5 packages. This all adds up. If i can send out properly protected cards for 48 cents instead, i do not see the hit in the pocket book as much, thus allowing me to trade more/buy more cards/etc.

I think the goal should be teach people how to properly package and care for cards (which is what you have done here, I know myself i will no longer be taping the top loaders shut.) and if a card is properly packaged, than the method of shipping is not as big of an issue as it could be.
Looking for: Brandon Nolan, Manon Rheaume
Trilogy Ice Scripts / Ultimate Collection Premium Patches
2011-12 Upper Deck Ice / 2008-09 Upper Deck Ice
1995-96 Bowman / 1995-96 Select Certified / 1995-96 Playoff 1 on 1
2014-15 Upper Deck MVP / 2005-06 Upper Deck Ice Fresh Ice Patches

(02-11-2012, 04:07 PM)Optimus_Prime Wrote: I don't want you to think i'm picking a fight, as i respect your opinion, for it's hard for me to convey my light discussion tone through typing, and as always, you're entitled to your thoughts and opinions and I respect them
No worries on that part... and as you have said "you're entitled to your thoughts and opinions and I respect them"! I do respect that there is a proper way to protect cards if you send them in a PWE, but I have some knowledge that most don't. The treatment of PWE's is quite a bit different than that of a bubble mailer. They get very poor handling, and have an elastic wrapped around them in a fashion that can damage the contents easily... not to mention if it's one of the last in the bag. :S

Right now I have an issue with items being sent in a PWE, as there is already an issue and problem with people not knowing how to send in a bubble mailer. I have not experienced the hardship myself (and I am VERY thankful for that!!!), but it seems that is becoming more rampant an issue, hence my original post.

I don't mean to sound pestering, but I really do wish that we could all be on the same page. I really do take ultimate care when it comes to packaging my cards for shipping, and it sounds like you do too! Pretty well everyone that I have traded with has taken great care to ensure that my card(s) get to me in the same condition that they left, and for that I am incredibly thankful!

I am glad to hear that you will not be taping your top-loaders anymore (though it is not an issue, and I am not being condescending), and I hope that it is acknowledged and appreciated by all! Best wishes on your coming trades, and I hope that you land some nice cards in your next breaks!

Randi

I re-use bubble mailers all the time because it helps to cut down on costs. I have never shipping in a PWE, but if Optimus sent cards to me in a PWE and it was obvious he made an honest effort at protecting them and they arrive unharmed I would not be upset about it.

As for toploaders, I used to receive them with the tops taped shut and started doing the same thing, but as I started trading a lot I didn't really see the point. I ship cards in a team bag, unless it's a large amount. I don't use bubble mailers when there is a large amount of cards, but I place the cards between two toploaders (on each side) and one decoy on each side and tape it tightly so the cards don't slide into the tape. After that I wrap the cards in bubble wrap (You can get a roll of it for a decent price at Wal-Mart) and ship them in a plan manilla envelope or whatever else I can find.
[Image: Signature.jpg]

PC's
Patrick Roy PC 966/7,265 = 13.30% Complete
Brandon Yip PC 101/183 = 55.19% Complete
Nick Palmieri 93/150 = 62.00% Complete

Unique Avs Cards = 1303
Unique Nordiques Cards = 1054

If my card makes it to me undamaged, I'm happy regardless of how it was sent. If the end result is that I have the card in the condition I traded for, what problem can I possibly have. With that said, I never ever use a pwe, but that's just me. When I receive something it's on a "no harm, no foul" basis. If a card is sent in a pwe and it's damaged, then I'm unhappy. I understand cutting down the costs, but if my card is damaged because of a pwe, that is completely avoidable in my mind. I understand that damage happens through shipping sometimes, but damage to a pwe is unacceptable to me. It's possible a bubble/cushion mailer would have resulted in damage, but you can't say the card wouldn't have been protected.
Oh, and never EVER send a slabbed card in a pwe. That's just stupid.

I do reuse mailers. Just cut a piece of paper the size of the envelope and tape it over with clear packing tape.

One thing I will say for packaging the cards themselves. I don't mind tape. UD gets my redemptions to me (eventually) unharmed with a little piece of tape and I'm trading for the card, not the toploader, so I'm fine with that. I don't mind a lot of tape. Some packages with multiple cards require many toploaders or even several multi-card cases. I don't want these floating around in the package banging into each other, and I know not everyone uses team bags religiously (lord knows I don't) so by all means, use as much tape as you think is necessary to keep my cards safe in transit...

but...

also keep in mind that, once the package is delivered, I generally like to get my cards out of the package unscathed. PleasepleasePLEASE be smart about your taping. If you finish taping it up and it looks like you stuck the end of the roll to the package and ran around it like an idiot, you should probably undo it and try again. Personally, I tape everything closed and then tape them together. I use 2 rules to do this.

1 - Try not to use normal scotch tape, the satin finish stuff is way better, as it is much easier to remove while leaving minimal to no residue. Painters (masking) tape is also a lot easier to remove.

2 - If you are using tape please remember to tab one end of each and every piece. I cannot stress this enough. When the tape is folded over and tabbed, it's much easier to remove. When it isn't, it's quite difficult. Personally, I bite my nails, bad habit, I know, but it makes picking tape very, very difficult. Tabs are everyone's friend.
Latest Entry: The Hockey Dad Survival Guide
[Image: mainbanner100x500_zpse4955997.png]
http://blacknblueline.com

Mike: I can see your point... if it gets to you unscathed, then it is a good trade. I agree with that notion... but there still is the issue that there are a load of traders who do not appreciate the delicate nature of this hobby, and they do not protect their cards sufficiently while shipping. I still stand by my original notion that I would be upset by the use of a PWE for shipping, but this is because I put the ultimate care into shipping and expect the same in return.

Tyson: The taping top-loaders issue is a personal preference and that is all. I do not like to have them in my PC box, and I stand by that. I don't mind them coming in, but I only see them as a means to send cards out to others. I have had a few cards damaged by the tape that has been strapped across the top of a top-loader, and that threw me off! I like to have my clean collection, but I have also been considered OCD!!! Haha!

TABS are a fantastic method to help this situation. The Scotch Tape that is opaque is a great way to tape the top, but there still is the concurrent damage that CAN come with taping. I am not knocking those who tape the top-loaders... I would just rather it not be done. I don't and WON'T do it, but I do NOT expect others to stop just on my behalf. So... if you are a taper, please fold a tab into your piece of tape for easy removal! Thank you for the reply, Tyson and Mike, and I will put the Tabs mention into the OP! Have fun collecting, folks!

Randi

I usually try to tab the tape when I do use it as I appreciate it when I get cards with the tape tabbed because it is a lot easier to remove. Sometimes I forget to use it though.

Randi I always ship in bubble mailers (or bubble wrap as I mentioned) but was just adding I wouldn't mind getting cards in a PWE if they went through the steps like Optimus. I would prefer bubble mailers as well though.
[Image: Signature.jpg]

PC's
Patrick Roy PC 966/7,265 = 13.30% Complete
Brandon Yip PC 101/183 = 55.19% Complete
Nick Palmieri 93/150 = 62.00% Complete

Unique Avs Cards = 1303
Unique Nordiques Cards = 1054

I for one was a untabed top loader taper (try saying that 5 times fast). I really didn't know that there could be a potential problem until Randi's post. The last couple of trades I sent out I took a penny sleeve and folded it long ways in half across the top of the loader and taped it on each side. Then put that into a team bag with 2 dummies. I then put that into an old bubble mailer and then put that into a new bubble mailer.

As for PWEs. At this point, as long as I'm asked and they get to me undamaged, I'm all for it but I do prefer bubble mailers.

Randi, this has been a great post. Even after my many trades I learned a few things. Thanks again.

Mike

Collecting Phillies base cards from 1950-present

(02-11-2012, 10:51 PM)mjmj1966 Wrote: I for one was a untabed top loader taper (try saying that 5 times fast). I really didn't know that there could be a potential problem until Randi's post. The last couple of trades I sent out I took a penny sleeve and folded it long ways in half across the top of the loader and taped it on each side. Then put that into a team bag with 2 dummies. I then put that into an old bubble mailer and then put that into a new bubble mailer.

As for PWEs. At this point, as long as I'm asked and they get to me undamaged, I'm all for it but I do prefer bubble mailers.

Randi, this has been a great post. Even after my many trades I learned a few things. Thanks again.

Mike
Haha! Great fix to the issue! I taped once, and received cards that were taped in the same trade... that was one incident where the card got damaged by being snagged on the residual. It was not the fault of the other trader, but it was the only time that I taped. I did end up buying team bags, but found the baggies that I mentioned at Dollarama!

I would personally be upset if I received a PWE without first being asked, and would take a star away. There would have to be HUGE reassurance put forth that the cards would be safe on the other trader's end.

Thanks again for the huge compliment, and for posting! I hope that this can breathe some life back into trading etiquette.

Randi

I'll mention this as it irks me, but if no one else has experienced it...
How to say this delicately.....smoke smell.
I know there may be no way around it, but to open up an envelope and smell that smell instantly devalues the card and trader for me. Anyone else?
[Image: sigimg.jpg]

Collecting Bruins + Scottie Upshall + Shaone Morrisonn + Dan Cleary
My Traders: http://www.beckett.com/organize/users/miketaylor72#c=0

(02-13-2012, 09:43 AM)miketaylor72 Wrote: I'll mention this as it irks me, but if no one else has experienced it...
How to say this delicately.....smoke smell.
I know there may be no way around it, but to open up an envelope and smell that smell instantly devalues the card and trader for me. Anyone else?
Mike: THAT is a great point!!! I have experienced it only once, but it was disgusting! Smoking is a bad habit and, according to "studies", only about 15% of the world smokes now. I can tell you... I am not a smoker, it is obvious that Mike is not a smoker, and I don't think that anyone would want to garner cards that smell like an ashtray! If at all possible, please keep you cards away from your habit! Haha!

Randi