Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Risk To Buying Hobby Boxes On Ebay?

Any Risk To Buying Hobby Boxes On Ebay?
Subject says it all...

Found a 2010-11 Season Update Hobby Box on Ebay for $47 with free shipping, I paid $60 earlier today at the LCS.

Is there any downfall to doing this?
Collect Stephen Curry, Monta Ellis, Ricky Rubio, Kevin Love and anything that looks cool.

[Image: biglovin2.gif]

RE: Any Risk To Buying Hobby Boxes On Ebay?
I always fear that people selling boxes online have purchased cases, pulled the case hit, then sell off the rest of the boxes in the case. Can't really say if this ever happens but that is why I stay away from buying individual boxes online. I only buy sealed cases. My two cents.

(02-09-2012, 03:24 AM)lshonkwiler Wrote: I always fear that people selling boxes online have purchased cases, pulled the case hit, then sell off the rest of the boxes in the case. Can't really say if this ever happens but that is why I stay away from buying individual boxes online. I only buy sealed cases. My two cents.
ur 2 cents make a lot sense ; )
Collecting: ALL NBA STARS & SUPER STARS, ALL CURRENT DETROIT LIONS & Barry Sanders + NFL STARS

http://s818.photobucket.com/albums/zz108/est89detLions/

(02-09-2012, 03:24 AM)lshonkwiler Wrote: I always fear that people selling boxes online have purchased cases, pulled the case hit, then sell off the rest of the boxes in the case. Can't really say if this ever happens but that is why I stay away from buying individual boxes online. I only buy sealed cases. My two cents.
I agree when it comes to buying off eBay, however the same can be true of card shops. I know of a shop that used to open their cases and once they got the case hit, they would sell the remaining boxes and even sell the remaining packs of the box that yielded the case hit. Once I found that out I stopped buying anything but singles from them. I haven't been back to that shop in years, so I don't know if they still do it. I do recall that I always used to wonder how they always got great cards for sale so quickly after release, until I found out about their case breaking tactics.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

Yeah, what they said is pretty much correct. If it's not dacardworld's or blowoutcard's ebay account, I don't normally trust it. You could purchase a case for $1,500, say there are 12 boxes in the case, each box normally sells for $125. You start opening boxes, find the case hit in the first 4 boxes, maybe open two more, sell all of the hits and maybe get $800 back, then sell the other 6 boxes @ $125 a pop and you've made your money back and maybe pulled some PC cards. Now, the same could also possibly be true for dacardworld or blowoutcards, but there's been evidence of case hits from them, so it's less likely.
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards

(02-09-2012, 01:42 AM)Biglovin373 Wrote: Subject says it all...

Found a 2010-11 Season Update Hobby Box on Ebay for $47 with free shipping, I paid $60 earlier today at the LCS.

Well, there is the case hit theory that the case hit has already been pulled and that's why they are selling them, but I can tell you from opening lots of cases of cards over the years, the mysterious case hit theory, it means nothing. I've opened cases that haven't had anything worth more than $30-40 in the entire case and I've opened them that have had 3 cards that would each pay for the entire case if I chose to sell them. I personally don't think there is a downfall to buying factory sealed hobby boxes off Ebay, but I'd try to target guys that sell lots of wax on there and no singles to speak of.

Collecting Eric Hosmer and Alex Gordon
[Image: tperks.gif]
Do not trade list: charbs1111

Ya that's why I questioned it but then I thought about it and was like well... Card shops could do the same thing so it's a risk either way I suppose.
Collect Stephen Curry, Monta Ellis, Ricky Rubio, Kevin Love and anything that looks cool.

[Image: biglovin2.gif]

(02-09-2012, 01:42 AM)Biglovin373 Wrote: Subject says it all...

There's always "The Case Hit Risk" but I've done ok with my box buying off e-bay, Got my Kobe auto out of a court kings box from the bay and my Griffith and Curry rookie auto's out of 2 boxes of playoff contenders plus recently pulled a Lebron auto/#5 and a Jordan 1/1 card out of some artifacts boxes so I've done well with my box hits off the bay....

My question why does all my distubtors sells me wholesale cost and gives a regulatory requirement that you must sell at MSRP but I see Ebay Sellers sells boxes under my cost, and I have a resellers permit and a business lincense and have to pay taxes. for instance the Hobby Box of 2015 Topps Finest is selling on ebay as low as $90, so minus 10% for ebay fees, shipping cost, paypal fees, that is less then $80. So my cost is 87 so if I sell each box for a 100 I am only making $5 on each single box. I believe this is crazy, and Ebay and other large Online stores has just destroyed the Hobby just saying support your local trusted card shop!

the seller on ebay could have gotten the boxes from a case they purchased from a dealer. where they pulled the case hit and is just making money off of the rest of the case. Now if they were selling a whole sealed case at a discounted price, I could see how you would have a case to complain about.

as for buying single boxes off ebay, that is a decision that I would make based upon who the seller was. Yes, just because a case hit came out doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't one or two huge cards to pull...especially if there's a sleeper player in the set. but my lcs owner always says, "why take the risk on single boxes when you can pull from a clean case?"

(05-14-2015, 04:42 AM)garyscottiewellsjr Wrote: My question why does all my distubtors sells me wholesale cost and gives a regulatory requirement that you must sell at MSRP but I see Ebay Sellers sells boxes under my cost, and I have a resellers permit and a business lincense and have to pay taxes. for instance the Hobby Box of 2015 Topps Finest is selling on ebay as low as $90, so minus 10% for ebay fees, shipping cost, paypal fees, that is less then $80. So my cost is 87 so if I sell each box for a 100 I am only making $5 on each single box. I believe this is crazy, and Ebay and other large Online stores has just destroyed the Hobby just saying support your local trusted card shop!