`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you explain this? - Loading up like its 1990.

Can you explain this? - Loading up like its 1990.
This first -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260945717133?ssP...1438.l2649

I'm looking at this from an investment perspective, the buyer might be a Harper's #1 fan, who knows?

But, how is this any different from the stories we all laugh at (or pity) of guys dropping good coin on Mike Mussina, Andy Benes, and Gregg Jefferies rookies back in the 90's?

After the big Value Box craze over the past couple weeks, the Red Harper giveaway has to be his most common card? Even if he comes out smashing rookie records, the forecast of this particular card would probably peak at $3.

For the same price they buyer could of scored a moderate #/99 Harper with better increasing value potential.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRYCE-HARPER-99-...35b8e7d7c7

I might just be ignorant to the fact, but I don't understand the top purchase at all.

Thoughts/help?
[Image: LT5.png]

RE: Can you explain this? - Loading up like its 1990.
You are underestimating the potential value of the card, not to mention other ways people sell cards. If the buyer has a shop in the DC area or any other area that will have lots of Harper collectors he probably could resell the card for close to $10 each. Even if he only resold them for $5 each he will make 50% back on his investment. Now if the buyer only sold on eBay, there is still good potential for the card to get back to $5-$10 range next season when these cards aren't as readily available as they are now.
Would I personally make this purchase at that price, NO. Would I consider it a bad buy for a speculator, NO. Are there better cards to buy to speculate with, MAYBE. It really just depends on the location and intentions of the buyer. I think the lot would've been a lot more attractive if it had some of the silver or gold versions as well and not just all red.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

I think his most common card would be his Bowman card, as you can only get the Red in Value boxes
[Image: yrBtR.png]
Collecting Reds and A's (especially Joey Votto, Bronson Arroyo, and Josh Reddick)

(02-03-2012, 06:15 PM)djohn Wrote: You are underestimating the potential value of the card, not to mention other ways people sell cards. If the buyer has a shop in the DC area or any other area that will have lots of Harper collectors he probably could resell the card for close to $10 each. Even if he only resold them for $5 each he will make 50% back on his investment. Now if the buyer only sold on eBay, there is still good potential for the card to get back to $5-$10 range next season when these cards aren't as readily available as they are now.
Would I personally make this purchase at that price, NO. Would I consider it a bad buy for a speculator, NO. Are there better cards to buy to speculate with, MAYBE. It really just depends on the location and intentions of the buyer. I think the lot would've been a lot more attractive if it had some of the silver or gold versions as well and not just all red.
I couldn't understand why in today's market why somebody would buy in such high quantities on an extremely common and easily obtainable card when there's better investment potential out there.

But, I see where you're coming from, makes sense.

After all I still have plenty of these:

[Image: DSC01602.jpg]

They make for great filler on my craigslist lots. $1 investment.

Thanks for your input djohn.
[Image: LT5.png]