`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is the biggest prospect BUST you ever went "ALL IN" on?

RE: Who is the biggest prospect BUST you ever went "ALL IN" on?
Brian Taylor was the biggest bust of all times, Had it all and then lost it in a bar fight, boy was that dumb. His 92 Topps Gold card #793 went for $1,000.00 at one time but now it books at $15.00 only since it is so rare having only been inserted into the Topps Gold factory sets.

Ray

Jay Rainville

Cool story on Maybin ... I'm a Tigers fan, and I was in my LCS back in the fall of 2006 (shop is since closed).

The guy had exactly four packs of 2006 Bowman left, and said the auto was still in the box ...

I'm like, A) What other shop owner in the world wouldn't just bust the last four packs, and B) Who is the guy who quit busting after 20 of the 24 packs and no auto?

He asked me who I was looking for, and I literally was just saying Cameron Maybin as I opened the first pack ... and the Maybin auto popped out.

He and I were both amazed.

It's still one of my favorite cards to this day.

(06-10-2012, 11:17 AM)ktcardshop Wrote: Brian Taylor was the biggest bust of all times, Had it all and then lost it in a bar fight, boy was that dumb. His 92 Topps Gold card #793 went for $1,000.00 at one time but now it books at $15.00 only since it is so rare having only been inserted into the Topps Gold factory sets.

Ray
I probably have that card or at least the base card. I wasn't even on computers yet and would not have ventured out anywhere that could buy cards for $1k at 10yrs old...
[Image: badtime.jpg]

Paging Ben McDonald..............Ben McDonald.
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

(06-12-2012, 08:57 AM)acevanquish Wrote: I probably have that card or at least the base card. I wasn't even on computers yet and would not have ventured out anywhere that could buy cards for $1k at 10yrs old...

I doubt it... It was a special card with a different picture and numbered 793 in a set of 792 and only issued in the Gold factory set.
Ray

TaylorII001

taylor001

I guess it depends on how you look at bust. I put most of my money as a kid into David Justice rookie cards.

He had a fantasic Career, but his Leaf card went from $30.00 when I bought it down to BIN on eBay for $1.00. I could go on with his other cards, but needless to say I spent 100s and now have a box of cardboard I couldn't sell. (not that I want to)

So here is to my Prado collection! Wink Since I bought low.....perhaps I have a chance.

My "All In, Can't Miss, Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread" was Gregg Jefferies. I still have an 8X10 that I had signed & personalized that's framed in a diamond shaped frame with four different rookie cards as the bases.
[Image: 1969WorldSeriesTicket.jpg]
I collect 1969 Mets memorabilia and 1960 Topps baseball, nothing else.
My 1969 Mets PC Bucket:
http://s214.photobucket.com/user/d3a3l3e3/library/1969%20NY%20Mets%20PC?sort=6&page=1

Juan Gonzalez wasn't a bust, but his cards went belly up and I'm out a small fortune.

(06-12-2012, 03:37 PM)Vols-1 Wrote: Juan Gonzalez wasn't a bust, but his cards went belly up and I'm out a small fortune.
Maybe it was more due to the set the card was in, but I've seen certified autos of his go for BIG BUCKS. I don't think he has that many. I don't doubt what you're saying, though.
[Image: IconmsBannerFinal3.jpg]