`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is the biggest prospect BUST you ever went "ALL IN" on?

RE: Who is the biggest prospect BUST you ever went "ALL IN" on?
(01-28-2012, 09:31 PM)benner73 Wrote: I definitely wouldn't call Maybin a bust just yet. Mine is Lars Anderson though. Bought a bunch of auto's of him and I think I have traded them all away now. Never again will I go for on a prospect again.
He is not a bust yet. But they need to trade him away.

I also bought a bunch of Lars, the Team USA cards. Sold enough to double my investment, and still have cards left.

Hoping he makes it big somewhere.

(01-28-2012, 09:46 PM)bosoxfan1971 Wrote: He is not a bust yet. But they need to trade him away.

I also bought a bunch of Lars, the Team USA cards. Sold enough to double my investment, and still have cards left.

Hoping he makes it big somewhere.
Yeah, Maybin definitely isn't in the same class as some of these busts. I wouldn't mind if the Tigers got him back. I've followed him since he was in the minors and always had high hopes. (Andrew Miller was looking pretty good too back then...) I think he finally started making some strides in SD last year and feel like he's headed in the right direction. I'd trade Austin Jackson for him straight up right now.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

(01-28-2012, 07:42 PM)uvaspina Wrote: Wow! That's crazy. How would one even go about buying a 50,000 lot of the same card, I wonder? -Hope he sold high on the BondsWink
he still has them all

How about 5,000 Juan Gonzalez 1990 Topps or 5,000 1991 Luis Sojo Topps. It was easy to buy big lots back then.
I still have most of them and although they were both good in their own way, they were both busts.
Member 8670

i think brien taylor was the most recognized prospect that many spent money on but never made it to the bigs
[Image: 10801621_10152449187751828_1141049448538410951_n.jpg]

All of the above is why I don't collect prospects. The misses far outweigh the hits.

Then again, considering my main collecting interest is Mark Prior, maybe I should just keep quiet! (although in my defense, I didn't start collecting him until he was well past 'prospect' status)

[Image: ceocards6copy.png]

Click on banner for photobucket link.

Jeff Francoeur. I wouldn't call him a bust but I bought up everything I could of him and he never turned into the superstar everybody thought he would.
oh yea, and Jose Capellan. with all that 100 MPH heat he was can't miss coming up thru the minors and I would drive an hour and a half during the week to watch him pitch in Myrtle Beach. I bought a lot of his stuff too but not near as much as francoeur.
[Image: bryansbanner2.jpg]
Braves certified auto count: 114 different players
HOF auto collection: 10 players
Looking for Braves auto's of current and former players.

(01-29-2012, 09:04 AM)bryandavidknight Wrote: Jeff Francoeur. I wouldn't call him a bust but I bought up everything I could of him and he never turned into the superstar everybody thought he would.
oh yea, and Jose Capellan. with all that 100 MPH heat he was can't miss coming up thru the minors and I would drive an hour and a half during the week to watch him pitch in Myrtle Beach. I bought a lot of his stuff too but not near as much as francoeur.
The Braves always seem to trade off players at the perfect time. I thought they were CRAZY for trading Andruw Jones.....but it was the perfect time. I thought they were crazy when they traded Francoeur.....pretty good timing there too.

On a separate note, I will always be a fan of Todd Van Poppel.....not because he did anything special....but because he had an ego and turned down the Braves and coincidentally gave us Chipper Jones.

[Image: Screenshot2012-08-02at100731PM.png]

The day they traded Francoeur was one of my worst days as a Braves fan. Hurt worse than a playoff loss. I had met him in MB and he was a real class act. talked to us like he really cared. STILL probably my favorite player where ever he goes.
[Image: bryansbanner2.jpg]
Braves certified auto count: 114 different players
HOF auto collection: 10 players
Looking for Braves auto's of current and former players.

Not quite a bust...the jury is still out, but I shelled out an ungodly sum in a bidding war for this single card in...of course...July of 2010, about a week before he went on the DL. For my sake and the Nationals sake, lets hope the comeback sticks.

[Image: StephenStrasburg.jpg]

I worked up the courage last night to look what the card was going for now...OMG...let's continue to keep this purchase a secret from the wife.

Better cards than women...in her own words.
Collecting:
Matt Kemp AUTOS
Dodger GU & AUTO
2009 Ultimate or Legendary Collection Quad / Auto - ALL
Mantle cards
2001 Fleer Greats of the Game AUTO 92/94 - 97.8% complete - missing Stargell Redemption Card and Mays SP
National League Rookie of the Year - GU, Auto, RC
____