`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How hard is it to get graded cards out of their cases?

How hard is it to get graded cards out of their cases?
There is a Mario I am looking at purchasing, but it is only an insert I need and they went and had the card graded. I can't stand graded cards (unless it is a Rc). So how hard would it be to get the card out of the graded case without damaging it? Cast your vote!

RE: How hard is it to get graded cards out of their cases?
A good ol sturdy butter knife does the trick. You have to be very careful though and it's a messy job.

You need to break the glue seal first and then snap chunks of the case away from the card until you can get enough grip to pry the thing open... making it an extra effort not to damage the card.

If it's a high grade, I would just keep it in there, only makes it worth more really.
[Image: TPnewbanner.png]
MARIO LEMIEUX COLLECTION = 1263 listed cards

(01-26-2012, 12:36 PM)tha penguin Wrote: A good ol sturdy butter knife does the trick. You have to be very careful though and it's a messy job.

You need to break the glue seal first and then snap chunks of the case away from the card until you can get enough grip to pry the thing open... making it an extra effort not to damage the card.

If it's a high grade, I would just keep it in there, only makes it worth more really.
Thanks for the info, not sure if I will venture into getting the card or not. I now this is my own opinion, and many will disagree with me, but to me the card is worth less if it is graded -unless it is a Rc card or something pre 1990's. I cannot stand it when I see people that have taken tuff to find Mario stuff I need and had them graded. Crazy, I know, but I guess it is one of my pet peeves.

Who is it graded by?

I've gotten some cards that were 'graded' by some of the fly by night companies. Their cases weren't all that sturdy, and with some careful hammer and chiseling around the edges I've been able to get the cards out no problem. But BGS cases seem a bit sturdier - never tried cracking one of them before, although I know others have.

I would guess you could search youtube for instructional videos.

[Image: ceocards6copy.png]

Click on banner for photobucket link.

good point by what company but BGS, PSA and yes ITG UM cases can all be open just more work compare to other brands.

that being said if it is staying in your PC to end of time, then I say go for it
using tracking numbers (all US and some Can)

(01-26-2012, 02:19 PM)runfromabear Wrote: Thanks for the info, not sure if I will venture into getting the card or not. I now this is my own opinion, and many will disagree with me, but to me the card is worth less if it is graded -unless it is a Rc card or something pre 1990's. I cannot stand it when I see people that have taken tuff to find Mario stuff I need and had them graded. Crazy, I know, but I guess it is one of my pet peeves.
Testify brother I to have a stupid topps tiffany card I need for my PC and the only one I've seen on ebay is graded, I will source it elsewhere hopefully... why would u bother?

[Image: Signaturephoto.jpg]

Collecting all Canucks cards! Currently 6310/20359 31%

LETS TRADE!

Butter knife is what I use
[Image: marksig1.jpg]
STAN MIKITA CUP FOUNDATIONS
MATT SMABY CUP PRINTING PLATES

BUCKET LINK

I too don't like graded cards and their cases. The only one I have in my collection is the 2008-09 Upper Deck Crosby Painting Auto HH-SC which I bought from someone. Hope you don't damage your card! Spud
Photobucket: http://s965.photobucket.com/albums/ae140/mrspudhead98/
I enjoy Beckett but I don't trade cards anymore.
Favorite quotes "... it will be reported to Canada Rev."
(A966567760846SVermont8911CCC346.1).

I don't do graded cards either. Not sure why, Never had a thing for them. Maybe someday. Doubtful. I've never opened a graded card, but i have one of a baseball player thats worth 25 cents. Whose it graded by? If you want, i can try cracking it open and let you know the best way, or even better, send it to you for you to practice on. Just let me know. I'm bored. Ha.

My thoughts would be to use a bandsaw to create a groove in on of the sides deep enough to get a screw driver in there, than just pry it open. Not sure what kind of glue they use, but if its low heat, use a heat gun to soften that baby up. Not sure if its truly sealed, but if it is, i dont think the heat would bother it. But that seems a bit more risky.
Looking for: Brandon Nolan, Manon Rheaume
Trilogy Ice Scripts / Ultimate Collection Premium Patches
2011-12 Upper Deck Ice / 2008-09 Upper Deck Ice
1995-96 Bowman / 1995-96 Select Certified / 1995-96 Playoff 1 on 1
2014-15 Upper Deck MVP / 2005-06 Upper Deck Ice Fresh Ice Patches

maybe a dremel tool witha cut off blade, and go around the edge of the case

SET COLLECTOR, RYAN SMYTH, BOBBY ORR AND MARTIN ST. LOUIS