`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Paterno dead at 85?

RE: Joe Paterno dead at 85?
Joe Pa did what he was supposed to do. If you have a job, you probably have some similar instructions in place as I do. At my job, if you see or hear of a co-worker doing something illegally. You are to report to management, not the police, as they will handle the situation. I believe coach has people above him, and that was their job to handle. Also, for any of you saying he should burn in hell. For every finger you point at someone, you have five fingers pointing back at you. Who are we to judge someone? Nobody is perfect on here. Get real man.

Man, first the stuff I was reading on facebook, then some of the comments on here.

Q. Did Joe Paterno witness anything happen?
A. No.

Q. Did Joe Paterno tell his superiors as in the normal chain of command?
A. Yes.

Q. What is it called when someone tells you they witnessed something happened?
A. Hearsay.

Q. Do most people who hear that something happened go and tell the proper authorities?
A. No.

Q. Could Joe have been told to let it go, that the superior's would take care of it?
A. Maybe, we don't know.

Q. Does everyone risk their job when they see (he only heard, didn't see) something morally wrong?
A. Nope.

Q. What would I do if it was one of my kids (since I have two)?
A. I'd be going after Jerry, not Joe. And if I were to go after anyone after Jerry, it'd be that grad student (can't remember his name). He supposedly saw what was going on, he called his dad first, then Joe Paterno. He then lied saying he called the cops, but they don't have record of it. People are throwing Joe Paterno under the bus more than ANYONE else who knew (OR HEARD) what happened; more than the athletic director, more than the president of the university, more than the grad student. Is this because Joe wasn't charged with anything, or is it because he gets the most publicity? If it were my kids, I'd be upset at Joe for maybe not having done more, but I would in no way be talking badly about him like I've been reading everywhere. Be mad at Jerry. Be mad at the grad student. Be mad at the directors who didn't do anything and maybe swept it under the bus. BUT KNOW THE WHOLE STORY BEFORE YOU ARE UPSET AT SOMEONE WHO NEVER SAW ANYTHING HAPPEN!

Joe Paterno lived his life trying to raise kids to be exemplary individuals scholastically and athletically. Therefore it is difficult for me to think that Joe in any way condoned, enabled, allowed, or wanted any of that to happen. He admitted he wished he had done more. He was extremely sorry for not having done more and felt extremely sorry for the kids that are the alleged victims. Now mind you, I haven't been paying much attention to the story lately because I was tired of hearing everyone slander Joe, but to my knowledge, some of the kids have even said nothing sexual happened. But even if something did, JERRY DID IT, not Joe. I'm sorry for my rant, but Joe always tried to live his life and help others live their lives morally, so it kills me when I hear the stuff I've been hearing.

R.I.P. Joe Paterno

Disclaimer: I did not know Joe personally, only what I saw and read, therefore I could be extremely wrong. But from what I've seen and read so far, nothing has shown to me that he didn't do what 99% of anyone else would have done. Everything I've read and seen so far says that he wasn't involved. As I said on facebook in response to some comments on Outside the Lines: For everyone that blames Joe for not doing everything he could have done, please go sign up for your local police academy and do everything you can to prevent stuff like this from happening every day, then you'll have room to speak.
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards

(01-22-2012, 04:54 PM)xstreaminsanity Wrote: Man, first the stuff I was reading on facebook, then some of the comments on here.

Q. Did Joe Paterno witness anything happen?
A. No.

Q. Did Joe Paterno tell his superiors as in the normal chain of command?
A. Yes.

Q. What is it called when someone tells you they witnessed something happened?
A. Hearsay.

Q. Do most people who hear that something happened go and tell the proper authorities?
A. No.

Q. Could Joe have been told to let it go, that the superior's would take care of it?
A. Maybe, we don't know.

Q. Does everyone risk their job when they see (he only heard, didn't see) something morally wrong?
A. Nope.

Q. What would I do if it was one of my kids (since I have two)?
A. I'd be going after Jerry, not Joe. And if I were to go after anyone after Jerry, it'd be that grad student (can't remember his name). He supposedly saw what was going on, he called his dad first, then Joe Paterno. He then lied saying he called the cops, but they don't have record of it. People are throwing Joe Paterno under the bus more than ANYONE else who knew (OR HEARD) what happened; more than the athletic director, more than the president of the university, more than the grad student. Is this because Joe wasn't charged with anything, or is it because he gets the most publicity? If it were my kids, I'd be upset at Joe for maybe not having done more, but I would in no way be talking badly about him like I've been reading everywhere. Be mad at Jerry. Be mad at the grad student. Be mad at the directors who didn't do anything and maybe swept it under the bus. BUT KNOW THE WHOLE STORY BEFORE YOU ARE UPSET AT SOMEONE WHO NEVER SAW ANYTHING HAPPEN!

Joe Paterno lived his life trying to raise kids to be exemplary individuals scholastically and athletically. Therefore it is difficult for me to think that Joe in any way condoned, enabled, allowed, or wanted any of that to happen. He admitted he wished he had done more. He was extremely sorry for not having done more and felt extremely sorry for the kids that are the alleged victims. Now mind you, I haven't been paying much attention to the story lately because I was tired of hearing everyone slander Joe, but to my knowledge, some of the kids have even said nothing sexual happened. But even if something did, JERRY DID IT, not Joe. I'm sorry for my rant, but Joe always tried to live his life and help others live their lives morally, so it kills me when I hear the stuff I've been hearing.

R.I.P. Joe Paterno

Disclaimer: I did not know Joe personally, only what I saw and read, therefore I could be extremely wrong. But from what I've seen and read so far, nothing has shown to me that he didn't do what 99% of anyone else would have done. Everything I've read and seen so far says that he wasn't involved. As I said on facebook in response to some comments on Outside the Lines: For everyone that blames Joe for not doing everything he could have done, please go sign up for your local police academy and do everything you can to prevent stuff like this from happening every day, then you'll have room to speak.
I could not of said it better myself so all the negative people who wanna talk bad about him put yourself in his shoes and you would of done the same thing. Thanks Xstream fror putting in perspective.
Derek Jeter Collector from 1992-1996. 305 out of 306 99% complete.

1450/1919 1990's Jeter cards 76%

[Image: scan0116-1.jpg]

(01-22-2012, 05:09 PM)chrisa19978 Wrote: I could not of said it better myself so all the negative people who wanna talk bad about him put yourself in his shoes and you would of done the same thing. Thanks Xstream fror putting in perspective.

No problem. Smile

Lynch mobs don't have hearts...or brains either.

RIP
[Image: amazontmsc.jpg]

Xstreaminsanity hit the nail on the head! Too much negativity developed. He was a Husband,a Father, a Son, a Friend, a coach, a teacher, a mentor, a legend. Did he have faults? Yes...we all do. Did he have regrets? Yes...we all do. Was he perfect? No. Either am I or you. RIP JoePa...."You are Penn State!"
Collecting Bob Feller, 1951 Bowman, anything Cleveland.

[Image: SonnyDay.jpg]

(01-22-2012, 05:30 PM)sonnyday Wrote: Xstreaminsanity hit the nail on the head! Too much negativity developed. He was a Husband,a Father, a Son, a Friend, a coach, a teacher, a mentor, a legend. Did he have faults? Yes...we all do. Did he have regrets? Yes...we all do. Was he perfect? No. Either am I or you. RIP JoePa...."You are Penn State!"

Now that said it all.
[Image: broockerd_zpsd0d55e86.png]
Kila Ka'aihue 133/138 Non 1/1s (96% complete) 13/64 1/1s (19% complete)
Auto Needs: http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1529244.html

(01-22-2012, 04:30 PM)mnc99 Wrote: For every finger you point at someone, you have five fingers pointing back at you.
Is this directed at Antonio Alfonseca?
(01-22-2012, 04:54 PM)xstreaminsanity Wrote: Q. What is it called when someone tells you they witnessed something happened?
A. Hearsay.
Actually, no. If Paterno were to testify that someone else witnessed an event, Paterno's words would be hearsay. What Joe himself heard was an eyewitness account.

As you said, even Paterno admitted he should have followed up (or expressed the wish that he had, which amounts to the same thing). It's too bad that a person's legacy is sometimes characterized by a single mistake, but it happens, especially if the mistake is big enough or consequential enough.

It should be no surprise that some people will choose to remember Paterno fondly and some cannot get past his horrible mistake. I think both groups are justified to feel the way they do about him.

(01-22-2012, 04:30 PM)mnc99 Wrote: Joe Pa did what he was supposed to do. If you have a job, you probably have some similar instructions in place as I do. At my job, if you see or hear of a co-worker doing something illegally. You are to report to management, not the police, as they will handle the situation. I believe coach has people above him, and that was their job to handle. Also, for any of you saying he should burn in hell. For every finger you point at someone, you have five fingers pointing back at you. Who are we to judge someone? Nobody is perfect on here. Get real man.
Just curious how many 6 fingered people you know?? If 1 is pointing at somebody, how do you have 5 more pointing back at yourself??

(01-22-2012, 06:49 PM)bosoxfan1971 Wrote: Just curious how many 6 fingered people you know?? If 1 is pointing at somebody, how do you have 5 more pointing back at yourself??
I hope that was meant to be funny and not an actual question. Smile