Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's worse? Off Center or creases

RE: What's worse? Off Center or creases
i always stay away from creases
[Image: thCA4A41M6_zps6c3e4a45.jpg]

I can't see any pics at the moment but my own personal taste is that centering is most important. With that said, it depends on the creasing as well. If it looks like it had been folded in half in someone's pants pocket for a couple of weeks, while centered perfectly, I'm going to hold off.

Sometimes, I like that "character" that comes with some light creasing.

As far as centering goes, I'm somewhat picky on that....I think it makes the card look sloppy and ugly and I like my vintage cards to at least present well and look nice and neat. As far as creasing goes, I don't mind small creases (like the one in the Mays picture)....but if it's been folded in half and has a huge crease I stay away. I like my cards to show some character and not be pristine, but I don't want bottom-of-the-barrel cards that don't look decent either.
[Image: Screenshot2012-08-02at100731PM.png]

In my experience creasing destroys grades, a card can go from 4 to 1 very quickly with a large crease.

Personally I hate looking at cards that are that much off center...

Cant really see the surfaces but depending on how severe that dark stuff on the right border of the first card is Id say the first would certainly grade higher, neither would grade higher than 3 imo...

-:Mets:-:NY Rangers:-:Twins:-:Wild:-:Vikings:-

Yea,I guess either works since they both are bad.

Im working on the 1958 set,but right now I'm not mega concerned with condition. Creases hurt ya,but I agree w/ jacobystealshome,and I think #1 was miscut.

And these 2 are the only ones I can afford right now Big Grin

And I just read the description on #1,and it has a barely visable crease(says you can see it in the light,and goes from top right of card,all the way to Willie's hat brim).

So I bought #2. haha. I personally prefer a better centered card,even if it has a crease(depending on how bad the crease is of course).

Even though most thought #1 was better,I still took all your advice in consideration and I thank you!!!
[Image: 60JLt.png]

[Image: TexasHorns.jpg]

My Teams: Longhorns (Colt McCoy & Vince Young PC) - Ravens (Ray Lewis PC) - Yankees (Alex Rodriguez PC)

If you are strictly talking centering vs creasing than I would say bad centering would be preferred. However it really comes down to how bad is the centering vs how bad is the creasing. From the pictures I would say that the centering is worse than the creasing. That being said, those are rarely the only 2 items on vintage cards to look at. Both cards show pretty bad rounded corners, but I think that the top right corner on card #1 is the worst corner of all.
Sounds like you went with card #2, which is what I would have done if it was me. Good choice.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(01-20-2012, 01:15 PM)djohn Wrote: If you are strictly talking centering vs creasing than I would say bad centering would be preferred. However it really comes down to how bad is the centering vs how bad is the creasing. From the pictures I would say that the centering is worse than the creasing. That being said, those are rarely the only 2 items on vintage cards to look at. Both cards show pretty bad rounded corners, but I think that the top right corner on card #1 is the worst corner of all.
Sounds like you went with card #2, which is what I would have done if it was me. Good choice.
Thank you sir! Yea I went with the lesser of two evils. Rounded corners are typical so that didn't hinder me,but in this case,crease wins for me. My Koufax & Spahn are nice from this set,so I do have a couple good ones so far.
[Image: 60JLt.png]

[Image: TexasHorns.jpg]

My Teams: Longhorns (Colt McCoy & Vince Young PC) - Ravens (Ray Lewis PC) - Yankees (Alex Rodriguez PC)

My theory is "how did it come out of the pack"? You can't do anything about centering from the manufacturer, but the crease is usually "after market" or collector enduced.

Creases
Trade Site

ALWAYS COLLECTING ALEX RODRIGUEZ RC, AUTO'S

Like majority say
STAY AWAY from crease PERIOD!
[Image: farewelltothecathedralqs1.jpg]