`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
BVG vs PSA???

RE: BVG vs PSA???
(11-13-2013, 05:36 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: And that's exactly what you get with Beckett!!
I swear you're on their payroll.

Don't worry about me EVER commenting on one of your posts again. I just put you on ignore. Now it's you and 103 other people.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

The psa vs. bvg/bgs debate is a never ending, un-winnable argument. Both companies have positive and negative aspects about them.

I'm a BGS/BVG guy for a few reasons; I like the case better, it's sturdier, inner sleeve, uv protection, better eye appeal and guaranteed turnaround times. It's also known that BGS has stricter grading guidelines than PSA mainly in the centering category (which boggles my mind why people would prefer a company with more lenient grading standards especially with centering) but anyway...

PSA has very strong qualities too, they've been around longer, thinner cases (many people like that), graded more cards than any other grading company, they don't grade sheet cut cards/hand cut (or they label them as such), built up a very strong reputation, they also grade packs. Psa is also a publicly traded company.

I think the bottom line is both companies are solid all around. Both companies over grade and under grade cards sometimes and with grading being a subjective business, it's bound to happen...nobody's perfect!

We've all seen ugly looking PSA 10's, conversely we've all seen ugly looking BGS 9.5's!

(02-02-2012, 01:38 AM)leo1968 Wrote: For vintage cards, like SGC but that's my preference.

Card grading is over rated and a waste of ones money in most cases and should be used for high value and very rare cards due to counterfeits and being altered. A mint card is a mint card regardless of age in my opinion.
I prefer SGC now too. I think their standards are more evenly applied and I do like their holder, the way it presents the card.
[Image: 2p7g0XL.png]

(11-13-2013, 06:48 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: Don't worry about me EVER commenting on one of your posts again. I just put you on ignore. Now it's you and 68 other people.
68 people and one common denominator.............
(02-11-2014, 03:27 AM)altz11 Wrote: I think the bottom line is both companies are solid all around. Both companies over grade and under grade cards sometimes and with grading being a subjective business, it's bound to happen...nobody's perfect!

We've all seen ugly looking PSA 10's, conversely we've all seen ugly looking BGS 9.5's!
This sums it up pretty well. The "which one is better" ultimately is just elementary schoolyard nonsense anyway.

Beckett graded cards sell for more than any PSA card I've seen I've seen a PSA 10 sell for 500 then a BGS 10 sell for 2000. I myself will be using BGS for all of my grading purposes because I love the slabs, and well I hate PSA slabs haha

(02-21-2014, 09:51 PM)The_Baseball_Fan Wrote: Beckett graded cards sell for more than any PSA card I've seen I've seen a PSA 10 sell for 500 then a BGS 10 sell for 2000. I myself will be using BGS for all of my grading purposes because I love the slabs, and well I hate PSA slabs haha
PSA 10 and BGS 10 are completely different grades. PSA 10 is "gem mint" whereas a BGS 10 is "pristine," the two cannot be compared. That would be like saying a 7 "near mint" is the same as an 8 "near mint to mint."

Also, there are considerably less BGS 10's floating around so naturally the prices are going to be much higher.

Lastly, I prefer BGS/BVG more than PSA but generally speaking I believe PSA graded cards get higher prices. This may be more accurate with vintage cards and there are exceptions but typically people prefer psa.

(02-22-2014, 08:47 AM)altz11 Wrote: PSA 10 and BGS 10 are completely different grades. PSA 10 is "gem mint" whereas a BGS 10 is "pristine," the two cannot be compared. That would be like saying a 7 "near mint" is the same as an 8 "near mint to mint."

Also, there are considerably less BGS 10's floating around so naturally the prices are going to be much higher.

Lastly, I prefer BGS/BVG more than PSA but generally speaking I believe PSA graded cards get higher prices. This may be more accurate with vintage cards and there are exceptions but typically people prefer psa.
I also prefer BGS/BVG to PSA!!

(02-22-2014, 08:47 AM)altz11 Wrote: PSA 10 and BGS 10 are completely different grades. PSA 10 is "gem mint" whereas a BGS 10 is "pristine," the two cannot be compared. That would be like saying a 7 "near mint" is the same as an 8 "near mint to mint."

Why do you think people prefer PSA? Is it because they have been around longer? Thanks.

(02-23-2014, 01:19 AM)jctone Wrote: Why do you think people prefer PSA? Is it because they have been around longer? Thanks.
I've been collecting graded cards since 2002 and I prefer BGS/BVG. I've found that PSA is not real keen on Centering. I cross PSA 10's over to BGS/BVG and I have to pass on a ton because they would get a 9 at best IF they were Graded by Beckett.