`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
to our friends and extended family here on Beckett please read and reply .....

RE: to our friends and extended family here on Beckett please read and reply .....
1) why do you collect ?
I like the thrill of busting wax, sniping a card on eBay, and enjoying the history of the only REAL sport on cardboard.

2) who do you collect ?
2010 Sam Bradford autographs

3) what started you into collecting ?
It was a 'Who'. I used to manage a convenience store back in the late 80s to early 90s. One of my customers would get a morning vup of coffee, then flip over every box of Pro Set cards to see what the pattern was on the bottom. One day, I asked him why he was doing that, and he reploed he was looking for boxes that might hold a Lombardi Trophy hologram. He would but some packs, then give me the cards. As far as I know, he never found a hologram, but he piqued my interest in collecting.

4) what could improve your collecting experience ?
Bradford having a full season on the field under new Coach, Jeff Fisher, so his prices startr going up again. That, and getting more hours at work so I can buy more stuff.

5) what would you like to see from the manufacturers in 2012 ?
It's what I DON'T want to see... no more EVENT WORN pieces. Either GAME worn or nothing at all.

6) what can you/we do to grow our hobby ?
Be better traders. Let the manufacturers know when we don't like their designs.

7) do you consider collecting an "investment" or passion ?
Passion. I mean, I definitely want my collection to be worth something, but I don;t collect to invest. I collect because I have a passion for the sport and for the cards.
[Image: sds_zpsc4ba5032.jpg]

You are already missed

RE: to our friends and extended family here on Beckett please read and reply .....
1: I love me some foosball, and collecting stuff. I got tired of Disney/Pixar Cars diecast and sold it all, not into Hot Wheels anymore, and it's easier to store than atv's and the parts associated with them.

2: I collect stuff related to THE Ohio Sate University Buckeyes football team.

3: S&S Sportscards and Boscos in Eagle River, AK were the two cards shops in our "town" of about 20,000 people. Dad is a huge baseball fan and was interested in what new baseball stuff looked like versus the cards he collected in the 1960's.

4: No exclusive licensing, UD pretty much ruined my Buckeye uniform cards.

5: Less products that are so similar to each other. Topps could probably drop 3 products, have bigger sets with more sp's and still make money. I would also like to see genuine incentives for the players to sign their stuff (that they agreed to in the first place) to eliminate (or drastically reduce) redemptions.

6: Give cardboard away every time I/we can.

7: See answer to question 2 LOL.
[Image: 1c4478fb-d731-4d9f-ba14-899045a13077_zps5489e52d.jpg]

1) why do you collect ? Its brings me as close to the game as I can get.

2) who do you collect ? My sig says it all lol.

3) what started you into collecting ? My dad brainwashing me to love football lol.

4) what could improve your collecting experience ? More low end traders

5) what would you like to see from the manufacturers in 2012 ? A Jason Taylor or Zach Thomas card!!! ZERO new cards of ZT since 2009 and nothing new of JT since 2010

6) what can you/we do to grow our hobby ? Allow those with small budgets a chance to land some high end cards.

7) do you consider collecting an "investment" or passion ? Its 90% passion and 10% investment. Everytime I but a card I always think was that a good buy and when I get the card in hand I simply dont care anymore lol.

Cool thread pbean!

Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341

Anything for ya!
1) why do you collect ?
I collect for fun. I collect with my son and it is a bonding thing like my father and I had.
2) who do you collect ?
Everything and everyone. Mostly football and NY Giants.
My dad started me in collecting in 1994
Packs costing less.
More creativity with the base cards. They are so blah. Who wants to collect a set anymore when all cards are white or black and white. What ever happened to action photography!!!
Participate and help spread the hobby word. We can also give cards that we dont want to those less fortunate who might enjoy the hobby.
I consider it both. Right not its a hobby first. Later on in life when I am old, I hope i had made a great investment.

thanks for all your great replies folks ..... let's keep this going Smile

1) why do you collect ?
I love cards. The coolness factor has and always will be there for me. I love sharing the hobby with my dad, and now being able to share it with my kids.

2) who do you collect ?
I collect Dan Marino. I also have extremely neglected side PCs of Isaac Bruce, Sam Madison, Patrick Surtain, and Karim Abdul-Jabbar.

I have no idea. Its something I have always done. I remember being 4 or 5 and getting my older brother to grab the 5000 ct. box out of the top of the closet so I may look at my Marino RC. Im currently 28.

More money would help.

I would like to see insert sets and game used sets seperated. Unique ideas for both. Too often are the insert card design are compromised to save space for a GU'd version. This also cheapens the GU'd version because many collectors get overexposed to the "same old" design, just one with and one without jersey.

STOP THE NEGATIVITY. We as a collecting base need to learn and appreciate cards once again. Too often do fellow collectors devalue their own collections and often devalue their own wants. The internet has made it easier to obtain cards /50 at the original release date, but it does not make these cards common. If we fail to see the value in our collectibles, what makes an outsider want to collect it? If your buddy pulls a game used numbered to 50 of Jerry Rice, HOFer, from a $20 pack of cards, sits and drools over it for 30 seconds, you walk over to see the big commotion... what do you say? What do you do? Too often, veteran collectors brush it off and say, "Oh, thats not a big deal. You might get $10 on the bay." Why can't the veteran base realize, I use to be that way? So enthusiastic over a card. What can I do to get that back? I think when we get our enthusiasm back, people will start collecting again. Enthusiasm is infectious.

Its definitely a passion. I justify the cost of my passion because I feel I buy right for most of my PC, and therefore, makes it a smart investment.
Trying to finish these sets:
1999 Upper Deck Strike Force Quantum /100
2000 Score Complete Players Green/ Blue
2000 Leaf Piece of the Game Preview 4th Down Isaac Bruce
2008 Premier NFL Equipment /25 John Elway

Let me know if you have any available.

new day "bump" Smile

1. Why do I collect?
I just love it! I love football and I feel closer to the game somehow. Also, since I found Beckett and have been active on the boards, I love interacting with other collectors.
2. Who/what do I collect?
Niners with an emphasis on Steve Young. 2010 Gridiron Kings and anything shiny. I love 90's inserts Smile
3. What started me collecting?
I picked up team sets in the parking lot at the Niners games back in the 80s. Back then I used to buy boxes and try and complete whole sets.
4. What could improve the experience?
More shows. More active traders who had the older stuff I am looking for.
5. What would I like to see from manufacturers in 2012?
Get rid of event worn jsy cards. Have more retired/legend players. Start putting linemen and defensive players in so that team sets would be fun again.
6. What can you/we do to grow our hobby?
Keep kids involved. Totally agree with what Marinocollector said, get excited about that auto #er to 299! It's an autograph of your favorite player! Woo hoo, hell yeah!!!!
7. Passion or investment? Definitely a passion. Smile

Great idea PBean Smile
Currently trying to build 2010 Gridiron Kings
I collect Steve Young, Manny Lawson, Roger Craig and most things Niners.

1) I am the BIGGEST Jordan Shipley fan anywhere, and am determined to have the Largest PC of him anywhere...
2) Jordan Shipley DUH...Wink
3) being a huge football fan, and buying packs and trading at a very young age...
4) more friendly members and traders...
5) more Jordan Shipley cards!!! NO MORE redemption cards!!!
6) be more helpful with advice and insight in the collecting world... Also want to start up a Jordan Shipley Collectors and fan club/website... Taking part in more gifting cards to members for their PC's...
7) passion, no doubt... It's all about having FUN, and enjoying this awesome hobby!!!Wink
JAXON SHIPLEY SUPER COLLECTOR-PAYPAL ALWAYS AVAILABLE!!!Big Grin