`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Low-priced vintage

Low-priced vintage
Hey, guys. You are the experts, so I figured I'd get your thoughts. I prefer vintage cards, but don't have much of a budget to play with. So, with that in mind, if you wanted to pick up a card (or cards) from the 50s,60s or 70s for about $25 or less, what would you go after? I like to pick Tigers cards (especially Al Kaline), sometimes at a lesser condition so I can afford it. Would like to get some cards of some other HOFers, too, or some stars that might not have made it to Cooperstown. What would you get for yourself, or recommend to someone like me on a budget? Look forward to reading your thoughts. Thanks!
Collect Kirk Gibson (Tigers), Lou Whitaker, Alan Trammell, Jack Morris (Tigers), Lance Parrish (Tigers), Sparky Anderson (Tigers), Tom Brookens (Tigers), as well as earlier Tigers greats like Al Kaline, Norm Cash, Mickey Lolich, Willie Horton,etc.

RE: Low-priced vintage
Some of the insert and lesser known sets would fit your budget. '68 Topps Game, '64 Topps Giants, '69 Deckle Edge, just to name a few.
Interested in EX-MT or better pre-'56 Cardinals, '53 Bowman Color & '74-'78 Topps.
http://s606.photobucket.com/home/jalbregts

Like Jason said, there are ways to stay in the collecting game, get HOFer cards and not spend a fortune until you can afford some thing more.

There are sets I still enjoy and have HOF players for CHEAP!!! They also include some Pics that are not often seen. Some that come to mind:

1987 Hygrade, 1983 Cramer Sports(Pacific), '80s MSA (many are round cards), 1988-9? Pacific Legends I & II, 1988 CCC (T206 reprints), 1992-4 Conlon & Mega cards continuing set (almost all are Pre WWII pics), 80s MCAA sets, Any Galasso(sp) sets and there are many more with the prices being right....Have Fun...Mel
I have been gone a long time, my ideas on collecting have changed as I have aged. Will only be here Off and On because things are different. Not going to do much Trading but will offer some items For Sale. As Always, Have FUN !...Mel

1947-66 Exhibits....beautiful postcard sized cards for relatively cheap (I've gotten Braves HOFers for $5 or less)....also 1968 Topps Game...great way to get stars/HOFers for low prices.
[Image: Screenshot2012-08-02at100731PM.png]

I have a '79 Topps #251 Jack morris if your interested.

I picked up a 1956 johnny antonelli for $10 the other day at a local card show here that looks pretty darn good ( i would say at least a 6-6.5)

I would pick a player, do some research and go from there (or a team). For me, I want to get all of Antonelli's cards from 50-61 which isnt a lot and also doesn't book for much either. The most expensive card would be his 1950 bowman rookie but it won't be more than 100 bucks for it. Heck i probably wont spend more than 400 bucks for his collection of base cards and this will take me a couple of years to complete to look for the best possible condition within my price range.

Hey I have a "1959 Topps #463 Al Kaline BT#{Bat Champ" if you want to trade for it. Its in my baseball PC for now but i'd be willing to trade it away to ya. Let me know and good luck!

-- Rob
Looking to complete the 2013 Archives Mets fan favorite Au's (Just need Ron Darling) and 2014 Topps Gypsy Queen set mini base + SPs. Also working on 2015 Topps Chrome and updates. Please note that if you have less than 15 trades, I ask that you send first.