`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
old boxes?

RE: old boxes?
I'm a sucker for old wax on clearance. I have been bit by the redemption issue a few times, but I have also had some incredible hits.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

Thats what i was talking about. I mean if you pulled a sweet auto and a 1/1 Logo shield. Think of all the other 1/1 logo shields and other autos that are actually in the boxes. There is pry thousands of dollars worth of cards just sitting on the shelf. I know that it pretty optimistic but you got to think what if. I bought a 2007 Donruss classics and got a triple gu with Walter payton. I know its not a huge hit but yeah There are so many undiscovered cards. Also think of the rookie cards that could be sitting in cardboard.

The last time I busted old wax, I picked up 4 boxes of '09 Threads from DA when it was on clearance. Pulled an AP auto /10 and a Stafford RC auto jersey /25, was awesome. Need to do it again!

When I was collecting, I almost NEVER bought boxes from the current year, usually at least a couple years back.
These are some of the pulls from boxes at least 2 years old when I busted them.
[Image: buck08limitedmegaautojer.jpg]
[Image: buck08limitedmegaautojerbac.jpg]
[Image: lcm7a.jpg]
[Image: lcm7b.jpg]
[Image: scan0003-6.jpg]
[Image: buck08limitedryan.jpg]
[Image: buck08limitedryanback.jpg]

Also pulled a TJ Who'sYourMama 1/1 NFL Shield from a box of 07 National Treasures in 2009, no pic.
[Image: Evil_Dead2.gif]

Wow, some awesome stories about some great pulls out of old boxes. I bit the bullet and used my Amazon Gift cards and ordered 2 x 2004 SP Authentic Football boxes. Hoping for some awesome patch autos Smile
http://i.imgur.com/txv1n.png - I have earned over $700 Amazon.com Gift Certificates, used towards buying boxes, PM me if you want to learn how!

I love busting older wax. In football, I pulled a really nice Jamaal Charles RC patch auto out of '08 Limited numbered to /49. Not the highest dollar hit, but it was a really cool card. In baseball though, I had the biggest pull of my life out of older wax. I bought a box of '07 Legendary Cuts for $50, and pulled a Roberto Clemente cut auto #2/3. I sold it to pay off the rest I owed on my truck. Man do I miss that card. So yeah, I'm a HUGE fan of cracking older boxes.

If you buy an old box today, your chances of hitting a huge 1/1 hit are..... exactly the same as they were to hit that same card the day the product came out.

(01-16-2012, 01:07 PM)joe callahan13 Wrote: If you buy an old box today, your chances of hitting a huge 1/1 hit are..... exactly the same as they were to hit that same card the day the product came out.
But usually the cost to try is much lower.
[Image: HornungNamePicture.jpg]
My photobucket: http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q209/coachlew10/
Green Bay Packer Auto collector!!! Current and HOF Packers.

True. I was referring to the comments about all the huge hits pulled from old boxes. The odds (unfortunately) don't get better the longer they sit on the shelf. :-)

(01-16-2012, 03:08 PM)joe callahan13 Wrote: True. I was referring to the comments about all the huge hits pulled from old boxes. The odds (unfortunately) don't get better the longer they sit on the shelf. :-)
Oh there's no doubt about that, odds are the same. Sorry if I made it sound like buying older boxes will give you better chances at great hits.
I just always did it because I thought the overall value busting 2+ year old boxes was MUCH better than current or 1 year old product compared to per box costs. I'm not talking about book value either, value meaning quality of cards pulled, BV wasn't as big an issue with me.

I did however most times make sure that any redemptions were still valid for the stuff I broke, unless it was just an insane deal ie 2006 Upper Deck Rookie Debut with 2 Autos & 1 Mem for $25 per. LOVED that stuff!!
[Image: Evil_Dead2.gif]