`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question

Question
I sent in some cards for a friend using the 5-day service. They will be here tomorrow. 8 of them are 2011 Topps Chrome Football cards that I looked at myself before sending in. Not one single card came back higher than a 9. I have a pretty good eye and thought the majority of these would be 9.5's with maybe a couple 10's.
Other than busting them out of their case and re-sending them in, is there any other option? My friend really doesn't want to incur the cost of having to send them in again and pay the fees twice.
I realize that sometimes you get a grader that really picks on your cards, but this is one is pretty bad...

RE: Question
(01-09-2012, 01:12 PM)dwise25 Wrote: I sent in some cards for a friend using the 5-day service. They will be here tomorrow. 8 of them are 2011 Topps Chrome Football cards that I looked at myself before sending in. Not one single card came back higher than a 9. I have a pretty good eye and thought the majority of these would be 9.5's with maybe a couple 10's.
Other than busting them out of their case and re-sending them in, is there any other option? My friend really doesn't want to incur the cost of having to send them in again and pay the fees twice.
I realize that sometimes you get a grader that really picks on your cards, but this is one is pretty bad...
Beckett is a really strict grading company!! Is this your first time submitting cards to Beckett? Topps Chrome are known for surface issues.

If you want better grades, then submit them to PSA.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(01-09-2012, 01:27 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: Beckett is a really strict grading company!! Is this your first time submitting cards to Beckett? Topps Chrome are known for surface issues.

Uh, no. Not my first time. I hand pick cards to send in and I look at the surface. Someone just decided to be extra picky with my submission...

I think a lot of the Chrome Cards are getting a lower grade because they are getting bad subgrades on edges. It looks as though Topps used a chainsaw to cut their sheets this year. This has never been a problem in past sets....but i noticed this year that Finest and Chrome have very rough edges.
Collecting Bob Feller, 1951 Bowman, anything Cleveland.

[Image: SonnyDay.jpg]

I will be interested to see the subgrades...also sent in a 1986 Topps Jerry Rice that wasn't worse than a 9 and it came back an 8...

(01-09-2012, 01:27 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: Beckett is a really strict grading company!! Is this your first time submitting cards to Beckett? Topps Chrome are known for surface issues.

Yes Beckett, is a strict grading company....but PSA is also just as strict if not stricter.

Collecting Bob Feller, 1951 Bowman, anything Cleveland.

[Image: SonnyDay.jpg]

(01-09-2012, 01:44 PM)sonnyday Wrote: Yes Beckett, is a strict grading company....but PSA is also just as strict if not stricter.
haha, that's a good one!! You've got to be kidding me!!
(01-09-2012, 01:43 PM)dwise25 Wrote: I will be interested to see the subgrades...also sent in a 1986 Topps Jerry Rice that wasn't worse than a 9 and it came back an 8...
Yeah, I'm interested in seeing those subgrades too!!
(01-09-2012, 01:31 PM)dwise25 Wrote: Someone just decided to be extra picky with my submission...
um...

(01-09-2012, 02:07 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: haha, that's a good one!! You've got to be kidding me!!
Until you have anything to support your claim about BGS, the same can be said to you. We all know you love BGS, everyone has been subjected to that. OBVIOUSLY there is a bias coming from you.

(01-09-2012, 01:12 PM)dwise25 Wrote: I sent in some cards for a friend using the 5-day service. They will be here tomorrow. 8 of them are 2011 Topps Chrome Football cards that I looked at myself before sending in. Not one single card came back higher than a 9. I have a pretty good eye and thought the majority of these would be 9.5's with maybe a couple 10's.
Just remember that it is human beings doing the grading. You could have had a guy who had a good/bad night the night prior and was feeling it. Who knows?

I would have someone else look at the cards for you (not a grading company) before sending in again, if you do send in again just in case your eyes are seeing the card better than it really is. Then send in again. A guy over on another site I frequent submitted a card three times to BGS. First time it came back a 9, second time it came back a 9, third time it came back a 9.5 with one of the subgrades (I think it was the surface, not 100% off the top of my head) being a full grade higher on the third submission as opposed to the first. All depends on the grader.

EDIT: Just went and looked, it was the edges. Started at 9, then 9.5, then 10.

(01-10-2012, 08:27 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: Until you have anything to support your claim about BGS, the same can be said to you. We all know you love BGS, everyone has been subjected to that. OBVIOUSLY there is a bias coming from you.
WELL, at least you KNOW where I stand!!

Stupid question, but was the centering very good on all of these cards? Even if slightly off it could really hurt the overall grade and could be a possible explanation for not getting any 9.5's. Topps Chrome is notorious for having centering issues.