`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1992 Fleer Update - why so few?

1992 Fleer Update - why so few?
I was not collecting at the time. And back when I was collecting in the mid to late 80s, I didn't pay much attention to Traded, Updated, etc. sets.

As of right now, there are only 10 92 Fleer Update Piazza cards on eBay, and there are at least 33 Pete Rose RCs. Mind boggling to me. Did Fleer just produce an insanely low number of sets that year or something?

RE: 1992 Fleer Update - why so few?
prob just not highly desired- most cards from the late 80's thru 90's are almost a joke and people can hardly give them away.
on the other hand- ebay goes in cycles if it's not a new product. so you could check again in 2 weeks and see 10 roses.

(01-09-2012, 01:24 PM)mikmouse24 Wrote: prob just not highly desired- most cards from the late 80's thru 90's are almost a joke and people can hardly give them away.
on the other hand- ebay goes in cycles if it's not a new product. so you could check again in 2 weeks and see 10 roses.
Thanks for the response. I was aware that most cards from that era were junk, but the 92 Fleer Update Piazza is far from a card you can't give away. $X BV and the cheapest one on eBay right now is $40. If people had them, I think they'd be out there. And they aren't just hard to find on eBay, them seem hard to find everywhere. I get the impression there may have been a real low production run for that set for some reason, but that's just a guess.

The 1992 Fleer Update set was pretty limited. It includes a Mike Piazza rookie, so a lot of the sets were broken for that card. You will find more of the singles available than you will find complete sets. Also there isn't much reason for someone to post the set on eBay right now as there aren't any players making headlines that are in the set. You will probably see a bunch more of those sets coming up for sale when Piazza becomes eligible for the hall of fame.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(01-09-2012, 02:03 PM)djohn Wrote: The 1992 Fleer Update set was pretty limited. It includes a Mike Piazza rookie, so a lot of the sets were broken for that card. You will find more of the singles available than you will find complete sets. Also there isn't much reason for someone to post the set on eBay right now as there aren't any players making headlines that are in the set. You will probably see a bunch more of those sets coming up for sale when Piazza becomes eligible for the hall of fame.
Thanks for your response. I am actually looking for the Piazza only. You'd think the card going for $40 at the lowest would be a good reason for folks with that card to post them for sale. Like you say, I guess most could be waiting for him to reach the HOF. But that doesn't stop a bazillion Glavine, Maddux and Smoltz RCs from being up now. And they won't be eligible until about the same time Piazza is.

There were a bazillion more rookies of Glavine, Maddux and Smoltz rookies made then there were Piazza rookies. Piazza was one of the few players from the 90s that had only 1 true RC (1992 Bowman) and 1 XRC (1992 Fleer Update). It was probably because Piazza was taken in the 62nd round of the draft.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?rt=nc&LH_...86.c0.m283

They have sold as low as 13$, and as high as 75$ based on grade.
[Image: n0Ji6.png]