`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Please help a newbie start collecting Football cards

RE: Please help a newbie start collecting Football cards
Yeah, I used to get caught up in the buying to resell aspect. It's fun when you get the big money stuff and are able to make money, but now I think it's more fun to simply collect for the fun of it. I much prefer to just buy what I want, and if I have extra money to rip, I will. I certainly don't expect things to work on in my favor financially though. Just have some fun with it.

If you still end up ripping to make some money, I think I did best ripping on the first day or two a product was out or waiting until the prices come down a bit and then going after the higher end stuff. Can't make money over paying on something where the hype is gone. Just my 2 cents
[Image: 9cef0db8.jpg]

Always interested in quality Barnes, Red Sox, and Patriots

Thanks everyone for all your input.

I am a collector and not a seller. I'm just saying that I like to chase after the sought after cards, thats the aspect I really enjoy, the thrill of pulling a big card. Smile

You guys still haven't recommended me on what sets are good. Tongue

Personally I like Certified and Absolute. National treasures is cool if you can afford it
[Image: 9cef0db8.jpg]

Always interested in quality Barnes, Red Sox, and Patriots

For my money, I've always been happy with Finest. I think the 2010 was a stronger product than 2011, but still happy with it.

Another thing to think about is what direction you want to go with your collection. Some guys go for just high end stuff like autos and really short print jersey cards. Other guys go for rookie cards, some go for entire sets, and some go for parallel sets of the same player. Think about what type of money your putting in and also experiment on what you enjoy most. For me personally I've never had the money to pursue big autos of my favorite players but i really enjoy completing parallel sets and also hunting down sp base cards. My collection isnt anything special as far as what its worth but I enjoy doing it and thats what the hobby is about.
Photobucket

(01-08-2012, 01:21 PM)cardpecker Wrote: You guys still haven't recommended me on what sets are good. Tongue
Anything that doesn't use a sticker autograph. You will be thankful later on.
Appearance over book value. I've seen some real high-end doozies....

(01-08-2012, 05:51 AM)cardpecker Wrote: Hello everyone,

I want to start collecting cards but have no clue on what boxes to buy.

Just want to point out that even though I am in it just to collect, I have a seller mentality by which I mean I like to buy boxes or cases in hopes of landing high value sought after cards (worth in the thousands). I just don't like the ideal of spending $$$ and getting mediocre/modest valued cards (worth a few dollars to hundreds).

What sets are the best to buy? which ones should I avoid? What should I be looking out for?

I also love Rookie cards and want to know what set a rc card would be the most high value sought after. Like if I was trying to get the best Andrew Luck RC card Smile

And what would you say are the do's and don't of collecting.

thanks in advance.
buy as much 2011 football as you can afford.due to the draft class of 2011, these cards will have high return in the long run. may i suggest the following products: 2011 topps chrome hobby, topps finest hobby, topps prime hobby, panini rookies and stars hobby, bowman sterling hobby, absolute memoribilia hobby, upper deck SP.

The thing to keep in mind is you can always trade those hits that aren't big $ for something that is better. The best thing to do is pick a team, set or player that you are interested in and trade towards that end.
[Image: Dallas-1.jpg]

Do: Expect to be disappointed in most of your buys.
Don't: Expect to pull cards worth in the thousands.

For the highest end hits, stick to products like Exquisite, National Treasures, etc. The biggest of the big hits will be in stuff that is $400+ per box. (pack) After breaking an average of 2 boxes per week for the last 2 years, my biggest ever is an Adrian Peterson /15 auto out of Premier, which is a far cry from being worth "thousands" if that gives you some perspective. Honestly, I think if you go in with the mentality of a seller, you are going to be extremely disappointed in 90% of your breaks.

(01-09-2012, 08:12 PM)joe callahan13 Wrote: Do: Expect to be disappointed in most of your buys.
Don't: Expect to pull cards worth in the thousands.

For the highest end hits, stick to products like Exquisite, National Treasures, etc. The biggest of the big hits will be in stuff that is $400+ per box. (pack) After breaking an average of 2 boxes per week for the last 2 years, my biggest ever is an Adrian Peterson /15 auto out of Premier, which is a far cry from being worth "thousands" if that gives you some perspective. Honestly, I think if you go in with the mentality of a seller, you are going to be extremely disappointed in 90% of your breaks.
+1.
I've been buying packs and boxes for about 18 years and have NEVER pulled a card worth $1K. Everyone hopes to be that lucky, few are. In fact busting wax to make $ is a bad idea; I've seen many try and not once did they turn a profit in the long run. Sure they might bust a box here and there and make all their $ back or more, but 95% of the time, it doesnt happen. This is a collecting hobby. So collect what you like, a team, player, set, whatever - just dont go into it with the idea you're going to make money or even break even becuase it just doesnt work like that.
for the record, as far as 2011 stuff goes, i liked, Topps finest, topps Chrome and Certified. But the big boys have yet to be released (Contenders and SP Authentic [if you dont mind college jerseys) so you might want to hold off till they are released. And if you're rich, yeah, Exquisite and Nat Treas are great but stupidly expensive.
NY Giants and HOF/legend/superstar collector.
[Image: GiantsFade.png]