`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who would you start a collection with? Griffin or Rose?

Who would you start a collection with? Griffin or Rose?
Basketball is back and we’re working on more stories for the upcoming Beckett magazines.

This month, we’re taking a closer look at how collectors would start their collections. Do you go after a guy like Blake Griffin, young phenom with a ton of upside, or Derrick Rose, the reigning league MVP.

I hope you can answer these questions within the next two weeks so I could compile my article.

1. What makes a basketball player collectible? What attributes do you look for?
2. When selling a product, who would rather promote? Griffin or Rose?
3. Who would you start your collection with if you had to choose one player? Griffin or Rose?
4. Collecting aside, what do you like about each player’s game?

Thanks!!
Beckett Football and Hockey Editor
Email: SusanL@beckett.com
Twitter: @YanxChick

RE: Who would you start a collection with? Griffin or Rose?
Rose, all the way.
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards

Consistency makes a player collectable. If the player is on some times and off others, interest also comes and goes. When they put up good numbers on the reg, then they become collectable. Sometimes it comes down to who ESPN is hyping up at the moment. I would go for Rose all the way also. Rose will be a role player for a long time, while Griffin is very subjectable to injury at any time. This will kill collectable value for him as it did Greg Oden if it happens. Rose could get hurt, but he will most likely return and be close to 100% after an ankle sprain or something like that. What I like about both players is that they bring excitement to each game. Wheather its a buzzer beater, a long three, a block or an ally oop. They also have a very good head on their shoulders. Well rounded all around good guys that everyone would love to get closer to in some way, like basketball cards with jeseys or autos. All in all, I think thats what all collectors are looking for. To be close to the players they admire and collecting brings us that much closer!

I don't really have an explanation just my gut go with... and that would be rose.
Personal Collections are as follows :
1) Knicks (anyone who has worn the jersey at one time or another and made a significant impact on the team.)
2) Latrell sprewell
3) Amare Stoudemire
4) Carmelo Anthony
5) Steve Nash
6) Chauncey Billups

Attributes I personally look for are players who arent that popular yet in which I can get the cards for a decent value with the chance of the player becoming a star. Eric Gordon is an example.
Others that I enjoy collecting are proven vets that card values have stablized. Nothing is worse then getting a sweet card of a star that just ended up becoming a fluke.
Rose, young and proven and has a strong shot at a championship this year. Griffin is still raw and currently not even the best player on his team.
3. Who would you start your collection with if you had to choose one player? Griffin or Rose?
Rose
Rose is a PG with a lot of flash but gets his teammates involved. Flashy players are always collectable!
Griffin is a young high flyer that needs to work on his game. Quavis was right when saying Griffin is an injury waiting to happen. Which could drop his collectablitiy down dramatically.

I hope you can answer these questions within the next two weeks so I could compile my article.

There's something about Blake that just stands out as a monster player for years to come. Taking nothing away form Rose, I would personally start with Blake

1. I love a player that makes you smile and nod your head right when you their name. It's intangible asset that a player brings when they are sought after. I look for dominace, accomplishments and popularity.

2. If I were selling a product I would promote Rose more just because he currently stands out a bit more (as of now) rather than Blake.

3. I would start with Griffin because I think he will catch the attention of people especially in LA which right now is a bigger market than Chicago.

4.Rose is a flashy playmaker and Griffin is a flashy play finisher!

I love the fact that Blake can jump over a KIA but this is no contest IMO...D-Rose all the Way!!...he's what 23? and already a league MVP...no where to go but up and Chicago is a huge market thanks to the MJ legacy...
[Image: arod.gif]

Me Personally Would stick with Rose he came in 08-09 and Have Already Clenched an MVP award the reason i would collect D. Rose over Griffin is the Same Reason I Collect Kobe over Lebron becaues Rose and Kobe are both Athletes like Michael Jordan and Blake and Lebron are just Beast Mode

I Look For a Player that uses his athleticism and speed for domination dont get me wrong i like crazy dunks but its so much better when a game is played smooth like a ballet

Rose on the Eastcoast and Definatlly Griffin on the West just depends what market you are trying to hit but Overall probly Griffin just becaues he is in LA which is a Way Bigger Market then Chicago

Rose all the Way he is my PC

I Like That Rose has alot of Similaritys to Michael Jordan and i Like Blake becaues he is a phenom and a super beast on the dunks both players are both fun to watch

griffin hasnt even developed as a player. Hes not even close to playing at the level as rose!

I first look at eBay to see how many of that players cards are being sold. Two players cards could have equal value but one player may be, for a variety of reasons, more popular than another.

Then I look at how early is that player in their career, and, often related to that, how affordable are their rookie cards. Some players, obviously, are very well established and their rookie cards are cost prohibitive, while others are just starting to become more well known and their rookie cards may still be attainable from a cost consideration.

I also look at the personality or likeability of the athlete. Bonds is the all time HR champ but I doubt that many people are collecting him now. LeBron took a major hit when he left Cleveland and the way that he did it. It's also more fun to collect players that you like and can root for more aggressively.

Of course there are so many additional factors as well (including regional considerations as has been noted above), but that is how I start.
X No spamming in signatures