`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it familiarity and fear of change, or something else?

RE: Is it familiarity and fear of change, or something else?
(12-30-2011, 11:28 AM)vgqv Wrote: Yup, the greedy self centered NBA commish awarded the contract to Panini over UD & Topps. Not because he thought they would do a better job but because they paid the most money and are an internationally based company (Italy, right?). NBA is all for overseas now. Think Stern was ever thinking about us basketball card collectors? He don't give a damn. All about that green.
Yeah, it was probably one of 20 licenses Stern signed that day for various products. I doubt he has given Basketball cards a second thought since.

Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea if everyone contacted the NBA and let them know we want more companies making licensed cards.

(12-30-2011, 11:44 AM)dodgytrousers Wrote: Yeah, it was probably one of 20 licenses Stern signed that day for various products. I doubt he has given Basketball cards a second thought since.

Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea if everyone contacted the NBA and let them know we want more companies making licensed cards.
I agree, good idea.

""" Dear. Mr. Grinch, would it be possible to allow Topps & Upper Deck to produce basketball cards along with Panini? Not everyone is a fan of Panini and would like more of a selection. Let me just get right down to it Mr. Commissioner, how much of a kickback would you need to get UD/Topps making NBA cards again? Yes, this is how much I miss UD/Topps basketball cards and I miss my hobby.

Sincerely,
the minority """
Inconstancy is my very essence says the wheel Rise up on my spokes if ya like but dnt complain wen ya cast back down into the depths Good times pass away but then so do the bad Mutability is our tragedy but its also our hope The worst of times like the best are always passin away http://www.photobucket.com/vgqv

Nice!

If any one really wants to email the NBA then this is a good place to start.

http://www.nba.com/email_us/contact_us.html

I agree with a lot of the comments posted. I personally don't have a problem with Panini, but they did come out saying that they were going to bring something new to the hobby (I haven't seen it yet). Mainly people want variety. Panini doesn't give me a lot of items from the people I collect. UD gave me soooo many problems with redemptions I had to go threw detox, lol. Topps never sent me two redemptions. They still had products I wanted, mainly UD. Panini doesn't produce a lot of products I personally like, so I usually stay away from them. Someone likes their stuff, because people are still picking it up. I feel like all companies should end the redemption process. They don't need to produce 20 diff products every year (if you can't guarantee the product before production, then don't add it to the print run). As far as I'm concerned, you can sell the shirt off your back as long as it's in the pack, lol.
I collect LeBron, Jordan, Kobe and anything that catches my eye.
[Image: SU1BRzAxODMtMS5qcGc-1.jpg]

I thought UD had a chance for the license, but they just wouldn't pay the fee. I don't think the NBA said no to them.

Quavis is correct - both UD and topps had an oppotunity to renew their license but they chose not to. I have told people this repeatedly, but it seems they just don't want to listen which has me thinking no one really paid attention to the news as it broke besides me. People are so set on this whole monopoly BS -what about Ice hockey between 2004 and 2010? What about Upper Decks exclusive deal with NCAA/CLC? What about UD's strangle hold on MLS? No one seems to be whinging about that.

Collect Patrick Ewing, Jalen Rose, Kevin Garnett, LaMarcus Aldridge, Jeff Green

if you have less than 25 trades, I will ask you to send first.

(01-01-2012, 06:22 PM)taffster74 Wrote: Quavis is correct - both UD and topps had an oppotunity to renew their license but they chose not to. I have told people this repeatedly, but it seems they just don't want to listen which has me thinking no one really paid attention to the news as it broke besides me. People are so set on this whole monopoly BS -what about Ice hockey between 2004 and 2010? What about Upper Decks exclusive deal with NCAA/CLC? What about UD's strangle hold on MLS? No one seems to be whinging about that.
I am not sure where you got your info from but at the time it was no secret to collectors here in California that the NBA was looking to offer an exclusive contract. It was of course mainly rumors in the months leading up to the announcement but it was confirmed by the NBA after the announcement. The only surprise here was that Panini was the one they chose. All us collectors assumed it was going to be Upper Deck or Topps.

All three companies were in talks with the NBA but Panini was chosen as the sole licensee. Sure, both Topps and Upper Deck could have made higher offers but it was the NBA's choice to go with a single company. If Topps had agreed to what the NBA wanted then it would have been a Topps exclusive license and the same if Upper Deck had agreed to the NBA's terms. It was purely down to which company agreed to to the best terms for the NBA (in other words; who paid the most)

At the time the NBA's press release said:

http://nba.paniniamerica.net/pdf/panini_...270109.pdf

“As we look to the future of our trading card business, there is general consensus, including with our current partners, Topps and Upper Deck, that moving forward with an exclusive partner is the best way for us to energize the category globally,” said Executive Vice President of NBA Global Merchandising Group Sal LaRocca in a news release."

That was a nice way of saying that Panini paid the most money and Topps and Upper Deck didn't match or better Panini's bid.

Topps said:

http://www.beckett.com/news/2009/01/pani...ufacturer/ (couldn't find original Topps Press Release but it is quoted in this Beckett article).

"We’ve had a strong relationship with the NBA, but the deal they made with Panini does not make economic sense for Topps. It may be great for the NBA, but the value wasn’t there for us and we've decided to invest elsewhere for the time being. We wish our colleagues at the NBA well and look forward to working with them in the future."

Upper Deck was more blunt about it in their statement:

http://sports.upperdeck.com/news/article.aspx?aid=5162

“While Upper Deck is disappointed with the NBA's decision to grant exclusive trading card rights to a new licensee, they are reinforcing their commitment to producing the highest quality, most innovative and value-rich basketball products. Specific plans for the remaining 2008-2009 Upper Deck basketball brands will be announced in the coming weeks.”

As I said before, both Upper Deck and Topps have said they want back in the game and Topps went as far as to tell followers on Twitter to contact the NBA and tell them they don't want a single company anymore.

(01-01-2012, 06:22 PM)taffster74 Wrote: Quavis is correct - both UD and topps had an oppotunity to renew their license but they chose not to. I have told people this repeatedly, but it seems they just don't want to listen which has me thinking no one really paid attention to the news as it broke besides me. People are so set on this whole monopoly BS -what about Ice hockey between 2004 and 2010? What about Upper Decks exclusive deal with NCAA/CLC? What about UD's strangle hold on MLS? No one seems to be whinging about that.
I think a lot of people don't like change (like when your favorite player on your favorite team gets traded away to another team). They're use to a certain way of doing things and certain products. It's tough when changes happens. I think a lot of people (not all) never really gave Panini a chance when they first jumped into the NBA market. Even if UD and/or Topps comes back into the NBA game, won't Panini still have a strangle hold on the NBA market with all of these contracts with Kobe, Durant, Wall, Griffin, Irving, etc?
[Image: Banner_zpsdfc1db81.jpg]
PC Team: San Antonio Spurs
PC Players: David Robinson & Tim Duncan

(01-02-2012, 01:55 AM)tmakact7 Wrote: I think a lot of people don't like change (like when your favorite player on your favorite team gets traded away to another team). They're use to a certain way of doing things and certain products. It's tough when changes happens. I think a lot of people (not all) never really gave Panini a chance when they first jumped into the NBA market. Even if UD and/or Topps comes back into the NBA game, won't Panini still have a strangle hold on the NBA market with all of these contracts with Kobe, Durant, Wall, Griffin, Irving, etc?
UD still have Jordan and LeBron, lol. Plus people still like UD and Topps designs.
I collect LeBron, Jordan, Kobe and anything that catches my eye.
[Image: SU1BRzAxODMtMS5qcGc-1.jpg]

Im with extreme.. I like basketball cards no matter who puts them out. My wife is pregnant again and our doctor hinted the posibility of twins.. I have to buy a new house now just to keep my card collection lol.
Personal Collections are as follows :
1) Knicks (anyone who has worn the jersey at one time or another and made a significant impact on the team.)
2) Latrell sprewell
3) Amare Stoudemire
4) Carmelo Anthony
5) Steve Nash
6) Chauncey Billups